Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by r.m.anderson »

KiltedBigWave wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:13 pm I feel pleats on the back of a kilt are both functional and for looks. They provide more range of motion as well as look good.
Ya - the best backfield in motion is with the double box pleats !
The more pleats (smaller rather than larger) the more attractive the motion comments etc.

Only in skirts and ladies kilts are the pleats found in the front - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:47 pm
KiltedBigWave wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:13 pm I feel pleats on the back of a kilt are both functional and for looks. They provide more range of motion as well as look good.
Ya - the best backfield in motion is with the double box pleats !
The more pleats (smaller rather than larger) the more attractive the motion comments etc.

All my hash kilts by Sport Kilt have the double box pleat, which is a rarely used traditional method which makes for a more distinctive trail kilt. These kilts are one of the most comfortable you will ever wear, and you are connecting to the kilted past wearing this tradition.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I like the pleats on a kilt, but I'd really rather the front was pleated as well. Apart from the nice look and feel, it would make it easier to sit down elegantly.

I do have one box-pleated kilt, custom-made by the American tartan expert Matthew Newsome.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Hi guys. Perhaps this Interesting pleat and pocket discussion should move to “Kilts, Kilts”. I keep getting excited at a host of new Sightings in the Wild; only to be disappointed 😔 :lol:
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:47 pm ...

The original Utilikilts had pleats the whole way around, including the front. They pulled on with a front zip fly. Later versions became a wrap with a narrow apron, but hidden behind that apron was more pleats...
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Spotted yesterday morning in West Wickham High Street a gentleman (I’m 95% certain) in black coat with black jumper and knee length black skirt. Also sporting black spectacles and a pin through his septum. We exchanged “hello” and a smile and passed on our way.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

greenboots wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:54 pm Spotted yesterday morning in West Wickham High Street a gentleman (I’m 95% certain) in black coat with black jumper and knee length black skirt. Also sporting black spectacles and a pin through his septum. We exchanged “hello” and a smile and passed on our way.
Good work GB, people appreciate a kind word. I know I do
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

unconfirmed, but I may have seen a black man wearing a pink skirt on the drive to work walking down the sidewalk holding some kind of sign, I couldn't read what it said. I didn't get a good look the person was wearing a mask and had short hair, didn't look obviously like a girl but was wearing a skirt.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

JRMILLER wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:29 pm I spotted two guys in the Tuscon airport in utilikilts and Hawaiian shirts. My wife thinks they must have been gay. I didn't get that impression -- but how can you really tell unless you ask?
Doesn't matter anyway does it ? Who cares ...only them ..their business .
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Tazzmac wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:34 pm
JRMILLER wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:29 pm I spotted two guys in the Tuscon airport in utilikilts and Hawaiian shirts. My wife thinks they must have been gay. I didn't get that impression -- but how can you really tell unless you ask?
Doesn't matter anyway does it ? Who cares ...only them ..their business .
I would bet that the gay assumption happens a lot with MIS, though probably less so with kilts. It's something I was prepared for from the start, probably because in all honesty, I would have thought the same 20 years ago, but even then it would not have mattered to me.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

On the way into our local shopping centre the other day I spotted, well walked past a family who were on their way out, mum, dad and 3 kids, dad was wearing what looked like a mid-calf black, maybe wrap around (to the right from my brief glimpse) skirt, most definitely a skirt. Dad had a decent bushy beard so no mistake made. I was wearing my army green utility kilt, so two blokes feelin' the breeze in the same place at the same time. From memory that day it was a sweaty 36°C with an afternoon thunderstorm and it was much cooler and less sweaty not in shorts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

So a couple men combined two items (utilikilts, Hawaiian shirts) that are both deemed to be mens wear. Both within the range of socially acceptable for straight males.

That does not imply gay to me.

Perhaps the cognitive dissonance is caused by a fairly modest move away from drab/dull.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

Passed a man on Sauchiehall street in Glasgow this morning wearing a midi skirt, black pinstripe and otherwise typical male attire. Definitely a man. Yes I'm skirted too but no interaction, he was in a group and smoking which I hate. Good to see more men skirting like it's as normal as trousers.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

Remarkably saw a second one before heading home. Again definitely a man not crossdresser. Are we getting near critical mass maybe?
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Yesterday at Brussels central station, I saw a bearded man (beard was not so long but obvious) wearing a black skirt or dress. It was ankle length at the back and a bit higher at the front. He had a jacket on so it may be a dress as well as it may be a skirt. He was focusing on the departure screen, I don't have seen any reaction or whatever but don't have noticed directly, his attire was pretty "drab" and he was acting as anyone else. I was wearing trousers, my friends were discussing one meter apart, and I was not in a mood to go to him regardless of my friends or my trousers so nothing happened. Definitely what we can describe as "a male wearing a skirt/dress".

Since I wore my first skirt, I have seen one guy wearing a black leather skirt, one wearing a kilt (twice, first was sky blue, second was orange-red), one guy wearing a skirt or dress, a few guys (two or three as far as I can remember) wearing skirt or dress as a signifier of gender-something, and a lot of men (tens of them, eventually one hundred) wearing some traditional unbifurcated garment (kurta, djelaba, etc.). I have heard about another guy that recently started wearing a kilt. On some event (a concert I think), a friend wore once a kilt, and I found a picture of a convention I went to where someone was wearing a kilt that I didn't even noticed at the time I was there. If I count skirt/dress/kilt, this sums up to 7 + 2/3 men (myself included) in five years. Not really a "critical mass" where I live, actually