let's list why we like skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: let's list why we like skirts

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:24 pm I just wanted to say that I've never seen a post penned by Jamie that I found offensive.
For the record I don't find Jamie's posts offensive - but I do get tired of being told "the only way to be is to be _________". Like - let's all just let each other be, try not to make demands of each other, and discuss things cordially. I've got family on one hand who appear to be ashamed/embarrassed by the slightest feminine interest I take, and the flip side is also just as tiresome. I think we can discuss fashion without getting into the nitty gritty details of how to live one's life. I'm trying to pull back myself from past proclamations (if there are any) that I may have made. I find these discussions fascinating at times, enlightening at others - it's not like I'm asking them to stop - just maybe be a little less absolutist. Sometimes I wish Skirt Cafe was pure fashion - but that would deny the sociological aspect of wearing a skirt as a man in today's world.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I think there are misunderstandings, in which some members have the impression that other members are trying to push something on them.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Grok wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:37 am I think there are misunderstandings, in which some members have the impression that other members are trying to push something on them.
It seems that differences on any subject are being dealt with that way just about everywhere in the world. Everyone is on edge and defensive.
Last edited by Modoc on Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

How about we grow up a bit and focus on forum topics not whether A equals Z?

Nobody can determine who you are other than you. How you identify yourself or what you align with isn't for anyone else to speak on. Honestly speaking. Doesn't matter how you were born at birth. You are who you are and you know what? Embrace the individual you are no matter whether you're more masculine than feminine or whatever.

Just my 02 worth. :hide: :hide:
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:25 pm
jamie001 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:02 pmBiological sex is physical and you are either of the male or female biological sex.
Correct -- to a point. There are instances where genetic "errors" occur in replication with can lead to inter-sex conditions and even chimera. They are, however, quite rare and usually resolve by the death of the embryo in utero because the errors were too great to allow survival. The ones that survive become research fodder -- and a source of much conversation.
Gender is a continuum and you can be anywhere on that continuum. For example, my biological sex is male, and on the gender continuum my brain is very much on the female side.
Again, mostly correct, but you seem to be discounting sociology and recent (the last 50 years) changes to the notion. A half-century ago, the latitude of expression "allowed" for men was vastly larger than it is now. Men have been being systematically shoved into the crematory-sized box for "ashes" of machismo for the past 50 years, and it's starting to bear the predictable fruit -- and it's not pretty.

"Masculinity" and "femininity" are broadly a collection of traits that occur in all human beings. None are unique to one or the other. It's the distribution of said traits that tends to be the determinate. What happens when one "gender" is denied access to many of those traits by sociological pressure and the other is unconditionally granted unfettered access to all? I'll tell you what -- it's utter chaos. And it's where we are today.
Why can't society get this right?!
See my comment on sociological pressure. Society is screwed up at the moment.

Hell, by current standards I'm more "feminine" than several of the women I've dated -- and that is one uncomfortable space to be in. 50 years ago it'd have been completely different, and I've not really changed all that much.

Here's a concept: How about treating fellow human beings as human beings and not applying modern sociological standards to judge them by? How about treating them with dignity and respect?
CR,
Thank you for this excellent response that correctly sums up a lot of issues faced by today's males.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Elisabetta wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:01 am How about we grow up a bit and focus on forum topics not whether A equals Z?

Nobody can determine who you are other than you. How you identify yourself or what you align with isn't for anyone else to speak on. Honestly speaking. Doesn't matter how you were born at birth. You are who you are and you know what? Embrace the individual you are no matter whether you're more masculine than feminine or whatever.

Just my 02 worth. :hide: :hide:
This advice is worth a lot more than $.02!
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I don’t think this discussion has been offensive, but it has been boring and tedious.

How does a thread titled ‘let’s list why we like skirts’ get hijacked in this way. The subject is just a bit of fun and should have been treated as such.

