Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Post Reply
Spirou003
Distinguished Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 6:58 pm
Location: Belgium, Charleroi

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Spirou003 »

You can't have too much good things in one time, that's the message :lol:

That's really all good for you, congratulations!
I'm learning english, thus when there is any mistake or weird word/sentence, feel free to tell me it!
User avatar
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:39 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Thank you Spirou.

You might want to take a second look at my post because I just figured out what I failed to do last night.

Now the pictures are there.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Gusto10 »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:14 pm
I was originally against skorts I figured they defeated the reason for wearing a skirt . Than I saw a sale on golf skorts. now their my go to outfit for playing golfScan_20190725 (2).jpg
the second one is good. Left handed?
User avatar
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4439
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:55 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Kirbstone »

Nope. OS1 is using a correct right-handed grip and I endorse his liking for sports skorts. Skirts in appearance but all the modesty shorts bits underneath, comfortable and usually with pockets where they should be.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
User avatar
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 645
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:52 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Charlie »

Yesterday Mrs C and I went to Hestercombe Gardens, near Taunton. I wore a 4" above the knee denim skirt. No-one seemed to notice or care; and it was soooo comfortable.
We were in the Wells branch of Tesco this morning. Mrs C complimented a woman on her dress (it was very nice) and a general discussion on the merits of skirts in hot weather ensued. At the end, my wife pointed out that I also liked to wear skirts. I was in the same denim skirt as yesterday. The woman in the dress said she hadn't noticed - which is just as it should be :D
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Ray »

Great story, Charlie! You’re right. It’s as it should be.
Spirou003
Distinguished Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 6:58 pm
Location: Belgium, Charleroi

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Spirou003 »

Pdxfashionpioneer: I just read again, but know I can't even figure out any kind of "fail" and I don't remember what was I talking about.

Charlie: I like your story! :)
I'm learning english, thus when there is any mistake or weird word/sentence, feel free to tell me it!
User avatar
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:39 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Spirou003 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:01 am
Pdxfashionpioneer: I just read again, but know I can't even figure out any kind of "fail" and I don't remember what was I talking about.

Charlie: I like your story! :)


Hello Spirou, When I first posted my last submission to this thread, I skipped a step in attaching my photos. Nonetheless, you had complimented me on my day. I should have been more clear when I responded to your post,

Btw, I agree that Charlie posted a great experience.

Today was a case study of why you should be flexible with your plans. I was going to wear a black dress today as an expression of mourning for the death of Justice Ginsburg. But while I was washing up I decided to wear a shift I had found in a thrift store with a pattern of large chevrons in black, orange, shocking pink, red and tan (I'll post a picture some time) instead.

I wanted to wear it the other day but just as I was about to put it on, I realized it was stained so I did a load of laundry last night and hung it to dry. My efforts paid off; it was ready to wear again today. Good thing, the weather was rainy and gloomy so I thought its bright colors would lift my workmates spirits and mine as well. Did it ever!

First, as soon as she came in, the Executive Director said she liked my dress and that the bright "colors (were) great!" She followed up by telling me, "You have the best clothes!!" Made my day!

While I was walking to my car at the end of the day, I heard some music I like playing loudly enough to be heard for several blocks. So I started swaying to the music. Apparently, some of the homeless people Portland is so famous for were having an impromptu street party and one of them was playing the stereo in the car he was living in.

I heard him saying something, but didn't realize he was talking to me until he hollered, "Hey, high boots!" (I was wearing my knee-high, jockey-style black boots with a brown cuff). So I turned around, smiled, waved, said "Hello." And unfortunately, he dropped his voice when he said something more. I'm sure it was complimentary because he was wearing a wide, warm, friendly smile!

On my way home I stopped at what was once one of the first enclosed, shopping malls in the US for a couple things. As I went from one store to another, my hat fell off without my realizing it. Fortunately, a young fellow whom I believe is gay told me I had lost my hat. After I thanked him he informed me that I looked "fabulous!" Which made me feel fabulous!

