Where will we be in say... ten years?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where will we be in say... ten years?

Post by Grok »

I have given up on serious speculation regarding women's fashions. I'm doing this for fun.

Quoting Coder-Feb. 28 '22 post to the thread Almost No Skirt Options:

"...Miniskirt of sorts over leggings...I'm sure part of it is modesty-I'm of the firm opinion that leggings!=pants and I've heard the same from women."

Quoting river gauche-Feb. 12 '23 post to Dresses:

"You just have to look at the design of dresses women tend to wear in less formal situations-a simple pullover or button through style, often also loose...."

So...what if women not only equate leggings to pants/trousers, but come to view short- or mini- dresses as tops? Tops in the same sense that shirts and blouses are tops?

So we get the Great Dress Revival of the 2030s :!:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:55 amSo we get the Great Dress Revival of the 2030s :!:
That's if the 2030s actually arrive and any of us are alive to see them.

If the 2030s actually arrive, I rather suspect that they will look like the sets from Blade Runner.

I am hoping to be gone by then.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Original date of this thread... Aug 2015

In a about two and a half years, we'll have our answer!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:29 am Original date of this thread... Aug 2015

Cool beans! Gives me something to look forward to! :lol:
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

On the assumption that Carl is wrong and frankly I would not be so sure that he is, probably not much further forward.
Certain other look back review threads and current events don't give me cause for optimism.
I'd go with Grok, have fun with it now and do as I please to please myself and be pleased if anyone else is of similar mind.
Pretty much anyone who is not pleased can go whistle.
Steve.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

We should all have aspirations and look ahead. But none of us are sure we'll be here tomorrow so make the most of now. Enjoy being yourself.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:29 am Original date of this thread... Aug 2015

Looking at that trajectory ............. not much different.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:05 am I am hoping to be gone by then.
Please don't say that.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:13 am
I'd go with Grok, have fun with it now and do as I please to please myself and be pleased if anyone else is of similar mind.

Steve.
Yes, Stevie, you have identified my position. I dress to please myself, and only myself. I have an inclination towards experimentation in dress (though I lack a flair for clothing).

So much of life is mundane. But that does mean that mens clothing must be boring-why not have a little fun with it?

As for encouraging others?

I used to keep a Utilikilt card in my wallet. A man once asked me where he could get one, so I gave him the card. That was an example of directly supporting a man who showed interest. Indirectly? It is conceivable that I have influenced someone when I have been out and about wearing one pipe.

Don't have a card now, I haven't worn a utility kilt in years.

Have directly supported businesses with my purchases.

And that is about all I can do for others. In the mean time, I am going to please myself.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:30 pm
crfriend wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:05 amI am hoping to be gone by then.
Please don't say that.
Why? Once we are born, each and every one of us will die. So far, there is no way to escape that destiny, and I am quite fine with that,.

Part of the issue is that I completely, absolutely, and indelibly detest what our modern culture has become. Long gone is the hope for a more vibrant and verdant world ahead of us, and all that is off the bow is nothing but despair, bankruptcy, and poverty for us. More damned wars over idiotic matters, more damned hardships for the common man, and nothing positive even remotely visible on the horizon.

Why should I soldier on in that sort of world when it contrasts so badly to the one I grew up in? Will my modern presence even be noted, other than the fact that once in a while I am more than happy to raise high the middle finger and speak truth to power -- and power absolutely hates that. I am a dinosaur, and have no place in the modern world. What's the Hell is the point?

Now, before anybody draws the wrong conclusion, I am not about to "check out early" [1]. However, if something happens and takes me out I'm OK with that.

[1] Back in 2013, I was driven deeply suicidal by crimes committed against me. I did my best to hide that from my late ex- (although I highly suspect she was aware of the fact). In a revealing conversation with a (sadly passed) friend who was a clinical counsellor, I mentioned that quite possibly the only reason I survived was that I had trivial access to firearms and ammunition. The guy was astonished, but the explanation of why spoke volumes -- it relieved me of the worry about method and allowed me to focus on the larger picture. It took several minutes for him to actually process that, but in the end a comment came back to the effect of, "I can see that." Such is the way my mind works.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Is MIS a pipe dream? I have noticed one example of this not being so. A few decades ago, in the Seattle area, you hardly ever saw a man wearing one pipe. But utility kilts did gain traction, you occasionally see a man in one.

On the other hand, that is all I have seen gain traction.

The experience of women going the other way seems relevant to MIS in one respect-time scale. First experimentation about 1850; but when I was a small boy in the early 1960 females were still mostly wearing skirts/dresses.

I speak of major change requiring a century or more, and events (or non-events) have so far conformed to my prediction.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Carl, I was definitely already drawing that conclusion. You are a driving force here, and someone I truly appreciate, for your experience, wisdom, and perspective. You are a big influence in keeping this place what it is, and for that alone, I am grateful. I know you are no spring chicken, but I hope you have a good bit of time left with us here.

I also suspect this whole site, which serves as a support group for many here, improving many lives, would not exist without you. I have no idea how this place is funded, but I have my suspicions. I also know you keep this place going on the technical side. Thank you!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:23 am In a revealing conversation with a (sadly passed) friend who was a clinical counsellor, I mentioned that quite possibly the only reason I survived was that I had trivial access to firearms and ammunition. The guy was astonished, but the explanation of why spoke volumes -- it relieved me of the worry about method and allowed me to focus on the larger picture.
A fascinating take. You get the same kinds of discussions around euthanasia in NL. Many more people apply (and are approved) for euthanasia than actually go through with it. Research indicates that, like you, the option of it being available makes it easier to go on.

I've never attributed the same possibility to firearms before.

Thanks for keeping this site alive.
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

Ten years from now I will really be old. Will men still be wearing skirts. Definitely yes. those that try it will never likely totally abandon it. The comfortable feeling of freedom for a man wearing a skirt is to good. Will it ever become fashionable. Unlikely. People are not willing to stand out. They generally are happier being part of the crowd.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where will we be in say... the far future?

Post by Grok »

Regarding the costumes of the Halo science fiction franchise....

Rented (from what is likely the last video store in Seattle) the DVD for Halo: Season 1 (2022). Set in the far future, and featuring highly advanced technology. Yet the costumes seem to based on the clothing of our present. Having watched the first few episodes:

1. Haven't seen any male wearing any sort of skirted rig.

2. Females are typically in trousers, but a few do wear skirted rigs. One wears a short dress like garment over a form of thick leggings. One woman wears a long, scarlet dress with slits in the skirt.

The last is notable because it is the only costume I have seen thus far which features bright color. That's right, the costume designers have continued into the far future the dreary drabness of our present.