Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:13 am
Barleymower wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:11 pm Hypocrisy and contempt.
Not you BM, Society!
There is no doubt that women were mistreated in the past, men too.
It still occurs, of that there is no doubt and injustice is happening at many levels yet many still declare how fair and equal life is today.
Awareness has altered very dramatically but experience, that is a different matter entirely.
Steve.
My wife is reading "butler to the world" for her book club. There is a very apt quote in the book.

"To the privileged, equality feels like oppression."

We, MIS, are not the privileged.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

Just back from an overnighter with my wife in a spa hotel just outside Dublin. The hotel was packed to the rafters mostly with groups of young, single women there for the spa treatments.

I was absolutely amazed by the fact I would estimate 90% of the women down for dinner were dressed either in dresses or skirts - no exaggeration. One table near us numbered 12 women and not one of them wore trousers.

Hemlines throughout the night varied from micro-mini to maxi - it was an absolute skirt-fest. And a real pleasure to witness. Hopefully a trend and long may it continue.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:17 am Just back from an overnighter with my wife in a spa hotel just outside Dublin. The hotel was packed to the rafters mostly with groups of young, single women there for the spa treatments.

I was absolutely amazed by the fact I would estimate 90% of the women down for dinner were dressed either in dresses or skirts - no exaggeration. One table near us numbered 12 women and not one of them wore trousers.

Hemlines throughout the night varied from micro-mini to maxi - it was an absolute skirt-fest. And a real pleasure to witness. Hopefully a trend and long may it continue.
Were you also skirted?
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I suspect with the press coverage and the mis fashion designer clothing. Even with the outlandish outfits for men.
I suspect some women will start wearing skirts just to try to fight for the female association.
Seeing this as a attack on women's skirts

I think it is easier to be a mis now when such a minority of women wear skirts.
When women in trousers seems so common place.
We have the defense to say your not wearing them anyway.

Go back to a time period when 95 percent of women wore skirts and a man would clearly been seen as a intruder into the woman's realm.

So I sort of think there will be a woman's push back drive to reclaim the skirt from men. If they see the skirt threatened.

I just hope men don't give in
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:31 pm
We don’t need a defence, as we do nothing wrong. What we do need is the self confidence to wear what we want without feeling the need to explain ourselves.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Midas wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:03 pmWe don’t need a defence, as we do nothing wrong. What we do need is the self confidence to wear what we want without feeling the need to explain ourselves.
Completely correct on both counts. I'd also suggest adding into the mix a careful selection of who we might select as partners (if it's not already too late) and being point blank about, "Will you be happy to appear in public with me with us functioning as a team?" -- and taking careful note of not only the answer, but also to the tone it is delivered with.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Midas wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:03 pm
mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:31 pm
We don’t need a defence, as we do nothing wrong. What we do need is the self confidence to wear what we want without feeling the need to explain ourselves.
My SO stopped wearing skirts altogether. When I started wearing skirts I said "would you like a new skirt?" She said OK and she chose one for herself. On another day I said "I bought you this" and she like it. Slowly since she has been building her own collection. Yesterday she said she feels more herself than she has done for years. I said has my buying you skirts helped? She said no but she would say that😀. She said she has started to feel good in her skirt / tight combos.
It is true that women have a habit of following mens fashions and taking from the mens wardrobe. Since the mens wardrobe has become so bland it follows that women's wardrobe is also becoming bland. That would explain all the bland sensible tops and leggings. Women's fashions are stagnating as much as mens. Is that why the fashion houses are kick starting mens fashions by bringing back men in skirts?
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

ScotL wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:25 am
Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:17 am
Were you also skirted?
Hi ScotL

No. My skirt wearing is strictly at home only.

While my wife is happy for me to wear skirts at home (and indeed very often will encourage me to “slip into something more comfortable” when we are relaxing in the evening), she categorically does not want me to wear them in public.