I can't imagine the dress I had originally planned to wear today would have garnered anywhere near the same response, even though it is from Ann Taylor.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Spirou003
Distinguished Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 6:58 pm
Location: Belgium, Charleroi

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Spirou003 »

That makes no problem for me Dave ;)

Your day is indeed a proof that sometimes it's good to just follow your instinct instead of what could be the "logical" choice. And I'm very happy for you that it had happened so good! As you pointed out, it would probably have been a more common day than the one you had if you had wore your black dress. Black is kind of a color that is not noticed in most situations, and by extension that's the same for all dark colors.
I'm learning english, thus when there is any mistake or weird word/sentence, feel free to tell me it!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Dust »

Spirou003 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:17 pm
Black is kind of a color that is not noticed in most situations, and by extension that's the same for all dark colors.
I think that's part why it is so standard at formal events like weddings and funerals (not your event, leave the attention elsewhere), and for men generally.

Men often are not used to or fond of being the center of attention. So we dress to blend in...
User avatar
greenboots
Distinguished Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by greenboots »

The weather today was really cold and wet, with steady and sometimes heavy rain all day. I spent the whole day in black casual Tartanista kilt with 200 denier tights and brown Rieker boots. The kilt gives freedom of movement, but in the rain the tights are warmer that socks with bare knees, and the whole outfit dries quicker than trousers. we needed to go shopping this morning to supply a food parcel, and my wife came with me. In some ways, that was unremarkable. However, My wife, who is not in favour of skirts, and tolerates casual and utility kilts, didn't say anything (though a couple of times she seemed about to!)

Later I did my usual Chicken Dinner deliveries, and later still I did our weekly shop. (We were planning to go together, but had too much to do).

Needless to say, no one said a word.

Is this a sign of thawing on the kilt/skirt front? Only time will tell.
User avatar
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4439
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:55 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Kirbstone »

Good on you, GB, and I'm glad for you that your OH has become tolerant. As you say, dark colours blend and don't attract attention. The City Burghers balked at the proposal to build a vast geodesic dome over Edinburgh and I don't blame 'em., Hence the rain! :P

However, your new Queensferry Bridge is great addition, even just to look at. Now THERE's commanding attention.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
User avatar
greenboots
Distinguished Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by greenboots »

Thanks KS. Another good day yesterday. Following official duties [1] I changed before lunch into the same outfit. After our weekly family Zoom session, we went for a walk and no comment was made.

Honesty compels me to note that my wife has a visual impairment, so it's possible she didn't see clearly what I was wearing. Having sad that, she did seem to look closely a couple of times. Anyway, small steps.

[1] We led our first indoor worship service for six months. More people came than we expected, socially distanced, wearing masks and not permitted to sing. However, they all seemed pleased to be able to meet. We are song it once a month for now as there are some who cannot come and therefore need to see a friendly face at their door on Sunday mornings
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Dust »

greenboots wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:13 pm
We led our first indoor worship service for six months. More people came than we expected, socially distanced, wearing masks and not permitted to sing. However, they all seemed pleased to be able to meet. We are song it once a month for now as there are some who cannot come and therefore need to see a friendly face at their door on Sunday mornings
Glad to hear you are able to meet again, at all. Real, in person human interaction is so important!

Those kinds of restrictions, however, are still draconian and over the top, IMO. Singing is important. "He who sings, prays twice," or something like that. Plus, with masks, you are not really able to see anyone's smiling face, are you? Wasn't it supposed to be masks or social distancing, anyway, not both?
User avatar
greenboots
Distinguished Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by greenboots »

Dust wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:35 am
greenboots wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:13 pm
We led our first indoor worship service for six months. More people came than we expected, socially distanced, wearing masks and not permitted to sing. However, they all seemed pleased to be able to meet. We are song it once a month for now as there are some who cannot come and therefore need to see a friendly face at their door on Sunday mornings
Glad to hear you are able to meet again, at all. Real, in person human interaction is so important!

Those kinds of restrictions, however, are still draconian and over the top, IMO. Singing is important. "He who sings, prays twice," or something like that. Plus, with masks, you are not really able to see anyone's smiling face, are you? Wasn't it supposed to be masks or social distancing, anyway, not both?
There is research going on into the details of singing, as several experts claim that the volume is the the determining factor. Given that in most churches people don't sing very loud, the impact may be small. We live in hope!
Post Reply