the first male skirt to meet success?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
alsachti

the first male skirt to meet success?

Post by alsachti »

On your opinion, what kind of male skirt will be the first to meet success with the general public?
A kilt? A long skirt? Or will the skirt be gradually accepted through harem pants, or skorts, or divided skirts ?
:?:
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: the first male skirt to meet success?

Post by Big and Bashful »

I think, apart from kilts, the first skirt to be accepted will probably be above the knee denim, apparently they are almost invisible to most people who don't actually look to see what you are wearing. I would like to see longer skirts accepted but with the sheer amount of cloth 'belling' out from the waist, they do tend to make it fairly hard to miss.
I had intended to spend a skirted week camping around Scotland, but ended up buying a yacht and going daysailing instead (skirted of course). I will have to wait until next year now before testing the tent and testing my courage.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'll agree with Big and Bashful on this one. From all the anecdotal evidence I've heard, most folks just don't give a fig if the garment is made from denim. Note that I do not have any direct experience with this as I personally detest the stuff.

Long skirts can work very well on guys, but they do draw attention in the way that a simple denim skirt never would -- but the look can be surprisingly compelling and, once one learns the basic "management techniques", are remarkably comfortable.

I don't think "harem pants" ("M.C. Hammer pants") are likely to push acceptance, but some of the newer very wide-legged shorts, sometimes in a satin-like fabric, might as the jump to true "skirt" is simply eliminating the inseam. Those are, to all intents and purposes, divided (or split) skirts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I think it will be skirts that are the same length and material as shorts. Most people don't seem to notice my denim skirts that are about 5 cm [2 inches] above the knees.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

alsachti wrote:On your opinion, what kind of male skirt will be the first to meet success with the general public?

:?:
What exactly does "meet success" mean? Are we talking about which garment-as worn by others-will be tolerated? Or are we talking about which garment will be tried on by men in general?
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

There is one skirt that appears successful: it is Mountain Hardware's hiking skirt/kilt. Plain material, simple design, pockets, designed for the comfort of the energetic in the open air.
If a few hiking clubs could adopt it as their usual attire, it could really take off, as it serves a definite purpose.
Men need an excuse to wear anything out of the ordinary (and secretly, a lot of men are longing for an excuse). A pretext is also provided by another activity, Scottish country dancing -- all the men that join in, of whatever origin, get themselves a kilt sooner or later.
If hiking kilts are seen here and there on country walks, they could soon become a "must".
Martin
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Big and Bashful
I think, apart from kilts, the first skirt to be accepted will probably be above the knee denim, apparently they are almost invisible to most people who don't actually look to see what you are wearing
That has been absolutely my experience. All people see is denim below the waist and, in the vast majority of cases, the fact that it is a skirt simply doesn't see, to register in their minds.

Strange but true!

Stu
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Daamn! It looks like Mountain Hardware's skirt/kilt is no longer available, well not on-line anyway.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

MountainGear, not Hardware. I have one, love it. If they ever make a new color, I would get one of those too.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produ ... 8513/N/822

-john
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

JRMILLER wrote:MountainGear, not Hardware. I have one, love it. If they ever make a new color, I would get one of those too.
If they ever made it in my size, I'd consider buying one.

It only goes up to XL, which, if you believe what's on the website, is 6" too small for me (max. 40" waist.)

I'll have to stick to ones I make. (Which will fit better, anyway, since I include a "beer gut" adjustment.)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

IMO, MountainGear's rendition of a Kilted/Skirted garment for men, may
be the 'ticket' to getting MIS/MIK. It is a great start for a modern garment.

I do agree with other esteemed Cafe' members that the 'sizing' is a bit
narrow-minded. Granted I should (Need) to lose weight. To be in proper
health parameters, your waist measurement should be 1/2 your height.
Example: A 6' tall person (72") should have a waist measuring 36".
For me, I should be over 7' 7" tall (and that ain't gonna happen).

Overall, the Elkommando Kilt is a fine garment, to short for my tastes
and size. I need to wait for a bit lower price-point. Price-point is a factor
in getting the garment into 'main-stream' men's wear.

Again, this is my opinion - your results may vary :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I just wished that this skirt was available in the UK. I don't think they do shipping outside of the US. Although I maybe wrong.

R
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Liam

Post by Liam »

I make my own Kilts, out of modern fabrics. And what I've found is that the 2 camo-style kilts attract little or not attention. I also made a brown denim kilt, and a blue denim kilt. They both get more odd looks than either of the camo kilts - all are the same knee length, with the back side being pleated and the front inner apron having a bunch of pockets in there. :D

However, I also made 2 long kilts with 2 different camo fabrics, 1 isn't pleated (my first attempt), the other is. I've only worn the un-pleated long kilt in walks around the neighborhood with my wife and ended up in a conversation with a neighbor (whom I didn't know). The kilt didn't even come up.

So, my experience is that blue denim doesn't attract a lot of attention, but the camo kilts (desert and forest) got even less attention.

But the best news is, after wearing kilts almost entirely exclusive for the past few months, I haven't had a negative comment yet, and have had several very positive ones. A very good female friend of mine actually asked me to make one for her and her girlfriend. I've known this woman for about 6 years and NEVER seen her wear any kind of skirt, but she wants a kilt. How cool is that?

Liam
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Well Done Liam :!:

You may have just found a second income for yourself :wink:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Liam wrote:How cool is that?
Pretty cool. Also, welcome aboard. My wife and I are learning how to make our own skirts just now, although I confess that, for kilt manufacture, all those pleats intimidate me.