My contribution to the topic is simple - what’s not to like?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, masculine, feminine, sex and gender have been thrashed out on other threads. It would be good to migrate any further discussion to one of those; easily done with a link (insert URL) to the post you are responding to.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
steamman

Post by steamman »

A skirt is a piece of fabric, an inanimate object that knows no gender. Any associations of gender are nothing more than a social construct which are now slowly being dismantled. Quite simply, I ignore such constructs, since as a citizen of this world I have the right to wear whatever I want. It’s as simple as that and I wear skirts because they are awesome, they look good, they are comfortable and they make me feel good, especially when paired with heels (another social construct). So can we please just agree that everyone has the right to wear what they want?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

steamman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:42 pm A skirt is a piece of fabric, an inanimate object that knows no gender. Any associations of gender are nothing more than a social construct which are now slowly being dismantled. ******* So can we please just agree that everyone has the right to wear what they want?
I have pretty much tried to stay out of this debate, but I must agree with Steamman on this Quote.
What we wear is no ones business and where and how we wear it is no ones business either. So lets just enjoy the skirts and dresses we wear and not worry about what others do or say about it.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:23 pm
steamman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:42 pm A skirt is a piece of fabric, an inanimate object that knows no gender. Any associations of gender are nothing more than a social construct which are now slowly being dismantled. ******* So can we please just agree that everyone has the right to wear what they want?
I have pretty much tried to stay out of this debate, but I must agree with Steamman on this Quote.
What we wear is no ones business and where and how we wear it is no ones business either. So lets just enjoy the skirts and dresses we wear and not worry about what others do or say about it.
That was my point above. Too many worried about how someone identifys and such and people are missing the point of just enjoying wearing skirts. I barely comment on skirtcafe.org if you haven't noticed because almost every thread gets derailed talking about nonsense and such. It's never about the title that's at the top It's always about something else. Then when you chime in someone overlooks your posts or private messages and continues on engaging in the nonsense. So you get ignored and eventually threads get locked or warnings giving so I stay clear.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Here's another one, skirt are more fun to dance in, the swish and swing is delightful.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Elisabetta wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 am
Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:23 pm What we wear is no ones business and where and how we wear it is no ones business either. So lets just enjoy the skirts and dresses we wear and not worry about what others do or say about it.
That was my point above. Too many worried about how someone identifys and such and people are missing the point of just enjoying wearing skirts. I barely comment on skirtcafe.org if you haven't noticed because almost every thread gets derailed talking about nonsense and such. It's never about the title that's at the top It's always about something else. Then when you chime in someone overlooks your posts or private messages and continues on engaging in the nonsense. So you get ignored and eventually threads get locked or warnings giving so I stay clear.
I try to evade these types of things myself, only responding when I feel there's something not accurate or I think would hinder this movement. I made an elaborate post on Page 7 of this thread, with the final two paragraphs explaining why this website is dedicated to male-skirt advocacy, only for the topic to get derailed again:
We, as in, a collective, like skirts because it gives us, men, a whole new paradigm when it comes to fashion. It allows us to further express ourselves in a way which satisfies us. It gives us more options. It allows us to rethink gendered clothing and how we're better off disregarding the idea as the outdated, limiting trash that it is.

We DON'T need a goddamn reason to wear whatever the hell we want. If we want equality between men and women to happen, society HAS to allow this to prosper and grow. There's no justification to be against this change. It hurts no one and helps people be more comfortable with their own bodies — their own self-image. Those who are, should be opposed, because they want to control other people. They might claim to want "traditional gender roles", but we've seen the harm they can do, especially when they're imposed upon those who don't want to conform to them. And let's be real, most people aren't even consistent when it comes to this rigid horse manure; it's why there's such glaring double standards between men and women to begin with.
I know this post wasn't entirely ignored, but it's a shame it didn't drive the topic much, because I put a lot of effort into it. It might as well be the mantra, here.

Let's try this again: We like skirts because they do a better job showing off legs than bifurcated wear. Someone else most likely have already gave this reason, so anyone else wanna add something new?
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Because it is not possible to twirl your trousers
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

You can't put on a pair of trousers by pulling them over your head.
A skirt WILL allow you slip it on over your head :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)