Fashion Freedom/Personal Choice!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Fashion Freedom/Personal Choice!

Post by DALederle »

The one things women have had all my life is the freedom to get up on any given day and wear just about anything they wanted to wear.
Oh, I know that during my childhood, the 1950s ad 1960s, there were social pressure on women to wear and dress in certain cothes on certain occasion. Dresses and skirts were the expected "norm" at that time. But even then I saw women in the small town I was growing up in(small until the late 1950s) who went "Bohemian" and would defy the rest in order to wear bib-overalls and capris or pedal pushers. But even then these women got away with it.
A boy or man who varied even slightly from norm was look down on severely.
By the 1970s slacks and pants were being accepted almost everywhere for women and by the 1980s no one seemed to care except for some churches and work places. Now????? You don't dare say a thing to a woman about what she decides to wear.
Now my wife does have a uniform restriction for work. She works for a doctor's office and even tough not a nurse she is expected to wear scrubs each day. She relates it to being as if she were wearing her pajamas to work.
Prior to this job, for 20 years she worked in customer relations with a printing company and wore various, really nice "business" outfits (jeans on "casual Fridays though). She a jeans girl through and through the minute she gets home from work then and now.
She basically wears what she wants whenever we go anywhere and do anything.
And I envy her for that.
Yes, I've told her that too.
But she sees no importance in what she wears of doesn't wear.
Only what I wear!
There's little or no understanding as to what I want to wear either.
And most of the people I know have the attitude that "clothes are clothes, who cares."
I guess if clothing hasn't been made important to you in some way in your life you don't care.
That makes being a MIS-MIK just that much harder to do!
Dennis A. Lederle
:(
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Fashion Freedom/Personal Choice!

Post by crfriend »

Every time I read a post like this, which seems to blame women for mens' ills, I get a really strong desire to stand up and shout, "Stop whining!" If you're unhappy with what's "available" for you to wear, change it -- assert your decision (and right) to do something different and just do it. You'll get old awfully fast if you sit about moping and passively waiting for somebody else to do it for you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Dennis,

I have to confess that I started to write a post similar to Carls but deleted it as I could not quite find a tone that did not seem too aggressive to me.
Consider what you wrote:...most of the people I know have the attitude that "clothes are clothes, who cares."
I know that, obviously you know that, so why not just do as you choose? Assert your right to comfort and self-expression and stop giving in to imaginary demons.

I know that getting the message through to a spouse or close friend is not always easy, but sometimes simple honesty is not just the best policy, it's the only policy. Sit your wife down and tell her gently but firmly that you are going to wear a skirt when it suits you. Explaining your reasons may not help since you would be using logic against an emotional argument so be sure to talk about how you feel about skirting. Then go out and do it. It may help to offer her the chance to follow you at a distance so she can see for herself how little attention other folks give to your attire, do that out of your home range if she's concerned about neighbours seeing you.

Sometimes you just have to grasp the nettle instead of worrying about whether it will sting.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

Gee, Whiz!
Look, my post was just some reandom thoughts I was thinking about yesterday while sitting and looking for "something" which I couldn't find on line.
It wasn't meant as a whine!
I have worn skirts and kilts at various times and functions for years.
But there is always angst when I do it!
I can't just make it go away or ignore it.
I personally feel there are other MIS-MIK, whom I've had on-line contact with over the years that express this same feeling of angst!
For those of you bold enough to have gotten over your worries, I'm glad for you!
But other's may need some help in that direction.
Yelling at me, telling me to "just do it" doesn't help at all.
Okay CRFriend:
How long have you been skirting?
How does you S/O etc. feel about it?
Have you ever worried about it?
Have you ever felt afraid or intimdated?
If you haven't you are indeed a rare person!
More power to you!
I'm still struggling and have been for years.
I get a few days or even weeks and it seems I'm past all that.
Then something is said or done and my paranoia (a clinical diagnosis by the way) from long years of therapy comes crashing back down again.
Since the Celtic Fest is back on in Chicago maybe I'll go spend Saturday in my kilt and start to regain some of my confidence once again.
Dennis A. Lederle
:roll:
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

P.S.
I also wasn't trying to blame women for what I deal with!
They are very fortunate in how things have gone for them in our culture and I do envy them!
But that's not the same as blaming them!
Dennis A. Lederle
:roll:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

DALederle wrote:Okay CRFriend:
How long have you been skirting?
How does you S/O etc. feel about it?
Have you ever worried about it?
Have you ever felt afraid or intimdated?
If you haven't you are indeed a rare person!
I've been wearing skirts on more or less of a daily basis since about 2003 (I think; it's been a while). For the vast bulk of that time it's been an "off-hours" style choice; however, I have worn skirts to work in the past few weeks.

