Seasonal Skirt Wearing!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Milfmog

Re: Seasonal Skirt Wearing!

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:Better in the office than stranded out on the motorway in your car. I suspect Mrs. Milfmog agrees with your decision.
You're not wrong on that score Carl. The biggest problem is that there is no food here and the pizza delivery guy can't get through...

I reckon I'll be able to auction off the spare blankets in my car for a small fortune later :D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:The biggest problem is that there is no food here and the pizza delivery guy can't get through...
And the sixty-four dollar question is: "Did you ever make it home?"

Being trapped in an office where even pizza-delivery is impossible would certainly send me scampering for the nearest pub. Safety is one thing -- abject desperation is a completely different animal! :shock:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:And the sixty-four dollar question is: "Did you ever make it home?"
I had another go at getting home that night at about 21:30 and got out of the trading estate, but hit solid traffic (both ways) before I could even get to the inner ring road. A colleague who had left three hours earlier called to say that she had only just reached the M3, less than two miles from the office. The local radio was taking calls from folks all over the region who had taken six or even eight hours to do short journeys. The crunch came when they started taking calls from people at various points on my journey home who were all stationary on "ice rinks". I turned the other way and made my way back to the office, getting back at 00:30 after driving less than four miles in three hours.

I slept on a couple of chairs pushed together, at least it was warm, dry and I had access to toilets, a coffee machine and a shower in the morning (unfortunately, no fresh shirt). The blankets I had in the car were soaked by the time I got back to the office, as I had been forced to use them for added traction under the wheels a couple of times; so I was unable to auction them off to any of the thirty or so colleagues also sleeping at the office. (Note to self: 310BHP, lots of torque and front wheel drive is not a good combination for performing hill starts on sheet ice.) Fortunately my sleeping bag had not suffered the same fate, so I was snug and warm.

Radio news yesterday morning was reporting 2500 cars abandoned in Basingstoke (the town where I work). Based on the short sections of road I saw, I had no problem believing that number.

I eventually left the office again at about 11:30 yesterday morning and made it home by about 13:00. The journey took about 30 minutes longer than usual but was not too difficult apart from a few carelessly abandoned cars.

Today the roads around me are covered with sheets of black ice, I went out earlier to walk Taz, but the roads were not good and I did not feel able to drive at more than about 15mph. At that speed it will take me around three hours to get to work so I decided to work from home instead.

Have fun,

Ian.

PS: One member of the catering team got in yesterday morning and made sausage sandwiches for all of those of us who'd slept over. I've rarely appreciated food more.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:I had another getting home that night at about 21:30 and got out of the trading estate, but hit solid traffic (both ways) before I could even get to the inner ring road. A colleague who had left three hours earlier called to say that she had only just reached the M3, less than two miles from the office. [...]
Gack! That sounds like a repeat of the misadventure I had just last year when I wound up in a hotel about halfway home following 5 hours of what's supposed to be a 45 minute drive.

At least you had a roof over your head and aside from the incconvenience everybody is fine.
PS: One member of the catering team got in yesterday morning and made sausage sandwiches for all of those of us who'd slept over. I've rarely appreciated food more.
Indeed!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

I've noticed a fair number of women on my train to work who wear knee-length skirts and tights throughout the winter, so now that it's routinely 20-30 F (around -5 C), I thought I'd try it and see whether it's really possible to do so and not get frostbitten. Especially since I think I've found some more sources for tights that are big enough.

Yesterday morning I went out in yellow tights (size EE from WeLoveColors.com) and my 30" green taffeta skirt with a red chiffon petticoat. The only part of me that got cold was at ankle level.

Today I tried purple tights (size 6x from womanwithin.com) and my purple hiking/biking skirt with a net petticoat, and while I didn't get frostbitten, I definitely got a bit numb from the knees down.
Davy

Post by Davy »

I have had pretty good luck with an ankle length skirt with no hose in the somewhat cold weather, but I agree, it might not work in the Chicago winter. One advantage I quickly discovered over pants was that with your legs touching they keep each other warm.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Women (in pants) are finding out how cold pants are compared to warm cuddly skirts... hehehe. They gave them up...WE like them. :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Sylvain

Post by Sylvain »

crfriend wrote:I'm not sure what the temperatures have been like in Ohio in the recent past, but it got nasty cold here (< 20 degrees (F)) recently and even with heavy tights it's too much to be out in for any length of time in a skirt.
Nothing over 0°F is really cold. And I've worn kilts in those temps.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Well, interestingly enough, now I am picking items to wear that are cool. I have been wearing my olive colored Mountain Kilt this summer which is working quite well. Its made out of a lightweight nylon fabric and remains cool on the hottest days here in Ohio. I have worn my Sportkilt in the past (poly), but I do find it a bit on the warm side. I prefer it for more moderate weather.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Just got a great Black Pencil Knee length BCBGMaxizirra skirt at Macys on sale for $19.99

Will be wearing it this weekeend.

Dawn
A+J

Post by A+J »

I´m wearing skirt all year round. Last winter was realy cold here in Sweden and with a lot of snow. I don´t like to drive my car in the winter so I go by bus/train to the office.
As it was very cold I wore tight or leggings over my pantyhose and a knee long skirt. Coming to the office I changed, taking off the tights/leggings while indoors.
Some mornings it was very very cold. Days like this I wore ladies jeans/pants to office having nylons/pantyhose under and als my leggings. Then comming to the office I changed into a skirt.
Winter time its boots time for me. Mostly knee high stiletto heeled boots. Last winter we had a lot of snow here so wearing stiletto boots wasn´t such a good idea.
Coulden´t walk in them, it was just to slippery for my stiletto heels so instead I wore boot with a bit wider heels, while outdoors.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

In S. Ireland we have only a 20-odd degree fahrenheit average temperature difference between Summer & Winter.....40-odd in Winter, 62 or3 in Summer....Cool Temperate Maritime, Gulf Stream influenced, so nice short skirts of the kind I like to wear are only practicable on fine days in Summer or early Autumn outdoors, but lovely to wear around the house, of course.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !