Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by howardfh »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:13 pm

Then today, walking across to the park, we saw another kilt. This time it was a dark blue utility kilt with distinct external pockets. As the gentleman wearing it was shaven headed and rather fearsomely tattooed, I didn't head over to offer a cheery comment; I was not wearing a kilt myself at the time, but a calf-length denim skirt, and wouldn't want him to think I was taking the mickey.
If I were close enough I'd briefly say "cool outfit fella" or something; I like it when I get a brief positive comment. Notice when I do the full transvestite look than women can't help themselves but ask where I get my skirt, boots or whatever from! Walked into a bar "dressed" and the girl behind the bar looked up and asked "have you got any lip balm on you by any chance, mine are cracking up".

When it's warmer I'll be going back to male/skirt mode, this weekend's not been far off in NW England but more winter weather is on it's way. Pah.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Seen earlier today emerging from a charity shop in West Wickham High Street, person in black mid length coat with something black flapping below, ankle boots (I think) and bare legs (or possible sheer tights) between. Hair was blue rinse curls, but I fairly sure there was a dark moustache on the upper lip, and the whole bearing and manner of walking suggested male.

(Of course mannerisms etc are no guarantee. I remember being introduced to Maureen who was built like Arnold Schwarzenegger, had hands like Rocky and spoke in a gravelly voice like Lee Marvin, for those of you old enough to remember him. And at my work we have a tall slim person with deep voice who walks like a gangly teenage boy but has the upper body shape of a teenage girl, a hairstyle that would be considered female and dresses from the other side of the aisle. Feminine man, masculine woman or trans woman? Who knows or cares?)
Happyskirt97007

Post by Happyskirt97007 »

I was at the Barnes and Nobles in Eugene Oregon last week and one the folks working there was very manly but was rocking a mid length peasant skirt. I was a very proud of him pulling it off and no one cared.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Happyskirt97007 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:06 am I was at the Barnes and Nobles in Eugene Oregon last week and one the folks working there was very manly but was rocking a mid length peasant skirt. I was a very proud of him pulling it off and no one cared.
Can you describe what else he was wearing? Your reaction is what I want others to think of my clothing choices.

To the naysayers/throat jumpers, I want this info not because of a fragile masculinity but because my style (in my head) is as one who is happy as a man, wants to wear stuff that imbues a outdoorsy individual (I’m an avid hiker/camper, real, not glamping/fisherman) but with one “softer” accoutrement that evens it out. Just no frilly stuff. That’s not my style. And please also note, I have no problem with people who like frills, wear frilly stuff or like it. It is just not my style. I just enjoy the juxtaposition of styles that at least to me, look put together.

I think this one reason I’ve always been more serf with hiking skirts. Women doing outdoors thing in style. And now a few men doing the same
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I was kind of stunned yesterday, had a sighting in the wild in my own little town. The wife & I had just walked around the local lake park and were in the car leaving the parking lot and we saw a tall older (than me) gentlemen wearing a light grey skirt. Not a kilt...it was pleated all the way around and was knee-length. Could have knocked me over with a feather.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:09 pm I was kind of stunned yesterday, had a sighting in the wild in my own little town. The wife & I had just walked around the local lake park and were in the car leaving the parking lot and we saw a tall older (than me) gentlemen wearing a light grey skirt. Not a kilt...it was pleated all the way around and was knee-length. Could have knocked me over with a feather.
Perhaps you’ve made the difference in your own corner of the world. That’s awesome
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:29 pm Perhaps you’ve made the difference in your own corner of the world. That’s awesome
I'd like to think so, but I assumed they were tourists, had a few grandkids in tow and there was a Saturday market at the old train depot. Either way it was nice to see.
Happyskirt97007

Post by Happyskirt97007 »

I have been watching the original Fantasy Island from the 70's and the men on the island wear what look like mini skirts. Sure they are sarongs but they dont have the wrap look, they look much more like skirts.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Yesterday's church service involved children dressing up as kings, queens, princes, and princesses. I was pleased to see one small boy (aged about 3?) happily twirling about in a turquoise princess outfit.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:58 am Yesterday's church service involved children dressing up as kings, queens, princes, and princesses. I was pleased to see one small boy (aged about 3?) happily twirling about in a turquoise princess outfit.
I certainly wouldn't have been allowed to do that in Sunday School.
However, would it have been as easy if the boy was a teenager?
Steve.
big_daddy_thong

Post by big_daddy_thong »

It's good to know that I'm not the only dude out here in the world wearing a skirt. I was doing yard work this past weekend and I saw a male in his 30's walking down the sidewalk in my neighborhood wearing a knee length pleated skirt or kilt with pockets. It feels that I'm not alone and its normal to wear a skirt B~D
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:49 am
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:58 am Yesterday's church service involved children dressing up as kings, queens, princes, and princesses. I was pleased to see one small boy (aged about 3?) happily twirling about in a turquoise princess outfit.
I certainly wouldn't have been allowed to do that in Sunday School.
However, would it have been as easy if the boy was a teenager?
Steve.
I have one in primary and two in senior now and I can say from experience that the process now is: let him do it, don't encourage it. Ignore it and he'll grow out of it. Essentially they are looking for a swift resolution back to the status quo. There is little to no acceptance that boys can cross the gender divide. Girls can, it's encouraged but boys can't.
Strangly once in senior school the tables are turned (slightly). Girls, I have learned from my daughter are more restricted in their choice of sports.
There are more openly gay and trans kids. The roadmen and chavs bully, spitball, harass and beat them up but they are enough to hold their own and the school supports them. Boys do not wear skirts, it's unheard of.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Driving home I saw a homeless man wearing a nice black skirt. This is Florida so he may not have been homeless but everything but the skirt screamed it. Down to the socks only as he carried some ratty shoes.

I’ve seen guys in kilts and guys dressing “in drag” but never a guy in a skirt otherwise wearing make clothing. Except when I look in a mirror
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

The moon must be in the right place: I too met a chap wearing a skirt in public today. I was driving down a frontage road to the highway near the hospital and some medical offices in McMinnville, OR this morning when I saw a man walking intently along the sidewalk in a black, knee length "A" line skirt. It was not remarkable in color or style, but it was so clearly a guy in a skirt that I did a U-turn and caught up with him just as he was entering a compound of offices surrounding a central parking lot. I was still kind of stammering to myself when he noticed my obvious stare and 'pacing' him with the car. I stopped and he walked over to the window, and I said 'Good on you' while moving my own skirt in a way that it was obvious, and said I was trying to get men out of their rut of regimented conformity; and he said, "I figure it gives them something to talk about". That was about it as I was stopped in the entry to the parking lot and he was clearly in route somewhere. My wife was with me, and as we departed the lot following his comment, she said "but you've taken it a lot further with your colors". Indeed, his attire was not flashy, but it was clearly a skirted man and not a bit of hesitation in his presenting or comfort in wearing it in public.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:50 am
"I figure it gives them something to talk about". That was about it as I was stopped in the entry to the parking lot and he was clearly in route somewhere. My wife was with me, and as we departed the lot following his comment, she said "but you've taken it a lot further with your colors". Indeed, his attire was not flashy, but it was clearly a skirted man and not a bit of hesitation in his presenting or comfort in wearing it in public.
Your wife approved of your “colors?”

I’m sensing a slow shift towards accepting people as they dress. I know it’s not as fast as anyone wants and the naysayers will exclaim the sky is falling but in my opinion, it feels promising.