Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Modoc »

I won't quote, but I will agree with the consensus that a confident demeanor is key to wearing skirts dresses and anything else that's not traditional where you live.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Last night, celebrating Hogmanay with wife and friends near Lanark, Scotland, UK, I wore a black Utilikilt, black Rainbow* tshirt and 20 denier Matt black sheer tights (which had a 30 denier appearance). Short black socks (up to shoe line only) protected the tights (no shoes, as indoors)

No issues - just an appreciation given for the whole rig.

Happy new year everyone!

* a hard rock band of the 1970s and early 1980s.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Weird for a Scot, but right now, 12.30 UK time 01/01/2024 and in a coffee shop in town.
Attired as follows,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Nice. Let's see more of the skirt, is it low slung or high waisted?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:08 pm Nice. Let's see more of the skirt, is it low slung or high waisted?
High waisted BM, but more skirt = more of my, less than photogenic, gut so you may have to wait for that.
BTW, I also got complimented on my "kilt" and for the record, I did set the lady straight.
Still felt weird, out having coffee on New Years Day, my old man would have disowned me on both counts.
Steve.
Seb

Post by Seb »

@Steve I liked that outfit of yours, looks good.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:13 pm
Barleymower wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:08 pm Nice. Let's see more of the skirt, is it low slung or high waisted?
High waisted BM, but more skirt = more of my, less than photogenic, gut so you may have to wait for that.
BTW, I also got complimented on my "kilt" and for the record, I did set the lady straight.
Still felt weird, out having coffee on New Years Day, my old man would have disowned me on both counts.
Steve.
Three years ago Steve I probably would have stopped my son, teasing if necessary. Yet there I was wishing could try the delights of the other side myself.
Your Dad was not to blame for that at least.

A brave new world🙃
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

I like the outfit Steve, I do like tartan skirts and are partial to a good jumper in the colder weather.

Pairing up a Christmas present jumper with a pencil skirt for work tomorrow.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Out in town today, walking fast, I got a ‘nice dress mate’ from a random bloke walking in the opposite direction. I was well past before I properly realised what he had said but it put a spring in my step.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

So today I decided to bite the bullet. You may remember that I do not have spousal support for skirt wearing, though she did not oppose my attendance at the London meet up in November (or was it December? Lots has happened since.)

So today we were off work to pack for our big holiday. I donned my sole miniskirt and tights with a t-shirt and sweater along with black boots and orange parka and set off for the High Street on the first of several errands for the day - to get some foreign currency at the post office. The cashier was obviously balancing her till and asked me to come back, so I went to Boots the Chemist, and popped into various charity shops, having several conversations. Then back to the post office and home. After coffee and cake, there was another trip to the post office for a batch of letters.

Later in the day, we had a conversation which sent me to Bromley and M&S looking for boots. I had a long conversation with one of the staff as I was trying on various (women’s) samples before making a choice.

All in all a good day with possibly one sideways glance and no comments. I’ll try to post a photo to pics and looks and also some further (private) explanation to Personal Stories.

BTW: we fly out tomorrow and I was planning to pack a kilt but it won’t fit in the case, so I swapped for trousers and I’ll be flying kilted.
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

Spent a happy few beskirted hours strolling around central London on Sunday, mostly browsing and window shopping but also buying one or two things. Had lunch in M&S cafe - all day vegan breakfast, very tasty. This was a first outing for me wearing black opaques (and no socks) which I’d previously seen as a barrier, but as before no problems at all.

I did clock a couple of slightly puzzled up and down glances from middle aged people (says the old crock) but that was about it. The guy in the bike shop, where I treated myself to some new cleats, didn’t show any sign there was owt odd.

It was quite cold but I was warm enough. And a nice surprise was how sunshine warms up black-covered legs!
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

greenboots wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:36 pm So today I decided to bite the bullet. You may remember that I do not have spousal support for skirt wearing, though she did not oppose my attendance at the London meet up in November (or was it December?

BTW: we fly out tomorrow and I was planning to pack a kilt but it won’t fit in the case, so I swapped for trousers and I’ll be flying kilted.
Fantastic
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I drove kilted from Niagara to Montreal. In McDonald's in Grimsby [0] the janitor asked a few sensible questions about wearing a kilt, one person in a washroom asked about the tartan, and several people made favourable comments. Naturally, most just ignored me or didn't even notice.

[0]I was born in Cleethorpes, which is the Victorian seaside town connected to the fishing port of Grimsby. I needed a photo to send to my parents.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Nice outfit Steve, well done.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Seb

Post by Seb »

Today one of my (male) co-workers commented: "I managed to grab a dress of the shelf today, I tried it on but it didn't feel right, however you would look so out of place without one now"

I replied that one has to ones bit to liven up this drab place.

(I work in a hospital, we can choose between two kind of shirts or a dress for the top part of our scrubs, ive been in a dress for over a year)

Same guy that complimented my atire at last years Christmas party(which was tights, tartan wrap skirt and a knitted sweater), but I still see it as a win. :)
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom