It's all about "sex"

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by pelmut »

oldsalt1 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:09 am Moon unlike other countries you can leave. Pack up and get the f--k out but you wont because no matter where you went you would be worse off
Your comment, although unnecessarily unpleasant, gave me a wry smile as it reminded me of the Bruce Bairnsfather cartoon "The Better 'Ole"
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:25 amIf he gets voted back in then you, as a nation, truly will have the leader you deserve. I honestly feel sorry for those of you that actually have to live in America.
The problem is that the "choice" is going to be between Trump and Biden and Biden is just one more "Father Knows Best" [0] fossil from the 1950s -- and we've had quite enough of them, thank-you-very-much. So, essentially there is no choice because it's already been decided. Gah! It's like looking out the window and seeing a stegosaurus in your back yard.

"Is there any way they can both lose?" [1]

That's even if there is an "election".

[0] a 1950s US television sit-com.
[1] attributed to Henry Kissinger regarding the Iran/Iraq War
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You know what

**** you Dan
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:09 am[...] unlike other countries you can leave. Pack up and get the f--k out but you wont because no matter where you went you would be worse off
Not so fast. It's not as easy as you may think. Getting out is actually incredibly complex as I found out in the 1980s when I'd had enough of the start of the debacle we find ourselves now and really wanted out -- and I was young, vigourous, and had a full working life ahead of me with a skill-set that's eminently marketable anywhere computers are found. The paperwork is positively insane, the country you want to emigrate to needs to accept you -- and there are a laundry-list of requirements, and you will inevitably require a sponsor/employer before the paperwork can even start. It's too high a bar to clear, so lay off that argument.

Even in the mid 1980s, US citizens weren't particularly welcomed by other nations save for being tolerated as tourists.

Yes, in theoretical terms emigration from the US is possible. In practical terms it's not -- and the situation has only gotten worse over the years.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:48 amYour comment, although unnecessarily unpleasant, gave me a wry smile as it reminded me of the Bruce Bairnsfather cartoon "The Better 'Ole"
That brought a big smile to my face as it's very similar in sentiment to some of Bill Mauldin's work which has been a favourite of mine for years
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I too feel sorry for you in the USA.

I’m perpetually puzzled that anyone would want to move there, but as immigrants seem to be from Mexico, Caribbean etc, maybe it’s all relative. How many migrate from Canada? That would be interesting.

How sad that you’re not allowed to criticise your country or leadership without being told to leave. So criticism is banned, is it, isn’t that one of the signs of a totalitarian state? The US needs vocal critics. It needs accountability as Dennis pointed out. It needs to be less polarised. It needs a leader that thinks and acts like a mature adult.

Yet there is so much that is positive about the country too.

It’s just hidden at the moment.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ray wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:38 pm How sad that you’re not allowed to criticise your country or leadership without being told to leave.
Yeah... that's pretty much the way it is.

But I'm not surprised by the comment, though I would have missed it had pelmut not quoted it as I've had Dan on ignore for a while now.

But this marks the second time he's called for my departure. But it's like this, if I ever do leave this sh!t hole (hey his majesty, the all mighty Trump is allowed to say that!) it will be because I chose to, not because he wants me to... aside from that.. if he wants me gone, he can march down here and make me...

Trump will win in November, not because he's a good guy, but because he's an asshole, and this nation is full of them! So... this country can go to hell for all I care.

That "nice enough" for ya big Dan?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Now

Oldsalt suckered punched me on his post... I hit back.

I think he needs to put me on ignore, as it is clear he is about as interested in what I have to say as I am him.

The fact remains, in my judgment Donald Trump is one of the worst people I think I've ever heard of. His Twitter feeds is downright juvenile, crass, spiteful, and mean spirited... that in and of itself isn't such a big deal if not for the fact that a voters majority of Americans still think he's the greatest thing since Christ (some say he's even better).

That is appalling and downright sickening. He has brought out the absolute worst in this nation, and we can't get enough!

Thus my conclusion on the matter. If that offends... oh well. Since when does the far right care about hurting feelings? Oh they are all about "making liberals cry again" but when someone says something against their glorious lord and savior, Donald the Christ Trump... ohhh... watch out! :roll:
-Andrea
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Ray wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:38 pm I too feel sorry for you in the USA.