As far as my "significant other" is concerned, she's not just "fine" with it, she's thrilled that I'm actually somewhat interested in what I look like now. That just didn't happen when it was the same bland trouser look every day of the week -- week in and week out -- year in and year out.

I don't worry about wearing skirts in the least. I find them vastly more comfortable than trousers, and that comes across to observers as confidence and power.

Finally, yes, I have felt a little "intimidated", but only on the rarest of occasions, and in each and every one of those I've been able to turn the tables in my favour by simply adressing the possible "problem" head on and without using intimidation myself.
More power to you!
I'm still struggling and have been for years.
A point I'm trying to drive home here is that there really is no reason to struggle with it. After all, it's not like you're going out and committing armed robbery or something of the ilk -- you're merely covering yourself in what's considered "out of the oridinary" in western civilisation.
Then something is said or done and my paranoia (a clinical diagnosis by the way) from long years of therapy comes crashing back down again.
OK, that's a problem, but I suspect you'll find that if you look at the issues from a distance there's precisely no need to be paranoid about it. Yes, you're going to stick out; yes, your attire will draw comments; and yes, people will do double-takes: but, those can be taken in stride if one builds his confidence, first and foremost in who he is inside, and secondly how he looks.
Since the Celtic Fest is back on in Chicago maybe I'll go spend Saturday in my kilt and start to regain some of my confidence once again.
Do it up! However, don't "use it as an excuse" to wear your kilt -- wear your kilt because you want to. "Wanting to" is excuse enough.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I'm crfriend's SO. When he started wearing skirts, I worried about for the length of time it took to walk out the kitchen door and get to the mailbox, about 15 seconds. THen I decided that worrying about it was a waste of time and energy. His skirts did not change who he is.

In fact, after cfriend started wearing skirts, he became more interested in how he looks: what a great benefit to me!

I've bought skirts for him. I keep an eye open when shopping to see if there are any skirts that would good on him.

In turn, I get a good looking guy in good looking clothes!
Sapphire
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

DALederle wrote:Gee, Whiz!
Look, my post was just some reandom thoughts...
It wasn't meant as a whine!
Well, it did come across that way.

I notice that more than 75% of your original post was about what women (and specifically your wife) can do that you can't. Your previous posts have had a similar tone. If that's the way you talk to your wife, I could imagine that the topic of your wearing skirts and/or kilts might be a pretty sore point by now, not so much because she objects to the skirts/kilts as such, but because it seems to be about blaming her for your unhappiness.

BTW, this doesn't just apply to the OP. I wonder how many of the men who complain about their wives or SO's being unsupportive of their "fashion choices" are acting in ways that wouldn't endear anyone to the idea of men in skirts.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

I apologize to every one hear! My rant was during a fit of paranoic depression brought on by my PTSS (post traumatic stress syndrom) that I still suffer from from childhood. I won't get into the exact details since they involve early age(pre kindergarten) child abuse. I still have a few nights, not as many as I used, where I can't close my eyes. Bad dreams that won't go away.
Wearing a skirt is actually part of my personal coping therapy.
Now for some god news that floored me today!
A friend of my wife (actually her boss, the office manager) stopped by to pick up an exercize machine we were getting rid of. A total gym or something that belonged to my step son.
While gabbing about things in general her boss mention seeing an Irish fest in town and asked if I was going in my kilt. That my wife has mentioned to everyone at work that I wear kilts and even skirts and they think it's okay!
Huh!
I carry around way to much personal guilt I guess.
Build you molehills into moutains, step this way.
My wife was even joking about it!
So tonight I'm in my nock-around, black denim (I can't wear blue) home made skirt.
No problem!
Wow!
Okay, so know to see how to go from here!
Dennis
:shock: