Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Layne

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Layne »

jamie001 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:48 pm
Layne wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:48 pm
jamie001 wrote: If women allowed to wear skirts or trousers, then you could have a discrimination lawsuit against the restaurant!

Why have we become such a litigious society? If a private business has rules, policies, etc. that you don’t like or agree with, why not simply do business elsewhere?
There is a reason why lawsuit is the appropriate action in these types of cases. If you just take your business elsewhere, the owner of the establishment that is practicing discrimination doesn’t learn a lesson. They just continue in their bigoted discriminatory ways. On the other hand, if a lawsuit hurts them financially, they will stop the discrimination and hopefully they have learned an important lesson. In addition, these types of lawsuits draw media attention which will also help to shame the establishment that is practicing the discrimination.

Unfortunately, there is really no other way to combat the bigotry. Hit them in the wallet (or purse) where it really hurts and will make a lasting impression.

An example of recent cases involve a male student in Texas being sent home from school for wearing nail polish while girls face no repercussions for wearing nail polish. Other cases involve suspending a male student from school for having long hair and not allowing him to return to school until he gets his hair cut so that it is above the shirt collar. Can you believe that this is really happening in the year 2024? I would think that we are living in 1950. Religious schools are particularly bad in this regard.

The only way to fight is legally and with negative media publicity.
The difference in these cases is that they were discriminated against by an entity of the government - which is in fact against the law. Joe - down the street, running a private business should be entitled to his opinion, just like you or I.

Why does a lesson need to be learned here? I just don’t get it. If I expect others to respect my opinion - I in turn, must respect theirs.
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Out today at the East Somerset Railway. Wore a denim maxi skirt with a split up the right side to just above the knee. Also wore black tights.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

The other day at Walmart, I had a woman walk up to me and say she wished more men would wear kilts! Then she complimented my outfit, and went her way. I was in a Utilikilt and a T-shirt with sandals and a zippered fleece jacket, nothing special really.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Was working on my bicycle today, wearing a utility skirt...found out I needed a new part and didn't want to wait a few days to get it by mail so I drove into town to visit the local bike shop. The saleswoman remembered me from when we bought a bike a few months back and we went into the storage to verify a wheel size on the same model as mine. On the way back she pointed an elbow at my lower half and said "I bet that's perfect for riding a recumbent" and I replied that indeed it was, and I often do. Most of the time if I get a comment or compliment it's when I'm wearing a kilt, so that was nice.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Today we were helping to clear the garage at my parents prior to some repairs being carried out. I was wearing my plain black Tartanista value kilt with white Next t-shirt, grey M&S hoodie and black V-gan boots. Whilst with my sister putting some items in the street for folks to collect, two young girls (10-11?) rode by and one called out “I like your skirt.” My sister and I grinned at each other. I was glad of the natural compliment. Not sure what my sister made of it!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'd say that I'd take your sister's grin as a sign of at least early acceptance. So long as you didn't immediately get a sarcastic crack at the time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

She has seen me in kilts plenty of times before. However, she made no comment at the word “skirt”, so you may be right.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

We took Sunday drive out to visit an indoor flea market and antique place an hour or so away. My wife wore a skirt and I wore a SportKilt hiking kilt (which is practically a skirt). Got compliments from a few different women working in the shops, which was nice. We picked up lunch there and while waiting for our order to be ready we were chatting with this older (than me) guy who was one of those types that always says hi to everyone walking by and was rather gregarious. When I got up from our table and walked to the pick-up window he sad "I didn't realize you were wearing a kilt! He's wearing a kilt! Wow! A kilt" I just looked back and kind of rolled my eyes, and he said "No, that's great, that's cool." Definitely the first time I've had a reaction like that.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I thought that if you can't wear a skirt at a progressive rock concert, then when can you wear one? So I got out a pleated mock-leather black skirt that I've never dared to wear before. Also a cropped T shirt (ditto), though I started the evening with a sweatshirt covering that. No comment at all at the concert. Walking back through the centre of Gloucester after 11 pm I had no negative feedback, and one guy on a bench who complimented my "dress". I waved a thumbs-up at him: I'm never quite sure whether such comments are serious, facetious, or sarcastic, but in this case I think it was serious, as he followed it up with a muttered comment along the lines of "yeah, it's cool" in a slightly surprised tone.

Too busy to take a photo, but I might try to post one when I'm less busy: black pleated skirt, cropped black T shirt, black ex-military boots, black fake leather jacket. Need to work on that equatorial bulge if I'm going to wear cropped tops more often, though!
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:48 pm I thought that if you can't wear a skirt at a progressive rock concert, then when can you wear one? So I got out a pleated mock-leather black skirt that I've never dared to wear before. Also a cropped T shirt (ditto),
We done MB, pushing the boat out a bit further than before. Look forward to the picture.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I recently attended a friend's wedding, dressed in a Mocker style Utilikilt (no cargo pockets), regular men's shirt and tie, vest, plain black long socks cuffed under my knees, and men's wing tip shoes.

This was the second wedding in that family I had attended dressed like that, the prior was several years ago. Folks I met at the earlier wedding that I hadn't seen since remembered and greeted me warmly. I got a number of comments about my "awesome kilts" and more. The closest to a negative comment I got was a greeting of "your slip is showing," a friendly ribbing from someone I know a bit better and had slowly warmed to my kilts some time ago.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Dust wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:42 am The closest to a negative comment I got was a greeting of "your slip is showing," a friendly ribbing from someone I know a bit better and had slowly warmed to my kilts some time ago.
See, the next time I met that person, I'd wear a slip under my skirt (regardless of necessity) and intentionally pull it lower. Memory as what it is, they might not remember their comment from before.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Good on you Coder.