I’m perpetually puzzled that anyone would want to move there, but as immigrants seem to be from Mexico, Caribbean etc, maybe it’s all relative. How many migrate from Canada? That would be interesting.

How sad that you’re not allowed to criticise your country or leadership without being told to leave. So criticism is banned, is it, isn’t that one of the signs of a totalitarian state? The US needs vocal critics. It needs accountability as Dennis pointed out. It needs to be less polarised. It needs a leader that thinks and acts like a mature adult.

Yet there is so much that is positive about the country too.

It’s just hidden at the moment.
First off Moon brought up leaving the country not me.

What's really a sad is that anyone can criticize and condemn this country an its unpopular to some President and what they say is placidly accepted.

yet its a mortal sin to contest what people say and defend the country and its soon to be 2 term president
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Its funny at the time of President Trump's election Streisand woppie Goldberg mike lee and about 20 other prominent stars were crying and stating that they would leave the country if he won

Out of the 23 who said they would leave 22 are still here .. God what a terrible country this must be
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:19 pmOut of the 23 who said they would leave 22 are still here .. God what a terrible country this must be
It is extraordinarily difficult to escape the grasp of the US Government. Tried that. In the '80s. Failed miserably. The stack of paperwork would have outweighed me -- even assuming I could find a county that would have me.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

It's like this, and I'm not worried about the likes of oldsalt, stu, or whomever, however I realize my comments may have served to alienate myself from some members here that have enjoyed my contributions, and of whom I've considered friends.

Look, it's not about republican ideologies, it's okay if people don't like Biden, it's okay if people are conservative in all matters, it's not about the ideologies of the republican party, many of whom I agree with, it's about the issue that Trump is clearly an awful human being.

I can tolerate virtually any candidate from either side.

To my friends, Uncle Al, Fred, and other conservatives, I understand and respect that you are not democrats, I'm not really a Democrat either, but I beg of you... PLEASE do some soul searching before you rubber stamp Trump.

I've lost all respect for my father, not because he's a republican, but because he's sold his very soul to a monster! Al, Fred, the others.... you're better than this... we can do better.

Vote for him if you must BUT AT LEAST HOLD HIM ACCOUNTABLE.

You all know that his behavior would NOT be tolerated in any other setting, and if we had a member here who employed the exact same style, Al... you yourself would ban him and you know it.

Look at all the people that bastard has hurt in the last three years... is this the America you want? I know you all are better than that... at least I hope so.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I can not be silent anymore, and I regret that it may cost me friendships as I regret that it already has cost me family...

But I can no longer sit idle and pretend like Trump is "good guy".

He's not. I simply don't have the vocabulary to adequately describe my loathsome opinion of that so called "man".
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:46 pmI can not be silent anymore, and I regret that it may cost me friendships as I regret that it already has cost me family...
It's usually attributed to Winston Churchill, and although I have no idea who first elucidated it here it is, "So you have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something at least once in your life!"

Life is not a popularity contest, although lots treat it as if it was. A very long time ago indeed I set the goal for myself, "In some small way, I am going to change this world for the better." It's made me plenty of enemies in my time, but that changes nothing; I have actually achieved the goal. There is an active field that's interested in the history of computing now where there really wasn't much of one before, and I've been told more than a few times that I was the spark that started someone's interest. There are fully-operational historical computers running today that otherwise would be landfill or "raw materials". And now I'm trying to change it again when it comes to sartorial freedom for guys -- and unlike some, I lead by example. Will it work? Who the heck knows. But it's been an interesting ride.

Silence and acquiescence are for the weak. Dare to speak truth to power. Dare to call it out each and every time you see power abuse its position.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Unfortunately, as I consider it, I suppose my biggest contribution to the world is simply staying out of the way and abiding by the rules.

I have yet to see the fruits that such a lifestyle has yielded, other than that of a man who has bitten his tongue to the point where its about to fall out....

Enough sugar coating... enough sparing the feelings of those, who for years have shoved their "values" down my throat whether I approved or not.

I'm not a perfect man, but I don't deserve to be a walking mat to anyone who has to rant about something. I will be respected, if anyone takes issue with that, move on down the line.

There are now two people here whom I have cast aside as no longer worthy of my time... I am happy to discuss and debate opposing views... but anyone chooses disrespect me... they're BLOCKED.
-Andrea