Can a skirt ever look masculine

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Can a skirt ever look masculine

Post by jamie001 »

Let’s stop worry about appearing masculine, and instead worry about appearing cute and pretty. If we are cute and pretty in our clothing than we have achieved success.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:13 am Masculine is a concept that does not better society or ourselves.
Agreed.
jamie001 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:13 am We should strive to be more feminine.
In my opinion, feminine is also a concept that does not better society or ourselves.

Let's just be decent human beings and forget about sexist stereotypes.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:13 am
e2k2houck wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:40 am I think its more how you carry yourself is how you can make clothing be masculine.
Masculine is a concept that does not better society or ourselves. We should strive to be more feminine. The overwhelming majority of masculinity is bravado. What is left is good characteristics that also exist in femininity. We don’t need masculinity. Masculinity’s time has past and has not been needed since the day of the dinosaurs.
I think that there's a difference between Masculine and Macho. I think the time of Macho is over. The Macho tough guy should be gone and a caring Masculine men is now. Being Masculine and a soft caring man is what we should all try to be.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

e2k2houck wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:12 pmI think that there's a difference between Masculine and Macho. I think the time of Macho is over. The Macho tough guy should be gone and a caring Masculine men is now. Being Masculine and a soft caring man is what we should all try to be.
It's nice to see someone else get this concept.

There is precisely nothing wrong with masculinity when it's not carried to the extremes such as the (bad) parody of machismo.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I don't understand why we are so entrenched in being masculine when it is just an antiquated social construct. We should just be ourselves and forget the concepts of masculine and feminine.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:41 pmI don't understand why we are so entrenched in being masculine when it is just an antiquated social construct. We should just be ourselves and forget the concepts of masculine and feminine.
Jamie, we all know that you're mad because you weren't born a girl -- and that's OK. Men in modern years have gotten nothing but the shaft when it comes to society -- to the point where just being a human being with an X-Y chromotype gets one branded as "toxic".

Gender expression has always been a spectrum and comprised of assorted traits that men generally have and women generally have with a large portion of that area shared equally. The problem is that in the modern world men have been shoved into a far corner of that spectrum into a box called "machismo" which is a fourth-rate parody of what it actually means to be a man, and women have expanded into the rest of the area and staked it for their own. Men today need to break out of the "Macho Box" and reclaim their birthright to all the same traits that they have always had -- and shared with women. This -- in spite of your rhetoric -- does not mean abandoning what it is to be a man (masculinity), for there is virtue in that. We as a species need both; what we can do without is the far extremes of either.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:03 pm Men today need to break out of the "Macho Box" and reclaim their birthright to all the same traits that they have always had -- and shared with women. This -- in spite of your rhetoric -- does not mean abandoning what it is to be a man (masculinity), for there is virtue in that. We as a species need both; what we can do without is the far extremes of either.
Amen to that Carl! We as a species were never meant to be boxed in a tight little area that only makes men a toxic threat to the rest of humanity. As MEN we need to push away the box and go forth with strength and dignity to regain our birthright.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ampus991

Post by Ampus991 »

The skirt in itself is gender neutral, though it carries gender connotations. A denim skirt is about as masculine as you'll get though if it were me and the skirt had a slit, then I'd prefer it to be at the back and not the front.

What I would say though is that your pose is somewhat feminine: one hand reading on your waist, the other hanging down; this seems to.be a stock pose for women modelling skirts when you visit whatever website it is. If your pockets are hidden so you can't stick your thumbs in them (yes, just thumbs) then fold your arms behind your back; this will make your shoulders appear broader, even if not naturally broad. Also, stand with your legs somewhat apart; then, voilà, you'll look like a no-nonsense security guard who's elected to wear a skirt. Rock on!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Ampus991 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:12 am The skirt in itself is gender neutral, though it carries gender connotations. A denim skirt is about as masculine as you'll get though if it were me and the skirt had a slit, then I'd prefer it to be at the back and not the front.

What I would say though is that your pose is somewhat feminine: one hand reading on your waist, the other hanging down; this seems to.be a stock pose for women modelling skirts when you visit whatever website it is. If your pockets are hidden so you can't stick your thumbs in them (yes, just thumbs) then fold your arms behind your back; this will make your shoulders appear broader, even if not naturally broad. Also, stand with your legs somewhat apart; then, voilà, you'll look like a no-nonsense security guard who's elected to wear a skirt. Rock on!
There is no reason that you need to strike some macho pose to wear a skirt. Feminine poses and all feminine things are fine. By becoming more feminist in our actions we evolve to be a better person. Masculinity is a thing of the past.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

jamie001 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:30 pm There is no reason that you need to strike some macho pose to wear a skirt.
Very true!
jamie001 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:30 pm Masculinity is a thing of the past.
Then you spoil it by spouting this, why?
If you think that simply feminising men will act as some magic bullet then you are utterly wrong.
Masculinity will evolve but it will survive!
Steve.
bikesaurus

Post by bikesaurus »

jamie001 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:30 pmBy becoming more feminist in our actions we evolve to be a better person. Masculinity is a thing of the past.
I think this is a pretty bad take. You'll find a lot of us don't agree with this. I do think there are some very negative behaviors and attributes commonly associated with masculinity, that doesn't mean throw it out. I firmly believe that masculine and feminine are societal constructs, and society can redefine what those constructs mean. It's up to us to make that happen.

Personally, I don't really understand what is masculine and feminine, and think we as a society could do better to just eliminate them completely. I also recognize that's a pretty radical idea. Instead, I'll settle for redefining masculinity to include being brave enough to wear whatever the heck you want. Femininity can include that as well.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Masculine and feminine appearances lie in the eyes and judgment of the beholder.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

jamie001 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:30 pm
There is no reason that you need to strike some macho pose to wear a skirt. Feminine poses and all feminine things are fine. By becoming more feminist in our actions we evolve to be a better person. Masculinity is a thing of the past.
I've no wish to put anyone down and some of what you say maybe true. The future is female as is often said. However you have been put down on several occasions with no come back, only to return a later date with same meanless rhetoric.
steamman

Post by steamman »

Can’t we move to a world where we ditch masculine and feminine ? It’s nothing but a social construct. Here is a radical idea: let people be who they are without labels.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

steamman wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:35 am Can’t we move to a world where we ditch masculine and feminine ? It’s nothing but a social construct. Here is a radical idea: let people be who they are without labels.
That is radical! Also a great idea.