5.11 kilts

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: 5.11 kilts

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:23 pm It has "tactical" right in the name, so it's quite manly. :D
So I can wear it when I’m storming the castle a la Princess Bride? Inconceivable!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Perhaps this is "manly" enough, described as a "battle" kilt but I have no idea what weapons this dude is concealing.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

ScotL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:29 pm ...I always heard these 5.11 commando kilts were amazing.

So why? What is it about them that stands out?
The 5.11 Tactical kilts are just a quality modern utility kilt, in reasonably good quality fabric (mid-weight rip-stop). They are significantly lighter than most others I have seen, as the center back is a flat panel in place of some of the pleats. Less "kilt like" and more practical as a result. Also, way cheaper than a Utilikilt...

Honestly, they are the only ones I wear as much as my Utilikilts, and I own fewer of them.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Dust wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:03 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:29 pm ...I always heard these 5.11 commando kilts were amazing.

So why? What is it about them that stands out?
The 5.11 Tactical kilts are just a quality modern utility kilt, in reasonably good quality fabric (mid-weight rip-stop). They are significantly lighter than most others I have seen, as the center back is a flat panel in place of some of the pleats. Less "kilt like" and more practical as a result. Also, way cheaper than a Utilikilt...

Honestly, they are the only ones I wear as much as my Utilikilts, and I own fewer of them.
Thanks, being lighter weight is intriguing
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Dust wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:03 pm The 5.11 Tactical kilts are just a quality modern utility kilt, in reasonably good quality fabric (mid-weight rip-stop). They are significantly lighter than most others I have seen, as the center back is a flat panel in place of some of the pleats.
Has the fabric on yours softened up over time? Mine have been through a few washings and they're still kind of crisp/stiff. Maybe that's by design, they feel more like a uniform. I kind of wish it would soften up and drape a little smoother.

The 4 snaps (3 waist/one under apron) are kind of nice vs. a typical kilt setup though, I'll give them that.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:45 pm Has the fabric on yours softened up over time? Mine have been through a few washings and they're still kind of crisp/stiff. Maybe that's by design, they feel more like a uniform. I kind of wish it would soften up and drape a little smoother.

The 4 snaps (3 waist/one under apron) are kind of nice vs. a typical kilt setup though, I'll give them that.
They are something of a uniform company so I think that's intentional. They sell pants to law enforcement a bit if I understand correctly.

It softened some, but not a whole lot. And honestly, the thing about the fabric I don't like is the way it doesn't breathe very well not the stiffness. The fact that it's a skirt easily makes up for the fabric with good ventilation. They may have changed their fabric on more recent kilt runs.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Dust wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:10 pm
It softened some, but not a whole lot. And honestly, the thing about the fabric I don't like is the way it doesn't breathe very well not the stiffness. The fact that it's a skirt easily makes up for the fabric with good ventilation. They may have changed their fabric on more recent kilt runs.
Seems like something to wait on then. I’m not overly loving a kilt that’s stiff and on the heavier side of a skirt. I have one from utility kilt or something and I got it to work in. Good. But just stiff and not as comfortable as I’d like. Washed it a few times to “soften” but nope. My other kilts are PV or hiking kilts from sports kilt and they’re a helluva lot more comfortable.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Dust wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:10 pm They are something of a uniform company so I think that's intentional. They sell pants to law enforcement a bit if I understand correctly.
Yep, they started out making climbing gear but mostly sell to LEO and adjunct groups these days it seems.