FYI

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: FYI

Post by Sarongman »

Thanks for the link, nicothoe that was a very interesting article. Here in Australia, we have "unfair dismissals" legislation, in which the aggrieved employee can take the boss/organisation to 'court' and the tribunal could fine said employer at least a year's lost wages as compensation.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Regardless of opinions to the contrary, that LAW that Nicothoe came up with clearly says discrimination of that kind is illegal with GOVERNMENTAL officials.
Due to a divorce trial that my sister's going through, I had to go to a barber shop and have my waist-length hair lopped off. Something I'd been working on for 5 years.
A divorce trial has a Judge in it. Hence "GOVERNMENT AGENCY" is involved, hence discrimination is illegal. Hence hair could not be ordered to be cut by any officials involved. Especially Judges. Any judge that issued a written order to that effect was in violation of all discrimination laws in America, and could, him/herself be arrested. State laws do not overcome Federal laws.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

Since1982 wrote:Regardless of opinions to the contrary, that LAW that Nicothoe came up with clearly says discrimination of that kind is illegal with GOVERNMENTAL officials.
Due to a divorce trial that my sister's going through, I had to go to a barber shop and have my waist-length hair lopped off. Something I'd been working on for 5 years.
A divorce trial has a Judge in it. Hence "GOVERNMENT AGENCY" is involved, hence discrimination is illegal. Hence hair could not be ordered to be cut by any officials involved. Especially Judges. Any judge that issued a written order to that effect was in violation of all discrimination laws in America, and could, him/herself be arrested. State laws do not overcome Federal laws.
The OP didn't specify, but it seems extraordinarily unlikely that the hair cut was due to any kind of official order. I can well see, however, his sister's lawyer telling him to get it cut before the trial to "make a better impression" or some such malarkey. Lawyers, for the most part, tend to be very conservative and want their clients and witnesses to present themselves in court in a similar manner.

Kris
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kris wrote:The OP didn't specify, but it seems extraordinarily unlikely that the hair cut was due to any kind of official order. I can well see, however, his sister's lawyer telling him to get it cut before the trial to "make a better impression" or some such malarkey.
That's the impression I got when I read his note. I suspect he's very much on his sister's "side" in this matter -- and it was very important to him, else he'd have told the lot of 'em to "sod off" when it came to his hair.

Lopping off waist-length hair is tossing an investment of several years' time. At a rough average of 1/2 inch per month growth, and assuming a length of two feet to reach the waistline (or thereabouts) we're talking a minimum of four years from a crew-cut. Whatever it was that made him cut it must have been important indeed, and he deserves our respect (and sympathies) for doing it.

A judge, at least judges in reasonably civilised areas, would not demand a cut; (s)he might demand that it be made and kept neat, and that's OK within the system and what a ponytail, or in extreme cases, a bun, is for. Another interesting facet is that lawyers tend to be spooked by guys with long hair. It can be an indication of the fact that one can -- and likely does -- think for himself, and lawyers really like docile little sheep that they can herd this way and that during trials. I can only imagine what they'd do with a guy who wears skirts! (I'll get a chance to test that hypothesis come May.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

To make things clear, I was not required by the judge to get a haircut. Besides, I was at the Everett, WA Municipal Court for a ticket mitigation hearing about 2 weeks prior to the divorce trial. Had waist-length hair then. Just wore it tied back, and there were no comments about my appearance, even though I was also skirted (didn't have a choice in that matter, otherwise, I would've set off the metal detector, due to a coin being stuck in the lining of the shorts I was wearing that day).

With respect to the trial and the reason for the cut, I didn't need the ex-husband and his lawyer picking on my appearance, saying that I was a bad influence for my niece, who is living with us, along with my sister. I was given either the option of having him possibly bring that up, or get it cut. So, much to my chagrin, I lopped off the horsetail and headed down to a barber shop to get trimmed, so I'd conform to the stereotypical businessman look. Yes, it was somewhat forced, and I'm not happy with the fact that it's gone, but I made the right decision, since my sister's ex is not someone who I'd trust with my niece. Too many mental issues. He makes a used car salesman seem honest.

In any case, my testimony is over with, and it's growing back. I do have the slight benefit that my hair does grow a bit faster than normal (about 3/4" to an inch a month), so I should have hair that can be tied into a decent ponytail by later this summer or early fall. No, it won't be waist-length like what I had, but, it'll be getting long again. It also means that the next stage (the awkward stage) won't take as long as it normally would. Luckily, the barber didn't take a whole lot off the top and sides, so it's actually a little longer on top than the last short cut that I had, back in 2004.

I've also decided that I should cut back on the sweets and soft drinks, as well as start doing exercise again. I'm to the point where only two of my traditional kilts fit me just barely, and the third is too small. So, I need to shrink.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I'm confused. You believe that the long hair would have more of an adverse reaction from a lawyer than wearing a skirt did? Long hair on men has been commonplace since 1970, and uncommon but happening since 1953 with the Beatnik/Beatles from 1962 culture. Men in skirts being not totally unusual has only been about 3 years since Marc Jacobs started wearing one all the time, no? There are more professional lawyers in this country who wear ponytails now than at any time in the past, including the time of George Washington and Ben Franklin. With luck, you might have ran into one at your hearing. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Kilted_John wrote:This time around, I think I'll be leaving it loose more frequently.
:hooray: Now that is looking on the bright side and gives onlookers something nice to see. :D

What a loving brother and uncle you are to do this for them, John. It should not matter one bit to a judge but sometimes it does and the stakes were too high to chance it. You made the right choice.