Hobble Skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Hobble Skirts

Post by Since1982 »

This is a subject that was brought up a couple of years ago and got some discussion. Since a lot of the members then are no longer here and a bunch of new ones have arrived, I thought I'd give it another chance. Has anyone tried a hobble skirt? If so, what did you think of it? :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hobble Skirts

Post by r1g0r »

i have tried skirts that hindered my steps, and while they weren't as restrictive as hobble skirts they were VERY aggravating. i think true hobble skirts have to kept for situations where you can COUNT on not having to do any walking. otherwise they are just restrictive.

they could be sexy, and probably sensual if made of the right material. but ya gotta be in the right situation for them to work.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

All,

A few years ago I took a pair of shorts to a seamstress and had her convert
them into a skirt. As she predicted, it came out rather on the tight side and
I immediately noticed the restriction to my stride when wearing it. It was rather
sexy, and while I enjoyed having to take short, dainty steps, the overall look
of the skirt was less than I was hoping for and I ended up tossing it out.

There's certainly nothing wrong with a tight skirt, and if you're wearing heels
too you would want to walk carefully anyway. If the fit seems too restrictive,
consider making it shorter!

Cheers, John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'll agree with r1g0r on this one. Although I haven't given them a go personally, I can well imagine that having to mince along would get might aggravating after a while. In their place, I suppose, they could work, but the wearer has to accept that they're going to be mainly ornamental whilst wearing wuch a rig and that any meaningful amount of motion is out of the question.

My ankle-length skirt is somewhat on the narrow side, but it doesn't hinder me. It reminds me that it's there by rubbing my ankles (not unlike a cat) but does not prevent a normal stride.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

My understanding is that hobble skirts, like high high heels, are kind of like bondage -- their "sexiness" comes from the helplessness of the wearer. ("There's no way I could get away if you wanted to have your way with me.")
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

I actually like them, they are certainly not the most comfortable ones, but still feel better on the crotch than a pair of trousers. From aesthetic point of view I look great in such a skirt, especially with the right heels, blouse and depends on the season a tailored jacket.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

SkirtedViking said: From aesthetic point of view I look great in such a skirt, especially with the right heels, blouse and depending on the season, a tailored jacket.
I'm sure we'd all like to see you in such an outfit in a series of nice pictures in here.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Not my cup of tee.
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

Since1982 wrote:
SkirtedViking said: From aesthetic point of view I look great in such a skirt, especially with the right heels, blouse and depending on the season, a tailored jacket.
I'm sure we'd all like to see you in such an outfit in a series of nice pictures in here.
Right now I do not have a camera to do that, hopefully I will buy one soon.
There is nothing worse than double standard!