Hello everyone

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Keildersoul

Hello everyone

Post by Keildersoul »

Hi.
I'm pleased to be here. I have been wearing skirts for many years now, that is both kilts and skirts, also palazzo pants and culottes.

A little about me. Physically I am very much a male and very happy to be so. Emotionally not so much. But I like to mix things up and feel very comfortable mixing my "styles" of dress. My favourite look being a midi length skirt and boots with a jacket shirt and tie on top. I need to be smart most days.

I have been in the military in the UK, in industry and in customer facing roles too. Currently I make wooden jewellery and ornaments in my cave here in the northern wilderness of England, a region that I love so much. Little works of art that I sell through various outlets.

Love, peace and health to you all

Jen x
Love, peace and health

Jenni x
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Come on in sit down on the sofa and have a cuppa. Welcome to the forum.
We are a motley crew of the worlds best people. So don't be afraid to speak up and say whats on your mind.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Keildersoul,

You mention the wilderness of Northern England. That must be somewhere North of Watford, I expect. Consulting the Londoners' map of the UK it features two fingers pointing roughly North, one labelled 'Scotland', the other labelled 'Yorkshire', both inhabited, so we're told.

My view of all this is from the relative safety (from Bo-Jo & similar) of Outer Hibernia, to which I dragged a native Sasannach lass more than half-a-Century ago.

You need a wilderness to enjoy skirting and I do this almost daily accompanied by a large dog.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

Welcome to the forum
New-in-Skirts

Post by New-in-Skirts »

Welcome to the forum and and joy the company and conversation.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

When I was small we used to visit my father's brother in Hendon and on the way back to Durham [0] County there was a sign at the side of the A1 I think somewhere near either Grantham or Newark which, in big friendly white letters on a blue background, said "The North". Of course in the past 40-odd years the sign could have gone. Not sure of the sign's exact location either - it was a long time ago and that road was travelled by me since. Maybe the North has been redefined. I know that Suvverners thought the North started after Watford as Tom said. The Norvern perspective is that the Souff is a nebulous area centred by London, home of Harrods, the odd museum or two and some famous buildings such as St Pauls, and has the entrance to the Chunnel. Yorkshire is inhabited and lost their clutch of dragons when St George had the last one cooked as BBQ steaks in a celebration for King Arthur's wedding.

[0] Pink Panther country - durum, durum, durum, durum, durum.

Oh, and welcome to the cafe - a saner group you will never meet although some sense of humours are definitely off-centre.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I need to bring Sinned (Dennis) into line here, having read his post. I can pull age rank on him, so I read the reports of King Arthur's wedding in the local rag, the 'Yorkie'. I wasn't important enough to get an invite of course, so I have to believe him when he talks of BBq'd dragon steaks. :cyclops:

As to the location of the entrance to the Chunnel.....That is in fact furver souff (than Londinium) near a place called Folksfone. From there on a clear day you can see the Cap on Griz-Nez, whoever he is.

Tom

P.S. the Pink Panther was used for pest control. Not durum,durum, but dead ant---dead ant---!
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:09 pm When I was small we used to visit my father's brother in Hendon and on the way back to Durham [0] County there was a sign at the side of the A1 I think somewhere near either Grantham or Newark which, in big friendly white letters on a blue background, said "The North". Of course in the past 40-odd years the sign could have gone.
I remember hearing a radio talk on exactly that subject, more than 40 years ago. It was by a professor of linguistics who, like you, had noted that there are signs pointing towards The North all the way up the main road and the motorway, but they never let you know when you have actually arrived there.

His conclusion, which must have surprised many northerners (including my wife), was that the industrial cities of Leeds and Bradford and their surrounding areas are not The North, but merely the north Midlands. Linguistically, you don't get to The North proper until you reach the dales of the old North Riding of Yorkshire, with the Viking influence on language and place names. So I think that locates Sinned pretty much on the border ;-)
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Hello to Kieldersoul.
I suspect that the name gives a location, as in the forest of that name in the extreme North of England.
Welcome from 'A Town in the West Country' down in what we call the Wet of England, although I have no doubt that you also receive copious quantities of 'liquid sunshine'.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Keildersoul wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:10 am Hi.
I'm pleased to be here. I have been wearing skirts for many years now, that is both kilts and skirts, also palazzo pants and culottes.

A little about me. Physically I am very much a male and very happy to be so. Emotionally not so much. But I like to mix things up and feel very comfortable mixing my "styles" of dress. My favourite look being a midi length skirt and boots with a jacket shirt and tie on top. I need to be smart most days.

I have been in the military in the UK, in industry and in customer facing roles too. Currently I make wooden jewellery and ornaments in my cave here in the northern wilderness of England, a region that I love so much. Little works of art that I sell through various outlets.

Love, peace and health to you all

Jen x
Welcome! Would love to see the neat things you make!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Coming up the A1 I sort of considered Doncaster as the beginning of The North. Not official, of course but just my impression. Not considered the red rose side as I rarely go that far west. Leeds is north but Sheffield is practically midlands.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Having travelled the A1 many times in both directions between various homes in Northumberland and Scotland to visit family strung out between the Thames corridor and the Severn Bridge, I can confidently tell you that "The North" still appears on signs at least as far south as Grantham. In fact, it may now be on the new(ish) stretch of A1(M)[0] between the Alconburys and Peterborough.

[0] Unless you share my strange fascination with all things road and traffic-related, ignore the rest!

Roads in the UK have various classifications and numbers. 'A' roads were originally the main roads linking large towns, though by comparison to some nations they were country lanes! The A1 runs north from London to Edinburgh. Motorways began to appear in the 1960s, starting with M1. They are roughly equivalent to Freeways, Interstates, Highways or Autoroutes. Some sections of A roads were upgraded to Motorway to ease traffic congestion, hence A1(M)

End of traffic lecture.]
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Sorry, kind of tired just now, so I will keep my greeting fairly brief:

Hi!

That'll have to do!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ah, so it was Grantham. Nice to know that it's still there. Of course the dividing line between "North" and "South" isn't parallel to the longtitude lines but drifts north as you move west.

Allegedly.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you've followed a life fitting your personhood and likely have insights and experiences to share with us, on less-conventional clothing choices for men, vocation and avocational interests. You will certainly find a far ranging gamut of characters herein providing both insights and delights. Dig in, see what there is; and toss out some of your own.

Greetings from the land of Pura Vida,
Costa Rica