I am happy to go along with that as I am not sure I’d be comfortable meeting someone I knew whilst skirted.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 pm I am happy to go along with that as I am not sure I’d be comfortable meeting someone I knew whilst skirted.
There is the whole problem in a single sentence FISDU.
Until men wearing skirts and their significant others alongside are comfortable in the world at large, we will have achieved little or nothing.
Until then, will it really matter what fashions and trends women themselves adopt?
Oddly, had my wife adopted a similar attitude to yours in the distant past I may have gone along with it too.
Alas, that boat is way over the horizon now.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 pm
ScotL wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:25 am
Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:17 am
Were you also skirted?
Hi ScotL

While my wife is happy for me to wear skirts at home (and indeed very often will encourage me to “slip into something more comfortable” when we are relaxing in the evening), she categorically does not want me to wear them in public.

I am happy to go along with that as I am not sure I’d be comfortable meeting someone I knew whilst skirted.
This is not meant as a criticism, please don't take it as one. Are we not men? We are the beastly, aggressive monsters oppressing other men and women alike. Why are we then ruled by a single word?: No.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

STEVIE wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:45 am
Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 pm I am happy to go along with that as I am not sure I’d be comfortable meeting someone I knew whilst skirted.
There is the whole problem in a single sentence FISDU.
Until men wearing skirts and their significant others alongside are comfortable in the world at large, we will have achieved little or nothing.
Until then, will it really matter what fashions and trends women themselves adopt?
Oddly, had my wife adopted a similar attitude to yours in the distant past I may have gone along with it too.
Alas, that boat is way over the horizon now.
Steve.
Hi Steve

I suppose it depends on the reasons why we do what we do.

I know from your posts that you are on a mission - if that’s not too strong a word - to make it fully acceptable for men to be able to wear what they want from either side of the aisle where and when they want so long as it’s ‘decent’. And I agree fully that should be the case.

However I (and I would suspect a reasonable number of signed-up members of this forum) am happy to simply indulge a desire to wear a skirt in private. A case of ‘each to their own’ I suppose.

The reason I commented on the prevalence of women wearing skirts and dresses on our night out was purely because of the question posed in the subject of this ongoing thread.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:06 pm The reason I commented on the prevalence of women wearing skirts and dresses on our night out was purely because of the question posed in the subject of this ongoing thread.
Now that is a very good point and back on track too.
Here's a thought and it relates to the recent trend toward dressing "down" in daily life.
What you witnessed was choice in action.
Those females probably go "drab" in their day to day wear and thought a little dressing "up" was in order.
Taking that more broadly, the proportion of women in skirts or dresses will vary according to the day of the week.
Say an average city centre on a Wednesday and the same on a Saturday, especially evenings.
You are also correct in your "each their own" comment and I really endorse that 100% regardless of what "their own" actually entails.
As for "mission", I'd just like men to feel free and able to choose in exactly the same way, no let no hindrance.
Steve.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

STEVIE wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:22 am
Here's a thought and it relates to the recent trend toward dressing "down" in daily life.
What you witnessed was choice in action.
Those females probably go "drab" in their day to day wear and thought a little dressing "up" was in order.
Taking that more broadly, the proportion of women in skirts or dresses will vary according to the day of the week
You’re bang on the money Steve as I didn’t see too many skirts or dresses at breakfast the following morning. So it was a case of back to normal I would imagine!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:13 am So it was a case of back to normal
My case rests M'lud, however, as to the question of MIS V. Society continuance shall be in order.
Ha Ha, a work in progress, my learned friends.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 pm
Hi ScotL

You have the support of your wife and can wear skirts. That’s wonderful. You’re a lucky man.

I’ve met good friends at my house wearing a kilt. It’s nerve wracking at first and then becomes easier after it’s been discussed. Then it’s just clothing. Though it does keep coming up at times because it’s not the normal male attire.

One day, your wife may allow you to wear outside. But I wouldn’t push it. Let her come to it at her speed. Happy wife, happy life. Push her too hard and you’ll have marital hell