Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by pelmut »

At Sidmouth Folk Festival last week there were so many men in skirts or kilts that I gave up counting them.  Some were 'costume' but the vast majority appeared to be personal preference.  I managed to have a chat with some of the wearers and they all said how comfortable skirts were and how good they were for dancing.

Two in particular deserve special mention:
1)  A lad in a black Utilikilt that had had the seams unpicked and yellow gores inserted.  When he stood still it appeared all black, but when he twirled it opened out into a glorious yellow and black striped cone.  He said he didn't make it himself but found it on the internet.

2)  Charlie (of this group) wearing by far the brightest skirt on the dance floor and attracting admiring glances.

I predict even more skirted men at Sidmouth next year.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Great news Pelmut..any photos?
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:42 pm Great news Pelmut..any photos?
Sorry, no.

Dancers in costume, giving a public display, are obviously fair game for anyone to photograph, but I would respect the privacy of social dancers.  On one occasion, many years ago, I photographed a friend at a dance; a stranger, who thought she might have appeared in the background, raised merry hell with the organisers.  They contacted me and demanded a copy of the photograph to prove that the complainant wasn't identifiable.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

pelmut wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:53 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:42 pm Great news Pelmut..any photos?
Sorry, no.
Pelmut, an Internet image search showed lots of dancers; male and female in skirts and dresses. Looks like Sidmouth is radical. I'd like to think it's like that all year round. Wouldn't that be great.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:14 pm ... Looks like Sidmouth is radical. I'd like to think it's like that all year round. Wouldn't that be great.
There are two factors here: Sidmouth and folk dance.  The residents of Sidmouth are not one homgenous mass, some would be completely unfazed by almost any costume (or lack of it), others would be writing to the Prime Minister if they could find some dog mess to tread in.  I don't think the majority of residents would even bother to give a second glance if you went there in a skirt at any time of the year.

Folk dance is similarly diverse, a very few extremists might shun you if you turned up at their exclusive dance club wearing the wrong colour shoes but the majority would welcome you at any of their dances, regardless of dress*, as long as you were willing to dance.

*The possible exception is if you wore a 'cowboy' shirt and hat -- and kept shouting "Yee Haa!'.  They don't like that.
Dungo

Post by Dungo »

Lunchtime today I noted a gent beyond retirement age and perhaps appearing slightly unkempt doing his shopping in the Winchester city centre Sainsbury’s in a mid thigh kilted skirt. It was definitely from the other side of the aisle (kilt pin on the left thigh, apron right over left and the length gave it away). He looked completely natural and ‘right’ as he progressed with his shopping so I decided to leave him be and not compliment him. Suffice to say I didn’t see any reaction whatsoever from the other shoppers in what was a pretty busy shop.
All rather pleasing and reassuring.
I should add that I was in male drab work uniform at the time.
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

pelmut wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:54 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:14 pm ... Looks like Sidmouth is radical. I'd like to think it's like that all year round. Wouldn't that be great.
There are two factors here: Sidmouth and folk dance.  The residents of Sidmouth are not one homgenous mass, some would be completely unfazed by almost any costume (or lack of it), others would be writing to the Prime Minister if they could find some dog mess to tread in.  I don't think the majority of residents would even bother to give a second glance if you went there in a skirt at any time of the year.

Folk dance is similarly diverse, a very few extremists might shun you if you turned up at their exclusive dance club wearing the wrong colour shoes but the majority would welcome you at any of their dances, regardless of dress*, as long as you were willing to dance.

*The possible exception is if you wore a 'cowboy' shirt and hat -- and kept shouting "Yee Haa!'.  They don't like that.
I’m at Shrewsbury Folk Festival (as every year) this weekend and am watching out for skirted men. So far a slightly disappointing two - both pleated - one camo, one black. More reports later, folk fans.
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

TonautBrom wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:29 am
pelmut wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:54 pm

I’m at Shrewsbury Folk Festival (as every year) this weekend and am watching out for skirted men. So far a slightly disappointing two - both pleated - one camo, one black. More reports later, folk fans.
Only a couple more wearers, slightly disappointing. It was pretty chilly though.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by TonautBrom » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:23 pm

Only a couple more wearers, slightly disappointing. It was pretty chilly though.
Frankly I find that encouraging -- if any member of John Q Public sees more than 1 man in a skirt in their lifetime, but especially more than one in a single day, that will leave a much stronger, and likely positive, impression.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

TonautBrom wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:23 pm [...]
I went to Shrewsbury Steam Fair, just along the road from the folk festival.  It was a bit chilly but a just-below-the-knee denim 'A'-line skirt with long socks was adequate during the daytime.  On Sunday evening I walked around the town in a long flowing thin cotton skirt and wished I had thought to bring a warm underskirt to go with it.
skirtedlondoner

Post by skirtedlondoner »

by TonautBrom » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:23 pm
Frankly I find that encouraging -- if any member of John Q Public sees more than 1 man in a skirt in their lifetime, but especially more than one in a single day, that will leave a much stronger, and likely positive, impression.
In London I see at least one person in a skirt daily - except for myself obviously :D
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I saw a nice kilt going the other way on the local footpath today: deep maroon/crimson, with the inside of the pleats picked out in a strongly contrasting blue. Couldn't pass comment as both of us were deep in our own conversations, but it was good to see.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Saw a husband and wife at the grocery store Sunday evening.
She was wearing T-Shirt & Jeans, he was wearing a T-shirt and stumptown, cream colored, kilt.
I complimented him and we had a good conversation. I was wearing a white, short sleeve dress shirt
and a green & white, leaf design skirt. He didn't even notice until a few minutes into our conversation.
He, and his wife, were very nice people to talk with :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I was out today at the seaside with the family. Firstly I got out of the car and my daughter and wife were lagging back. My daughter said sorry but I hate that skirt. Here it is:
Screenshot_20230624_185110_Gallery.jpg
I wore the skirt because I wanted to keep a low profile and.. I like it.

Then on the pier, guess what? I see a young guy in a long black silk skirt getting on the roller coaster with two very pretty girls. I'm no expert but he didn't look gay or trans. Just a guy in a skirt. Brilliant.

Then we are sat having a milkshake and a guy walks past me in a sarong. OK he was a hippie and hippies used to wear sarongs but boom! Number 2. Bit later I see another sarong. My daughter says it's a older women. "With those size 10 feet?" ok it's a man she said. Number 3.

Finally my daughter sees a guy in a gap teeshirt with a grey skirt over bell bottom jeans and dm's. I'm trying to find a toilet for my wife so I miss him but tells him she likes his outfit. Number 4!

Including me that's 5 men in skirts in one day. That is definitely a record for me. I dont want get my hopes up but that gave me such a great confidence boost to see that many men out there today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Liverpool Street station, London, man in long denim pencil skirt (front slit) standing at the ticket barriers amongst the hustle and bustle of evening rush hour. No one else batted an eyelid. Nice to see someone else out and about skirted, despite the foul weather. I'd just stocked up on stockings ahead of winter :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...