Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Derek Plattis wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:18 am
SkaterSkirtWearer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:27 am Was in Norwich on Wednesday and saw a guy wearing a skirt and leggings going into The Forum (Norwich Library). No one really seemed to notice or care apart from me.
Norwich is one of the few places I've actually been laughed at when skirt wearing. Some years ago a couple guys on scaffolding in London Street thought it was hilarious as I made my way into a charity shop.
Come to think of it, I can only remember that sort of reaction happening in one other place. That was Wellington in Somerset some years ago. Two lads passed me in a car as I walked down the street and shouted in amusement at me.
After many years of occaisonal skirt wearing, those are the only negative reactions I can remember.

Derek
Well that's builders for you in general, haven't worn a skirt in Norwich yet, but will see what happens.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

Derek Plattis wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:18 am
SkaterSkirtWearer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:27 am Was in Norwich on Wednesday and saw a guy wearing a skirt and leggings going into The Forum (Norwich Library). No one really seemed to notice or care apart from me.
Norwich is one of the few places I've actually been laughed at when skirt wearing. Some years ago a couple guys on scaffolding in London Street thought it was hilarious as I made my way into a charity shop.
Come to think of it, I can only remember that sort of reaction happening in one other place. That was Wellington in Somerset some years ago. Two lads passed me in a car as I walked down the street and shouted in amusement at me.
After many years of occaisonal skirt wearing, those are the only negative reactions I can remember.

Derek
I was laughed at by two lads in a car who were both sniffing some kind of gas out of a balloon. Think the laugh's on them, silly little boys who can't grow up.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

It was probably nitrous oxide - laughing gas.

In Norwich in September I was returning to our hotel after a restaurant meal and was wearing a dress, as usual. We were passed by some young drunks. As they got well past, one of them turned and said to me ‘you’re wearing a dress’. Very brave of him to ensure he was out of reach before producing his sparkling wit. My wife fell about laughing.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Today in King’s Cross area of London is saw a family in very striking attire. The mother and daughter were in what I (probably inaccurately) would describe as modern hippy style clothing.

Father was bare chested and tattooed and wearing a dark tartan kilt (possibly Black Watch). Young son was in a trilby or similar had, a formal looking suit jacket and grey tartan kilt.

That reminds me that I saw another heavily tattooed man in a kilt whilst on holiday in Cornwall. (He was also wearing a rather offensive t shirt.)
BFTights

Post by BFTights »

I meant to post this before Christmas but got side tracked with other stuff! I was at a Conference in London last month with several hundred delegates and there was a man in his late 30s / early 40s who attended both days in what looked like a Boden or Seasalt tunic dress, leggings and ankle boots. Being slim he looked great and exuded confidence. He spoke at several workshops and clearly had a supportive wife and children. I have to say I was completely envious!
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

It would seem that for many reasons that yesterday was a very interesting...

I was driving along one of the local roads and we went past a bloke, probably in his mid 40s or so, wearing what looked like a satin maroon about ankle length dress. Definitely a bloke, shoulder length wavy hair and full beard. My wife saw him too at about the same time.

Then, a couple of hours later we were in the local (Carindale) mall getting baby supplies when a group of 3 guys, probably around 18 or so age, walks past, all somewhat alternative in appearance, but quite usual for that age.
One of these guys had long wavy hair, at least 6ft4 (little taller than me) and wearing an ankle length black skirt with what looked like a fine silvery print and small chains/rings attached, think a bit gothy.
None of them appeared to attract any attention at all, completely normal and blending in with everybody else.

