Dresses?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
KenCT

Re: Dresses?

Post by KenCT »

Just received this ordered from Sierra.com (US chain, owned by TJX). It's a clearance item now. Don't know how long this link will be valid ...

https://www.sierra.com/kyodan-outdoor-u ... s~d~493%2F

Advertised as 'dropped waist' style, which I hoped would fall at my actual waist -- and it does! It is size L(arge), US size 12 - 14; I am 5'6" / 168 cm
Very satisfied with the fit.

dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

KenCT wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:29 am Just received this ordered from Sierra.com (US chain, owned by TJX). It's a clearance item now. Don't know how long this link will be valid ...

https://www.sierra.com/kyodan-outdoor-u ... s~d~493%2F

Advertised as 'dropped waist' style, which I hoped would fall at my actual waist -- and it does! It is size L(arge), US size 12 - 14; I am 5'6" / 168 cm
Very satisfied with the fit.

Nice find, and bonus points for having pockets!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I love that dress and would get one ASAP, BUT, they are not made large
enough for me. Depending on the manufacturer, I need a 2X/2XL as I have
a 52" chest.

I like the prices but the size selection is a major determining factor. :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I like the dress very much and would wear it everywhere. BUT as Al says the size problem has me left out. Why do these clothing manufacturers forget we extra large folks exist. I have seen several dresses and skirts that I would love to wear but they are not made for anyone larger than Twiggy! I have yet to find a dress on Amazon the is made for us plus sized folks that will fit.
A lot of the ones that do make clothes for the plus sized make them look like tents or just flat out ugly.

ARGGGGG!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Midas wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:50 pm
I think it is something that more men can explore. It’s certainly worthwhile as a dress can be even more liberating than a skirt.
Hello Midas, I have found that dresses can be very liberating like you say. As a matter of fact the right dress can be the next best thing to going totally nude. I have worn something like the following.
https://www.hanes.com/hanes-originals-w ... dress.html
https://www.temu.com/versatile-tank-dre ... 64173.html
l wore the sleeveless one with a light weight short sleeved shirt over the top. Both were very comfortable.
I actually found them at resale shops for less the five dollars each. I think what I like best is having nothing binding around the waist. That and going commando is the next best thing to being totally nude and yet completely covered.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I’ve been wearing dresses exclusively on my outings for months now, and I’ve been loving the experience, so much that I don’t even think about donning a skirt these days. I concur with Midas that it is indeed most liberating to wear a dress, and a hell of a lot of fun too, that’s the important thing!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I have tried some dresses and unfortunately my body type doesn't work well, at least now 10 or so years they might have. if I can drop the 25# that the cancer Rx has put on me I might try them again. Here is a Lightheart gear hiking dress I tried. The medium was tight in the chest and the large was too loose in the hips. I also thought the sleeves were a little short
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

e2k2houck wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:32 pm Here is a Lightheart gear hiking dress I tried. The medium was tight in the chest and the large was too loose in the hips.
It's your taste that matters, but what is wrong with being loose in the hips? That is part of what makes a dress comfortable to me.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

The medium was tight in the chest and the large was too loose in the hips. I also thought the sleeves were a little short.
The short sleeves are what appeals to me. Also, being comfortable in the chest means the rest of the dress will properly
fit over my abdomen(fat belly). Arm holes, usually, are the most constricting issue with dresses(that and small waists).
Men's arms are larger in diameter than most women's arms. A raglan sleeve style dress will work 90% of the time for most
men.

Loose in the hips is FANTASTIC :D You get better air flow around your lower body with the added benefit of being cooler.
Helps to radiate off body heat. I've worn a tank dress, and ones with spaghetti straps, with a loose Hawaiian style(no shirt
tails) shirt over the top. EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE :D

Comfortable clothing is what we're looking for, not constricting/restricting clothing causing some health problems to happen.

What ever clothing style you choose, be comfortable and happy with your choice :D

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I was talking with Judy at Lightheart and she said that she was going to work on a hiking dress for men
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

e2k2houck wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:25 pmI was talking with Judy at Lightheart and she said that she was going to work on a hiking dress for men
This is excellent news. I will be watching for another suitable hiking dress in addition to the excellent Purple Rain dress. Hope they offer the same colors as in their skirt. Weight will be really important, keeping this dress at around 200g (7 oz).

Returned my Lightheart 2X-Large skirt today for a 3X-Large. Looking forward to wearing this skirt.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

e2k2houck wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:32 pm I have tried some dresses and unfortunately my body type doesn't work well, at least now 10 or so years they might have. if I can drop the 25# that the cancer Rx has put on me I might try them again. Here is a Lightheart gear hiking dress I tried. The medium was tight in the chest and the large was too loose in the hips. I also thought the sleeves were a little short
[/quote

It fits you very well. I don't think you are giving yourself credit.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

SkirtedWalker wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:28 pm
e2k2houck wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:25 pmI was talking with Judy at Lightheart and she said that she was going to work on a hiking dress for men
This is excellent news. I will be watching for another suitable hiking dress in addition to the excellent Purple Rain dress. Hope they offer the same colors as in their skirt. Weight will be really important, keeping this dress at around 200g (7 oz).

Returned my Lightheart 2X-Large skirt today for a 3X-Large. Looking forward to wearing this skirt.
what color did you order?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I ordered - and am returning - this one:

https://fahertybrand.com/products/linen ... 0871130181

I thought it fit extremely well (a M fit me), but it was wayyyy too expensive for me to keep it. Perhaps it will go on sale one day - but even then I have not had the courage to breach that barrier, and I think it might be too much of a stretch to waste any money on it.

The self-belt was a bit higher than I would like it to be, and I struggled with how to “accessorize” it. Like, it had pockets, but it’s very disconcerting to wear just one tube - I felt like I needed a real belt, and something else like perhaps a jacket. I also was a bit iffy on footwear - I thought boots would be nice, sandals felt too cultish for my liking.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Coder wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:09 amI ordered - and am returning - this one:

https://fahertybrand.com/products/linen ... 0871130181

I thought it fit extremely well (a M fit me), but it was wayyyy too expensive for me to keep it.
Perhaps it will go on sale one day - but even then I have not had the courage to breach that
barrier, and I think it might be too much of a stretch to waste any money on it.
Very nice, and simple, design.
I have one similar to it from, I think, Walmart.com or Woman Within.
However, the price is way out of line with today's economy. I paid around
$20-25.00 for my blue denim dress and wear it quite often :D

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician