fairly full denim skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

fairly full denim skirt

Post by Sarongman »

While trawling through eBay, I came across this skirt that is from Dungarees online. I am very tempted but, cash flow having become a drought stricken dribble, may have to hold off for a while. What do others here think of it?
Dungarees O.L. skirt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: fairly full denim skirt

Post by crfriend »

That's certainly not something I would go after, but that's just my own personal aesthetic showing through. In all fairness, I can see how it would work for some. It's just not my cup of tea.

Personally, I'll probably be ordering one of these in the next week or two so I can evade charges of raiding Sapphire's wardrobe. It'll be a good match for my red waistcoat.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

I have a similar one from the same company, the skirt is well made and fits, maybe a touch longer. ..
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

crfriend wrote:Personally, I'll probably be ordering one of these in the next week or two so I can evade charges of raiding Sapphire's wardrobe. It'll be a good match for my red waistcoat.
What color are you thinking of Carl? I love those jewel colors.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirted_in_SF wrote:What color are you thinking of Carl? I love those jewel colors.
I'm thinking of the "ruby" one. There's also a plaid version of my long cotton "walking skirt" that I'm contemplating as well as another waistcoat.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I wouldn't buy it as is but if it was knee length or just a bit shorter then I'd be tempted. Of course I could shorten it and there would probably be enough material for another plain skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
DenIM

Post by DenIM »

I'd definitely wear it because I want to try a longer skirt. I think I'd wear it with my cherry red, ankle high Doc Martin boots. The difficulty for me is co-ordinating the rest of the outfit!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Good apart from the pockets, I say. They look too small, like back pockets sewn on in the wrong place, and generally more bother than they are worth. If they did one with normal pockets, it would do me nicely!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
andrew72
Distinguished Member

Post by andrew72 »

I like it, not sure about the pockets but I could live with that. I had a look at the sizing table and it is about 100 cm (40 inches) long.
andrew72
Distinguished Member

Post by andrew72 »

crfriend wrote:
skirted_in_SF wrote:What color are you thinking of Carl? I love those jewel colors.
I'm thinking of the "ruby" one. There's also a plaid version of my long cotton "walking skirt" that I'm contemplating as well as another waistcoat.
Can I ask where you bought your long cotton "walking skirt" from please.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

andrew72 wrote:Can I ask where you bought your long cotton "walking skirt" from please.
Of course!

I got it from Historical Emporium who are also the suppliers of a few of my waistcoats. They've got good quality products and provide very good customer service -- something which is in darned short supply these days! I don't hesitate to recommend them.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

skirtyscot wrote:Good apart from the pockets, I say. They look too small,
That is my initial judgement, however it may not be too difficult a job for someone who does clothing alterations to put side seam pockets of decent capacity in to the skirt. This could free up those front pockets for penknife, bush style fob watch or whatever may be better off away from wallet, purse and hanky.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sarongman wrote:[...]bush style fob watch [...]
OK, I've just got to ask the question: What is a "bush style fob watch"?

I'm a major fan of pocket-watches (and have been since I was a wee lad), and have four generations' worth of them (mine, my dad's, my grand-father's, and my grandmother's father's), most of which get actual real-world use, but a "bush-style fob watch" makes my brain go a bit blank. I don't think you're talking about US presidents here (for gods' sake I hope not!) but Australian bush doesn't seem to be quite right either.

Yes, I'm confused. I admit it. So there.

Imagery, please.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Pardon highjacking the thread:

I too was interested in the "bush style fob watch" although I work on the big grand daddy floor clocks - time is always interesting and fleeting !

So here is my result - LINK:

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... att-portal

Interesting with photos.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:Pardon highjacking the thread:
That happens from time to time, and I'm about to take it further off-course. ;)
I too was interested in the "bush style fob watch" although I work on the big grand daddy floor clocks - time is always interesting and fleeting !
Floor-standing "grandfather-clocks" have always been a favourite of mine. I grew up with one in the front hall of the sprawling pre-Victorian house I grew up in (which never worked until I took it upon myself to work on it), but lack one now. However, as I have a close friend who is Observatory Curator at Brown University's Ladd Observatory I have access to more precision timepieces than I can shake a stick at. (The photo of one of the chronometers was actually taken in the living-room of my humble abode where we also did some acoustic research on its operation. Internally, it's rather amazing how violent they actually are in an acoustic sense; I'd expected something much gentler.)

Now, pocket-watches:
So here is my result - LINK:

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... att-portal

Interesting with photos.
Interesting, indeed, including one of a modern wrist-watch. So, these guys are what Yanks know as "pocket-watches" and be done with, save that sometimes "fob watches" might be worn (at least by gals) as pendants. Good stuff! Thanks!

It's worth noting that I have always been a bit of a "time geek". Even back when I was in late primary school I made sure my watch was synchronized to the NBS (National Bureau of Standards as it was then known by) via short-wave radio. Nowadays, I use a GPS receiver to tell all my computers what the time is. The standing joke about that is that I always know where I am -- I need to know when I am. (The long-term average on my primary Stratum-1 NTP server is within several nanoseconds of UTC at any point in time, which is good enough for me.)