Can a skirt ever look masculine

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Can a skirt ever look masculine

Post by crfriend »

Letting people be who they are without labels is all well and good, but mankind needs a way to classify "things" into various classes. It's when the name assigned to that "thing" starts being used as a pejorative that we have a serious problem.

For the sake of argument, we can take "masculinity" which Jamie001 and the Radical Feminists rail incessantly about using the term as a pejorative -- that's destructive. The mere existence of the term "[rad-fem hate-speech redacted]" is a vicious slur against roughly 50% of the population, assigned simply because of their chromosomal makeup, not their behaviours. That's hate speech, pure and simple. In reality, it's just a term that indicates that most men share a set of traits that help define them as men -- such as the ability and willingness to take on risk in order to make a situation better or temporarily shut down their fears if the going gets very tough. Men are typically more active participants in their environments than are the women; women tend to be slightly more passive, stable, and nurturing.

Finally, and before someone tries to take me to task for using absolutes -- these are traits not guarantees. Everything in the organic world exists on an analogue spectrum. We are no exception.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Back on track with this thread, leaving historical garb aside, e.g. Egyptian, Roman, Biblical and current Oriental sulus & similar, also Greek Palace guards, the only item in relatively frequent use is the knee-length Kilt, with or without sporran.

After that, it's the towel round he waist leaving the shower/bath/sauna. Everything else will be perceived as female/fetish. Truth.

The recent multiplication of LGBT parades has increased the opportunities for flaunting one's fetish outside of Halloween, but I would not meet any old friends and such a gathering or make any new ones, nor go there.

Within our family dynasty, I get on famously with all progeny/descendants numbering sixteen at the last count (apart from MOH & Self) and I'll keep it organic and apply the analogue spectrum.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Kirbstone wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:56 pm The recent multiplication of LGBT parades has increased the opportunities for flaunting one's fetish outside of Halloween,
One of the reasons behind LGBT parades is to demonstrate that being L, G, B or T is not a fetish   ...or were you referring to wearing a skirt as a fetish? in which case you do yourself a disservice.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Pelmut,
I'm just quoting MOH, who alas remains very anti.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:36 am Pelmut,
I'm just quoting MOH, who alas remains very anti.

Tom
This may point to a detail that hasn't been the subject of much discussion here: do some women who are 'anti' take skirt-wearing to be some sort of fetish?  Perhaps they feel it is an indicator that they aren't fulfilling all their husband's sexual desires.

[I'm not fishing for individual personal information, just putting it forward as a general topic for discussion.]
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Kirbstone wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:56 pm
After that, it's the towel round he waist leaving the shower/bath/sauna. Everything else will be perceived as female/fetish. Truth.

Tom
A member suggested that men will first learn to wear open ended garments in the home. Seems plausible. For example, a sort of wrap skirt that you would throw on after stepping out of the shower. Robes. Caftans. Night shirts. Eventually, some sort of house dress.

Perhaps this would be a lesser challenge compared to wearing a skirted rig in public. Don't need to deal with a dress code at work. Perhaps some wives would be a bit more tolerant, based on comments by a few members.

Such an option would offer a bit of privacy, so a man need not be quite as bold as the vanguard.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

That being said, I don't find this idea to be particularly interesting.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:16 am Let’s stop worry about appearing masculine, and instead worry about appearing cute and pretty. If we are cute and pretty in our clothing than we have achieved success.
As an older male, I think my best bet would be to go for style.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:23 pm
jamie001 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:16 am Let’s stop worry about appearing masculine, and instead worry about appearing cute and pretty. If we are cute and pretty in our clothing than we have achieved success.
As an older male, I think my best bet would be to go for style.
Cute and pretty is no measure of success anyway, even for women.
True beauty comes from every direction and all shapes and sizes.
I guess there is Barbie, but she's made of plastic so kind of difficult for a human to emulate.
For myself, I did the cross-dressing bit in the past, I never achieved it then 40 plus years later that window has long closed.
I wear what I wear and if you don't appreciate it, I really don't care.
Steve.
bikesaurus

Post by bikesaurus »

I certainly am not caring to look cute and pretty. I'm a nearly middle aged overweight man. I left cute and pretty behind a long time ago.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

algie wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:13 am Hello all I’m algie, a long time lurker, first time poster
This is my first try at a somewhat masculine skirt outfit
An androgynous sweater, plain denim skirt with tights and legwarmers and flat riding style boots
Please excuse the headless look for now

Thanks

Algie
Hi Algie, difficult one to comment on for me. Although all of the clothes could be considered masculine somehow the overall impression is feminine.
Who is to say what is feminine and what is masculine? For me there is no line to be drawn between masculine and feminine we are all just people after all.
The jumper is a feminine cut but then a longer jumper makes the wearers legs look shorter. Short jumpers look best with skirts. The skirt is fine but it is paired with leggings and knee boots. Both typical for Women's everyday outfits.
Overall the look is a stylish one.