Legs on TV

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Legs on TV

Post by Brad »

I was watching the TV news recently and the usual male meteorologist was substituted with a female meteorologist. She had on a dress and heels. I got to thinking, they both have the qualifications to present the same weather. But why does the female need to show her legs to do it?
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Legs on TV

Post by Ralph »

A better question is, why is she allowed to show her legs and he is not? Imagine the response if he announced he was going to start presenting the weather in skirt and tights.
Ralph!
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

A better question is, why is she allowed to show her legs and he is not?
Excellent point Ralph.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

British weather forecasters are quite different... you can just about tell if a weather girl is wearing a skirt by seeing no obvious bifurcated garment (camera is from mid thigh and abdomen upwards in most shots on BBC) though on Sky News they stand in front of a huge map walking to and fro pointing stuff out :)

I guess very few tune in to see a weatherman (though it was reported the late Queen admired one young presenter on BBC weather) :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Then there's the Spanish Language Weather Girls.
Short low-cut Body Con dress and overly high heels.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Brad wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:05 pm
A better question is, why is she allowed to show her legs and he is not?
Excellent point Ralph.
I agree Ralph has an excellent point but I also think the reason female Meteorologists wear skirts because that’s what viewers want to see. They don’t want to see mens legs bared
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

Back in the day I used to watch the Sky News weather every day in the hope of seeing Lucy Verasamy wearing a tight skirt and high heels. It didn’t matter what the weather forecast was, the sun always shone when she was on weather duty! Then she moved onto weather forecasting on breakfast TV and that was the last I saw of her
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ralph wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:48 pm Why is she allowed to show her legs and he is not?
He has exactly the same choices as all of us!
It is up to individual men to decide to skirt or not to skirt or when. Change can only happen when the "norms" are challenged.
Weather Forecaster don't quite hold the same celebrity status as movie or sports stars, and it would have a potential effect on their employment.
However, in terms of ratings, the potential could be huge even if it was just for the novelty value and the hype that would certainly ensue.
For the movement of men's fashion freedom, it would provoke a lot more comment than Brad Pitt, Billy Porter or even, Harry Styles.
Whether the outcome would be positive is anyone's guess and like the Virgin Cabin Steward, the dude would need balls of steel to bring it off.
Going back to point one, we may never know and until that hero emerges, never will.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

My weather forecaster varies. There is a little house on the shelf and when it is going to be rainy a little man comes out and when it is going to be fine a lady comes out wearing a skirt, albeit a long skirt. Looks like German or Swiss traditional clothing. They are never wrong.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

denimini wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:45 am My weather forecaster varies. There is a little house on the shelf and when it is going to be rainy a little man comes out and when it is going to be fine a lady comes out wearing a skirt, albeit a long skirt. Looks like German or Swiss traditional clothing. They are never wrong.
Hi denimini

I presume being from Outback Australia the lady in the long skirt is out more often than the man!!!
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

there be a way to find out how popular a guy with legs works for the weather. Hve him wear shorts! I know its not quite the leap we all hope for, but change takes time, and yes it would be a shock to management if he came out in a skirt 1 day, and a pink slip was handed to him right after he walked off
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

stephanie53 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:27 pm there be a way to find out how popular a guy with legs works for the weather. Hve him wear shorts! I know its not quite the leap we all hope for, but change takes time, and yes it would be a shock to management if he came out in a skirt 1 day, and a pink slip was handed to him right after he walked off
I mean, that'd be OK if it matched the color of his skirt.
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

the pink slip? a pink slip refers to a termination slip
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Pink Slip = Redundancy
And no one wants that!!

On one of the local TV stations near here, the weather man and the weather woman :lol: both were on screen at the same time both in rather low cut dresses. The audience voted for the one they liked best the man won by a large margin. Of course this was a publicity stunt. For the station to raise ratings as they were running last in the market.

As far as I know it has never been repeated.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

stephanie53 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:34 pm the pink slip? a pink slip refers to a termination slip
I should have put a smiley in :wink: