Any peacocks out there?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Any peacocks out there?

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Just curious if anyone here wears brightly colored/printed skirts like the ones from India sold here -

http://www.mapleclothing.com/apparel/su ... skirts.asp

I've had this link for some time, ever since Gmail threw it up one day when I was reading my e-mail.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Any peacocks out there?

Post by Since1982 »

Not like those ones from India, but I do have several skirts that are deep sea or reef oriented, with lots of whales, tropical fishes, porpoises, bottlenosed dolphins, undersea plants and corals of all colors. All with various shades of blue for backgrounds. All mine are either straight or A-line and low knee to ankle length with a walking vent in the rear of all the straight ones. I do like to see something interesting on my skirts beyond the usual plain colors or tye dyed ones. :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
nicothoe
Distinguished Member

Post by nicothoe »

I do love bright colors and patterns, or anything else that makes the skirt more fun to wear. Wearing a colorful skirt is no different than, say, wearing a fun Hawaiian shirt.

Now, the big question is: can you wear both at the same time and still look good? :D Usually, if I decide to wear a Hawaiian shirt, then I prefer to put on a skirt of a plain color; or vice versa. I recently pick up a white skirt that will go with any of my colorful shirts, and I totally love how bright and clean it looks. As spring approaches, I fully intend to be a peacock and display my feathers for all to see.

(PS. I have always loved Indian clothing)
Be Bold. Be Skirted.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

I don't wear Indian print skirts, even though I think they look pretty, because their shape makes me look like a fire hydrant.

I do tend to make skirts out of bright, solid colors -- royal blue, bright red, yellow, green, etc., because the fabric stores stock solid colords.

I would probably have made some skirts with bright, bold patterns, but I haven't found anything I like in the fabric stores. If you want prints, you end up in the quilting department, and they go for teeny-tiny patterns in one color, or else themed prints for children, like football, or The Little Mermaid, or something. There was a shop on 125th Street in NYC that had some African prints, but I was only able to get by their one time when they were open, and I think they went out of business.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

They don't go fat enough for me, I would have to lose a couple of inches to get into the largest there.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I don't do peacock looks, even when trousered I tend to avoid outfits that scream "look at me". Were I to combine bright patterns and skirts when out with my wife I suspect she would kick back. She still worries how other people will perceive me (and by implication her) and tends to accept my skirted looks on the basis that they don't seem to attract much attention. So, even if I fancied "going peacock", it would probably set her acceptance back too far to be worthwhile to me.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
nicothoe
Distinguished Member

Post by nicothoe »

I think for the first time in my life, I actually like being noticed! Not sure how that change came about, but I do feel somewhat liberated. Granted, being a peacock is a personal choice, and like everyone else on this forum, we must find our own style and comfort level.
Be Bold. Be Skirted.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

nicothoe wrote:I think for the first time in my life, I actually like being noticed! Not sure how that change came about, but I do feel somewhat liberated. Granted, being a peacock is a personal choice, and like everyone else on this forum, we must find our own style and comfort level.
I agree, sometimes it may feel good to be a peacock, othertimes not.

Bryan
Travel, transport and photography
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I second nicothoe's sentiment. I used to be the kid who'd wear jeans and a t-shirt 24/7, blending into the background, trying not to be noticed. But, about the time I decided to start skirting, I became a bit of a peacock. Granted, I'm not as much into skirts with prints (although I do wear tartan kilts), but I've decided to wear sometimes wildly colored (and/or patterned) socks with the skirts (and, yes, much to the chagrin of the traditionalists, with my kilts).

In fact, I even picked up a pair of socks that have a peacock feather going up the back of the leg.

link: http://www.sockdreams.com/_shop/pages/s ... D_1834.php

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

BS (before skirts), I wore plain, drab stuff that bored me -- in short, the clothing of the typical western male. I really didn't understand at the time why I found the clothing so distasteful. Then I discovered a print, mid-calf, tropical colored skirt (my very first). From that point forward I have had color in my life.

Imagine a scene with hundreds, if not thousands of typically-clad western males wandering along some busy sidewalk in Ohio. In your mind, make the scene black and white, no color. They are all moving quickly along the sidewalk with dazed and perhaps vacant looks on their face.

Of a sudden, color washes one of the drab figures, a smile ensues. He breaks free of the oppressive throng and skips off happily into the sunset.

That would be me discovering printed skirts...

Yes, I have 4 long colorful India-made skirts and love them. One of them is featured in my New Year's photo here....
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... a&start=15

Life is good now that I have found color....
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")