Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by rode_kater »

Just today at Amsterdam Central station saw a man in a long colourful "bloemetjesrok" (skirt with lots of small flowers), ankle length, waiting for the lift on the platform. Quite a nice red colour.

Later at a rave that was just getting started, an elderly man with a long black skirt from waist to floor, and for the top just a bolero jacket. I guess he was planning to stay the night. Later on the way home saw a guy in a knee length skirt & something like tights probably heading to the same rave.

No skirt for me because I haven't yet found a look I like for the winter (2C and heavy winds).
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Almost forgot: seen in the lobby of a Vancouver hotel a youngish man (bearded so no mistake) with green tints at the long hair ends wearing what was clearly a female style tunic over jeans and boots. The coat could also have been from across the isle - I don’t remember.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

passed a guy in the vancouver mall in a black skirt, definitely a guy and definitely not a kilt of any type.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

timemeddler wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:43 am passed a guy in the vancouver mall in a black skirt, definitely a guy and definitely not a kilt of any type.
Vancouver, WA -- or B.C -- if WA, it could have been me earlier today -- I think you may be Portland based -- anyway if the WA mall just off I-5, and you spot me again -- don't hesitate to speak up. Re PDX, I think we will be at Providence Hospital on 47th. in N.E. Portland on Wednesday -- could say hello? Salud, Faldaguy
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:41 am
timemeddler wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:43 am passed a guy in the vancouver mall in a black skirt, definitely a guy and definitely not a kilt of any type.
Vancouver, WA -- or B.C -- if WA, it could have been me earlier today -- I think you may be Portland based -- anyway if the WA mall just off I-5, and you spot me again -- don't hesitate to speak up. Re PDX, I think we will be at Providence Hospital on 47th. in N.E. Portland on Wednesday -- could say hello? Salud, Faldaguy
vancouver mall washington.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Saw a chap in a tartan kilt (Buchanan tartan) with white socks in Walthamstow, London. He stared at me, even though I was in an invisible denim skirt with boots.
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

new2skirts wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:47 pm Saw a chap in a tartan kilt (Buchanan tartan) with white socks in Walthamstow, London. He stared at me, even though I was in an invisible denim skirt with boots.
from what I've seen on the x marks the scott forums, a fair number of kilt wearers are really uptight about wearing anything that might be vaguely associated with womenswear.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

new2skirts wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:47 pm Saw a chap in a tartan kilt (Buchanan tartan) with white socks in Walthamstow, London. He stared at me, even though I was in an invisible denim skirt with boots.
You didn't mention what type of legwear you had on, new2skirts.
I suspect that given the time of year, it was continuous from your boots right up to your skirt.
That was obviously not acceptable in the eyes of the guy in the tartan kilt and white socks.
Bare knees above socks with a kilt?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

timemeddler wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:00 am
from what I've seen on the x marks the scott forums, a fair number of kilt wearers are really uptight about wearing anything that might be vaguely associated with womenswear.
You get that with that orthodox kilt forum - very strictly uptight rigid application of dem rules regs of kilt wearing !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

That wasn't me in the kilt but I do live nearby in Buckhurst Hill - waves hello!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

shadowfax wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:56 pm
I suspect that given the time of year, it was continuous from your boots right up to your skirt.
That was obviously not acceptable in the eyes of the guy in the tartan kilt and white socks.
My legwear stopped at my upper thighs :oops: but I was not bothered by his staring, no one was that fazed by my denim skirt, even the crowds of teens at the bus stop. The way guys jeans resemble leggings nowdays shows how fashion is moving on. I do like a kilt now and then but it's more of a special occasion thing where skirts are every day. Perhaps I should have been in a tartan skirt? :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am sure I would stare if I saw another guy wearing a skirt, I have never seen it yet. Hence I can understand others having a second glance at me.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

new2skirts wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:09 am
shadowfax wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:56 pm
My legwear stopped at my upper thighs :oops: but I was not bothered by his staring, no one was that fazed by my denim skirt, even the crowds of teens at the bus stop. The way guys jeans resemble leggings nowdays shows how fashion is moving on. I do like a kilt now and then but it's more of a special occasion thing where skirts are every day. Perhaps I should have been in a tartan skirt? :mrgreen:
My apologies, new2skirts, I drew the wrong conclusion from your words that the kilted guy's stare was of disapproval of your skirt. My bad. :(
Thank you for the clarification and the info on your legwear.
Last edited by shadowfax on Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

denimini wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:21 am I am sure I would stare if I saw another guy wearing a skirt, I have never seen it yet. Hence I can understand others having a second glance at me.
I think I would also. The only one I have been close to was behind me in a coffee shop in Alice Springs. Of course it would be rude to turn and have a good look. I think I did see a couple in Adelaide when there last year but fleeting and at a distance where it was difficult to be certain. A pity we didn't get to meet when I past your bond store after South Australia, wearing a skirt of course. I think it is extremely rare in our small communities especially where SO doesn't want family and friends to know.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I don't think I mentioned this one before: at my work there's someone who wears dresses. Well, technically. Because they look like the tunics men wore in the middle age, complete with belt and embroidery patterns. If they said they were going to a reenactment of a medieval battle afterwards you'd beleive it right away.

It's actually kind of cool, I've never really considered that style. No-one cares. He works for another department so I rarely see him, occasionally at lunch, but just happened to run into him on the way out this evening. I feel like I could have said something, but no idea what. I mean, I don't comment on other people's clothing generally, so why now?