Dresses?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses?

Post by Midas »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:49 pm Thanks for the reply Midas. I was quite a skinny teen then did a lot of weight training because my mate had a gym. The result was a deep back which never went away even years after i stopped training.
If I really pushed myself to lose the excess fat then I think I would get down to about 12st 7. At 57 I have definitely a few pounds around the waist line. My rested heart rate is 63. I'm not as fit as you but neither am a FB with heart disease.
Since the pandemic I work from home which doesn't help.
Never going to look good in a dress. Maybe a tunic or a kaftan...there some lovely dresses out there that don't fit.
I don't want to look feminine anyway🙂
I wasn’t trying to suggest you are an FB, but was proselytising about the benefits of exercise. Looking at the photos you have posted I would have said you had been active with the weights at some point; I know a few who did that and it does tend towards a certain degree of upper body chunkiness that is bound to make suitable dresses more difficult to find.

I wouldn’t see you having much chance of looking feminine in a dress, but just like a man in a dress, which is the look I think most of us want. I wear a lot of floral and patterned dresses in a range of colours but don’t consider I look feminine in any of them. The balding pate, sometimes stubbly chin, deep voice and generally masculine demeanour give the lie to that.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:52 am You are right Steve you look good and not at all feminine.
I agree-Stevie doesn't look at all feminine in that long tee shirt. Neither does Jim in that brown shirt dress. These two men look decent in their respective outfits, while coming across as masculine. (The masculine part may be subjective, but that's good enough for me).
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Midas wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:54 pm
Barleymower wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:49 pm Thanks for the reply Midas. I was quite a skinny teen then did a lot of weight training because my mate had a gym. The result was a deep back which never went away even years after i stopped training.
If I really pushed myself to lose the excess fat then I think I would get down to about 12st 7. At 57 I have definitely a few pounds around the waist line. My rested heart rate is 63. I'm not as fit as you but neither am a FB with heart disease.
Since the pandemic I work from home which doesn't help.
Never going to look good in a dress. Maybe a tunic or a kaftan...there some lovely dresses out there that don't fit.
I wasn’t trying to suggest you are an FB, but was proselytising about the benefits of exercise. Looking at the photos you have posted I would have said you had been active with the weights at some point; I know a few who did that and it does tend towards a certain degree of upper body chunkiness that is bound to make suitable dresses more difficult to find.

I wouldn’t see you having much chance of looking feminine in a dress, but just like a man in a dress, which is the look I think most of us want. I wear a lot of floral and patterned dresses in a range of colours but don’t consider I look feminine in any of them. The balding pate, sometimes stubbly chin, deep voice and generally masculine demeanour give the lie to that.
Midas photo please. I for one, would like to see your floral or patterned dresses.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Purple Rain Adventure Dress in purple is now available. I started a separate thread on this new dress color. This dress is the best unisex dress I’ve found, with great pockets. It is a limited run if you want one.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I can’t get my photos small enough to upload to the cafe.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Midas wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:44 pm I can’t get my photos small enough to upload to the cafe.
I know it's really difficult. The file size has be very small ir it won't go. My method is to take a screen shot of the photo on my phone, crop it and up load that. On my laptop I use the snipping tool and upload that.
I really like to see other members outfits it helps with your own look and as we are few and far between there isn't much to go on.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I import my pics into publisher.
Size them to fit a 4" X 6" pic, save as a JPG file, then upload.
I've never had any problems with this procedure.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

My phone has an image resize function which works as a percentage.
I generally do a crop and submit at 20 or 40% of the original.
No problem.
Grok wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:26 pm I agree-Stevie doesn't look at all feminine in that long tee shirt.
Pedantic hat on Grok,
The long tee shirt is an alpaca wool knitted dress in a pseudo fair isle pattern.
Very warm and it had to be.
The photo was taken in February 2022 on a wet and windy Aberdeen night.
I had just attended an audience with Dame Zandra Rhodes and even managed to get her outlook on men in skirts.
Not especially optimistic I'm afraid to say but an interesting evening.
Thanks for the comment though!
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:49 pm
Regarding kaftans, I would refer you to images posted by that fellow Ron. My subjective reaction is that he looks masculine in those outfits.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I’ll have a fiddle about to see what might work. Does anyone know what file types can be uploaded and what the maximum file size is?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Midas wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:48 pm I’ll have a fiddle about to see what might work. Does anyone know what file types can be uploaded and what the maximum file size is?
It says it at the upload page 768kb but experience says keep it well below that figure. Hard when photos are so huge these days.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Grok wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:29 pm
Barleymower wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:49 pm
Regarding kaftans, I would refer you to images posted by that fellow Ron. My subjective reaction is that he looks masculine in those outfits.
Ron is slay!
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

This is the dress I recently got and can be seen in my Pics thread.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08574BFPL/ ... eml_rv0_dp

No shaping at all but thats perfect, and no waist either. Plain and simple.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

skirted84 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:15 pm No shaping at all but thats perfect, and no waist either. Plain and simple.
Yup that works for me too.
On that note SK84, I reckon it's about time I took another trip to Glasgow.
While it is still dress like weather would be good, give me a shout when you are free.
Steve.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Have tried and liked several Icebreaker merino wool dresses, but they were all a bit to tight in the chest for me. This Merino Granary Dress, midi tee style, looks like a possibility. Seems much more loose in chest. Has anyone tried it?