London

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
shawnk

London

Post by shawnk »

I will be in London in December, January, and February. I would like to wear a kilt while sightseeing if I have some time, and this will be my first time out in public with one. Will the weather be a factor? Are attitudes there generally favorable towards this?
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Re: London

Post by GerdG »

I can't say anything about the weather in these months. But it shall hardly rain every day. About five years ago I was in London and spent some days wearing kilts. Like everywhere else in the civilized world (I know of) it is no problem, at all.
I do have some experience. I have been wearing kilts in most European countries (I'm a Dane), as well as in New York and in Tokyo. The absolutely only problem you might face, would be you yourself.

Therefore, just wear that kilt with confidence.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

shawnk wrote:I will be in London in December, January, and February. I would like to wear a kilt while sightseeing if I have some time, and this will be my first time out in public with one. Will the weather be a factor? Are attitudes there generally favorable towards this?
I wore a kilt in London last year and it caused no problems at all, despite a football match between England and Scotland taking place nearby.

In England, the Winter months are generally colder and wetter than the Summer months, but almost any kind of weather can occur at almost any time of year (this emphasises the difference between 'climate' and 'weather'). You could have a few days of brilliant sunshine, or miserable wind and rain; the temperatures could be above +10C or below -10C ...or change from one to the other in a couple of days. You will soon discover why the English have the reputation for always talking about the weather; you will need to keep checking the weather forecast (or get into conversation with a cabbie).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I go along with what pelmut said, it could be just wet and miserable most of the time but I think January seems the coldest month here. Be ready for anything.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I would echo what pelmut said and add that we can often have several weathers all in the same day - sun, wind, rain, cloud and even sleet/snow. London tends to be a few degrees warmer than the countryside and being winter the temperatures will be in the single figures centigrade but it has been know to get into double figures occasionally. January and February will probably be colder than December. So good luck with the weather.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Having worn kilts most of my life, I fail to see the connexion with cross dressing. Do the people on that forum really think they are cross dressing when they don a kilt?
I certainly do not.
Come to think of it, I don,t feel that I am dressing as a woman when I wear any other skirt.
Martin
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Perhaps they refer to Charing Cross dressers........ :lol:
I have been to London many times, mainly to visit the cosy markets like Camden High and Covent Garden.
Some 30 years ago I wore a jeans skirt for the first time all three days long and got no remarks or so. I guess Londoners are used to tourists from over the world.
In Carnaby street I saw a Japanese guy wearing a long skirt.
There was a lady shopkeeper of Oxford street who was very enthousiastic to see a man wearing a skirt. Finally, she added.

Jan.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Couya wrote:Having worn kilts most of my life, I fail to see the connexion with cross dressing. Do the people on that forum really think they are cross dressing when they don a kilt?
From reading that group, it appears that most do, hence the reason it is called cross dressing. For some cross-dressers, wearing clothes which they perceive as 'feminine' is the end in itself; for others, it is just a means to a different end, such as reducing the pressure of gender dysphoria by feeling comfortable with themselves.
...Come to think of it, I don,t feel that I am dressing as a woman when I wear any other skirt.
Just because a cross-dresser wears a kilt or skirt, it does not follow that the reverse is true and every male skirt-wearer is a cross-dresser (because not every male sees a skirt as feminine clothing).
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:Having worn kilts most of my life, I fail to see the connexion with cross dressing. Do the people on that forum really think they are cross dressing when they don a kilt?...
It's just semantics -- what the terms mean to you and where you draw the dividing lines.

Personally, I wear skirts and kilts for style, comfort, curiosity, and a bit of rebelliousness. And to me, that's different from someone who wants to impersonate a woman. But there are many scales and outlooks, both in the doing and in the observing, and I try not to get hung up on labels.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Couya wrote:Having worn kilts most of my life, I fail to see the connexion with cross dressing. Do the people on that forum really think they are cross dressing when they don a kilt?
I certainly do not.
Come to think of it, I don,t feel that I am dressing as a woman when I wear any other skirt.
Martin
I'm with you, Martin on this. A skirt per se makes no woman, not even a female looking man. It is all the other stuff. However, looking at the avatars on that site, the members do seem to do their best, heading for a female approach. Is part of the game, I guess.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

GerdG wrote:...A skirt per se makes no woman, not even a female looking man. It is all the other stuff. However, looking at the avatars on that site, the members do seem to do their best, heading for a female approach. Is part of the game, I guess.
Once you decide to wear a skirt, the only available style conventions are women's. But we all draw the line somewhere.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have wandered through London (and Heathrow airport) in an ankle length denim cargo skirt as well as in a traditional kilt. No problems, more questions about the tartan in the kilt than about the skirt. It isn't a problem at all. Weather will be cool and maybe damp, but London seems to be one of the warmest and driest parts of Britain.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I live around 30 miles from the centre of London and have worn a wide variety of kilts and skirts in town on many occasions. I have never had a problem with the weather or the people. Just remember that tube trains generate quite a breeze as they approach, so a kilt or wide skirt can become a little unruly at times.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Shawnk,
There are so many Scots Londoners, that a Kilt will attract no attention at all.
However, you may be asked to pose for photos from snap happy tourists.
Relax and enjoy your stay!
Steve.