That's two in one day! There must be something in Brisbane's water...
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Saw a man walking along Hornsey Lane in North London, wearing a long blue skirt, ankle length with a short jacket, without a care in the world. I was in a Prince of Wales check pencil skirt with black tights and booties, but he didn't acknowledge me as we passed this afternoon... but great to see another sighting in the wild :)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Not exactly in the wild, as I was sitting at the kitchen table cruising my Facebook feed, but I was unexpectedly presented with a video short from studio photographer Ben Marcum, of Louisville KY. He demonstrates how to pose for a portrait, and incidentally reveals that he is wearing a smart black utility kilt.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

This evening in Sainsbury's there was a 9 or 10-year old boy wearing a mid-length bright yellow 'A'-line skirt made of some heavy fabric.  He was having fun doing twirls in it, while his sister looked on and his mother concentrated on her shopping.  Nobody seemed to notice and even the friend I was with commented that if she had noticed him she would have been less surprised than if she had noticed the price of chocolate biscuits hadn't gone up again this week.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:13 am Not exactly in the wild, as I was sitting at the kitchen table cruising my Facebook feed, but I was unexpectedly presented with a video short from studio photographer Ben Marcum, of Louisville KY. He demonstrates how to pose for a portrait, and incidentally reveals that he is wearing a smart black utility kilt.
I just looked at his facebook page, and in every video he has a black kilt on. Cool!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

In recent years my work town Naas (Pop ca 30,000) has acquired a recognisable Muslim quarter where daily men walk about clad in middle Eastern raiment, part of which is an ankle length loose skirt or robe hanging from the shoulders. It's a sort of identity thing. Nothing remotely feminine of course. They all sport full beards and knitted little skull hats.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

My wife and I were walking through the town centre yesterday evening - not something we do often, as it is can get a bit rowdy and unsalubrious on a Saturday night - and were surprised to see a bloke coming the other way in a black kilt. I half-waved to him in a non-committal sort of way, as I was wearing a khaki utility kilt myself.

Then today, walking across to the park, we saw another kilt. This time it was a dark blue utility kilt with distinct external pockets. As the gentleman wearing it was shaven headed and rather fearsomely tattooed, I didn't head over to offer a cheery comment; I was not wearing a kilt myself at the time, but a calf-length denim skirt, and wouldn't want him to think I was taking the mickey.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:13 pm My wife and I were walking through the town centre yesterday evening - not something we do often, as it is can get a bit rowdy and unsalubrious on a Saturday night - and were surprised to see a bloke coming the other way in a black kilt. I half-waved to him in a non-committal sort of way, as I was wearing a khaki utility kilt myself.

Then today, walking across to the park, we saw another kilt. This time it was a dark blue utility kilt with distinct external pockets. As the gentleman wearing it was shaven headed and rather fearsomely tattooed, I didn't head over to offer a cheery comment; I was not wearing a kilt myself at the time, but a calf-length denim skirt, and wouldn't want him to think I was taking the mickey.
Sounds like you did the right thing. It's nice to be acknowledged but not expected. If you see them again maybe a nod might be in order.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Midas wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:06 pm It was probably nitrous oxide - laughing gas.

In Norwich in September I was returning to our hotel after a restaurant meal and was wearing a dress, as usual. We were passed by some young drunks. As they got well past, one of them turned and said to me ‘you’re wearing a dress’. Very brave of him to ensure he was out of reach before producing his sparkling wit. My wife fell about laughing.
A couple of times I've been told I'm wearing a skirt. I thought a good reply (but haven't used it) would be to look down, all surprised, and exclaim "So that's why I feel so comfortable!"
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

This morning in Crystal Palace Park, walked past an older couple both in skirts. His was ankle length denim, quite wide but perhaps not as much as half-circle. At the time I didn’t notice his other items but I passed him again later and saw a light tan canvas (or possibly corduroy) blouson style jacket plus beret and John Lennon sunglasses.

His clothing was decorated with various badges and appliqué patches including one with a penny farthing that appeared to relate to an event.

I didn’t mention it to my wife at the time, partly because she was in the middle of a sentence and I’m often told off for not paying attention. I also thought she would not appreciate me raising a controversial topic in a public place (not that anyone would have overheard). Of course, it’s now ancient history, so we probably won’t get the conversation after all. :sigh: