Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Anthony2505

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Anthony2505 »

Hi,

I very new here, and to wearing a skirt in public. I have started to wear one in the morning but getting changed before I get to work. This morning I had a denim mid thigh length skirt on, dark tights and flat boots.

I live in England and am trying to be more daring as the days go past by going to more public places.I enjoy wearing one.

Thanks
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Spent yesterday in a short (above the knee) pleated blue skirt, blue 'hawaiian' shirt, and sandals. (Matching blue toenail polish.)

I get looks from the tourists, but no 'grief', and hardly even looks from the locals.

Chris
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Chris,
The whole point of being a tourist is to see something new, right? Sounds as if you are not disappointing them!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Anthony2505 wrote:Hi,

I very new here, and to wearing a skirt in public. I have started to wear one in the morning but getting changed before I get to work. This morning I had a denim mid thigh length skirt on, dark tights and flat boots.

I live in England and am trying to be more daring as the days go past by going to more public places.I enjoy wearing one.

Thanks
Hello Anthony,
Welcome to the Cafe! There are a few of us here from England. I live in Sheffield. Do you feel like sharing your general location with us?

Denim skirts are always good for building confidence for wearing skirts out and about. Most people seem not to register that you are wearing a skirt at all.

Good luck with your skirt wearing.

Stevie D
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Midas knee length box pleat camo print skirt all day today.
Morning to the supermarket for my weekly shop.
Afternoon visit to wife who is currently in a nursing home and took her out to a cafe for a coffee.
Evening church board meeting and a walk about town afterwards.
No comments whatsoever.
The fact that I now wear a kilt or a skirt almost every day means it is just no longer an issue which is why I don't post here often nowadays, but happy to spend a few minutes on the keyboard if it will help encourage others to get started with skirting in public.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Good for you Alex and thanks for supporting us not so brave guys.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

And it's "our" machine shop
Darn, Bellingham is sooooo far away, I'll just have to leave my 25 blank tokens in the same drawer they've been in for 5 years. :blue: :alien: :blue:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Anthony2505 wrote:Hi,

Thanks
Hi Anthony and welcome to our little piece of the electric interweb thingy.

As you can see from my profile I am in South Buckinghamshire and can frequently be found in the High Wycombe, Maidenhead, Slough area. I'm easy to spot, I'm the 6'3" guy in a skirt or kilt!

Back on topic, I spent the last two days stripping wall paper for a friend (professional painter and Decorator) at the house of one of his customers. My chosen garb was an old t shirt and 15" mini skirt (beige one day, military green the next). The customer came in around lunchtime and, after an initial double take, made no comment about my choice of attire.

I'm just about to go and do the weekly shop (a little late this week). I'm in a tan Utilikilt (Survival model) - the pockets earn their keep for phone, money and keys, and a 2.25" wide, black kilt belt with a chrome buckle. The kilt is worn with long black socks, pushed down to the ankles, black suede shoes and a black polo shirt with a company logo on the left sleeve. I don't expect any reaction from staff or customers at the local Tesco, they've seen it all before.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

This morning, started out in my Armstrong kilt. As the day began to warm up, I switched to a denim skirt, wore that for most of my day, including a few errands. When that got too hot, I swapped that skirt for a black lightweight polyester pleated skirt that comes to just above the knees. Still wearing the last one. Due to it being a day when I figured it might be warm, I didn't wear wool kilt hose (or even cotton or acrylic knee socks), just a pair of black trouser socks that have a hand painted gold swirl design on them. Wore those with a pair of athletic shoes. Socks weren't fully opague, so, once stretched over my legs, they're a little grayish colored, but not fully sheer.

Looks like the days will continue to be warm, so I may finally switch to a denim skirt @ school, instead of the tartan kilts I've been wearing since the beginning of the quarter. Will be interesting to see if anyone notices, or if they continue to be in their own worlds, oblivious to what I'm wearing.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Anthony2505

Post by Anthony2505 »

Hi,

Yes im in Guildford. And it was a pleated black short skirt this morning. First time.
skirtingtherealissue

Post by skirtingtherealissue »

I’ve not posted much at all, but I read regularly. I think, however, that I should post a little more often of my excursions in support of others here and to demonstrate that men in skirts are acceptable, if a little odd. So for a brief potted history of 2009 so far:

In late 2008 I was checking into an hotel in North West England and bumped into my counterpart in another organisation, at which time I was ill prepared to meet a fellow professional on terms other than my own. I met the same chap at a meeting in January (this time in typical business suit) and we had a chat about developments in the profession, but he made no mention of my chosen attire from the hotel lobby :D

10 January regular appointment at my hair salon for root treatment; I have peroxide blonde spiky hair (think Billy Idol/Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), wearing polo shirt, olive coloured above knee length straight skirt, black opaque tights and knee high boots.

Also an evening at a pub for a friend’s birthday drinks. I had been to this pub, skirted, a couple of times previously but this time I was in the dreaded jeans. Whilst I would not say I am well known in the pub several of the regulars asked why I wasn’t wearing a skirt. Maybe I’m more well known than I think :alien:

12 to 15 January working away in Sheffield and stayed at the Hilton. Arrived wearing a below knee pleated denim skirt, polo shirt, knee high black boots. Meals taken in the hotel restaurant wearing various skirts mostly circa 14 inch denim in blue or gray, with opaque tights, polo shirts and the same boots. Reactions? Possibly a raised eyebrow or two, no adverse comments and (alas) no compliments.

20 to 23 January working away in Coventry and stayed at the Hilton. Arrived in a normal business suit (having attended the meeting to which I referred above) and changed into a knee length olive straight skirt, polo shirt and knee high boots before going to dinner in the hotel restaurant. Whilst there were no overt reactions, I noticed considerably better service than I would normally expect. Curiosity on the part of the waiting staff I suspect :?

During the month there were several visits to my local supermarkets; Sainsbury and Tesco, two local farm shops, and a hand carwash, all of which are undertaken skirted. Also regularly invited to my neighbours’ for drinks with their friends.

9 and 10 February working away in Cambridge and stayed at the DeVere. As I was in a business suit for most of this stay, I only wore a skirt to dinner on one evening, 14 inch denim skirt, with polo shirt and boots.

15 to 22 February a week’s holiday, skiing. Far too cold to wear a skirt out and about; this was Sweden and circa -20C most mornings. However, when indoors a couple of skirts worn to evening meals coupled with polo shirts. I had met another family at the airport and we to hooked up most evenings as our children were similar ages. The mother made a comment that my attire was unusual, but no actual judgement and we had a pleasant week.

24 to 27 February working away in Cheshire. Arrived to the hotel wearing polo shirt, 14 inch denim skirt, tights and boots (I think I need help with my style here :? ). Dinner in the restaurant, always wearing a skirt coupled with a variety of more formal shirts and boots.

28 February another visit to my hair salon, skirted as usual. Also, more visits to supermarkets and farm shops, etc.

1 to 4 March working away in Exeter. Travelled down on Sunday and visited friends in Cardiff; this was the first time they had seen me skirted and commented that the olive above knee skirt and boots worked well. Continued to Exeter where I checked in and went to the bar for a drink. Reception was fine, the barmaid did a double take as I walked into the bar area (the wooden floor echoed underfoot) and there were only two locals in the bar who were clearly friends of the barmaid. No comments, just polite service. Each evening I dined in the restaurant; first evening I was wearing a normal business shirt and cufflinks, with a black high waisted pencil skirt which came to just above the knee and knee high boots. Waiting staff obviously hadn’t encountered too many men in skirts, but no comments and nothing but good polite service. Second night I dined in a different black skirt with a shirt. Again, no comments. Breakfast the following morning in the same pencil skirt from the first evening, then a 4 hour drive home, including a fuel stop. A little light banter with a female motorist as we were trying to get to pumps on the correct side of our respective cars.

A few further excursions in March to various supermarkets, but most of the rest of the time in my main office, so travelling by train into London gave few opportunities to get out skirted.

End of March working away in Stoke on Trent. Arrived at the hotel in 14 inch grey denim skirt, polo shirt and boots. Took room service this time.

April and Easter away to see family, so no opportunity. I am fairly certain that my family would have no problem with my sartorial choices; however, as they were all brought up before WWII I’d rather not rock the boat too much.

After the Easter break, I had a regular hospital check-up. This was the first time I had ventured to the hospital wearing a skirt and there was an unusually long wait. Normally I arrive, go in, and leave within 15 minutes of arrival; this time I was there for an hour. The waiting area became fairly busy but there were still chairs; however, I noticed that a pregnant woman with two young children had arrived and there were not enough seats that she could get to, so I offered my seat. She seemed a little flustered, but her husband told her she should sit down and politely accept the offer of a seat. This stirred the rest of the waiting area to move around a bit to give more room for everyone (there were several chairs used for bags, etc., whilst some people were standing). Someone even offered me their seat which was very funny as the woman was at least 20 years older than me – I politely declined :lol:

That afternoon I also took the car for two new tyres. No comment at the garage other from the tyre fitter who said he wouldn’t shake hands as his were covered in grease/dirt, etc.

Again a few further shopping excursions and a visit to the hair salon, but nothing special.

May, working away in Leicester for two days. Travelled up in denim skirt, polo shirt, etc. On checking in no comments even though it was very busy. I had stayed at this hotel 18 months earlier and had had a poor experience (nothing to do with me in a skirt) and mentioned this to the receptionist. This prompted a room upgrade; they had details in their records of my previous stay!

Also working away in Glasgow. Checked into the Crowne Plaza wearing olive above knee skirt, polo shirt and boots. Unfortunately, I had had a curry during the preceding bank holiday weekend and suffered from a bad prawn (suffered food poisoning and was unable to complete my work - note to all, make sure you cook prawns thoroughly). Anyway, when I was well enough to travel I checked out wearing a polo shirt, 14 inch skirt and boots (I think this was the first time I wished I had packed some jeans).

Yesterday I went to the village post office wearing a 13 inch denim skirt, polo shirt and sports sandals. This was a first as, although I am regularly out in the village in a skirt, it is usually just to and from neighbours or into the park. This time I walked very slightly further, but no reactions.

Then today I went to a carpet store (big chain) to order a new carpet for a bedroom, the staircase and landing. This time wearing 14 inch denim skirt, red polo shirt, and sports sandals. Also into Sainsbury and then the local farm shop. So far today, no reactions.

And for those who are still unsure, may I quote from Dr Martin Luther King Jnr. “Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” I know that his words were for a far more meaningful cause, but I think we can use them, too :wink:
Ash

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Dr Martin Luther King Jnr.
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Thanks for your long diary skirtingtherealissue . Interesting reading. I assume you must be quit slim guy, to wear 13 inch skirt so boldly. :D
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

An astonishing diary! I have trouble remembering what I wore yesterday let alone several months ago.

However I will say that the reaction (or lack thereof) is typical of what I have had over the last few years. In truth few people even seem to notice what I wear and even less react. All I would ask of those who feel too bashful to wear a skirt in public is "try it - you will be surprised by the lack of reaction from strangers".

Have fun,

Ian.
Last edited by Milfmog on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I agree with Ian, I remember laughingly prior to 2005 when I was furtive about going outside skirted, only at night and in the woods or garage. If I saw a person in the woods I'd dive into a pile of leaves to hide. LOL.. For the last 4 years tho, I've gotten completely at ease with it, now, it's just a different choice in clothes for today. This is skirts I'm talking about. I was OK with sarongs outside since 1982 as they were accepted where I lived as menswear, but an actual skirt was not, (Or so I thought) they probably were no different except in my mind.

I used to do crazy things to see if anyone was looking at me sideways. Like lean against a tree and look at them under my arm..LOL Nowadays, I get upset if I have to wear trousers for some reason and no one asks why...How things DO change. :alien: :hide: :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirtingtherealissue

Post by skirtingtherealissue »

Mipi wrote:I assume you must be quit slim guy, to wear 13 inch skirt so boldly. :D
I am lucky enough to fit into a UK size 10 denim type non-fitted skirt or a UK size 12 fitted (pencil type) skirt, being about 70kg and 175cm tall. I try to work by the rule that a skirt shouldn't be shorter that it is wide and I just about get away with 13 inches. I'm also lucky enough (imho) to have fairly good (toned and shapely) legs.
Milfmog wrote:I have trouble remembering what I wore yesterday let alone several months ago.
Having a somewhat limited choice of skirts that I wear regularly, principally as I am still trying to coordinate skirts with shirts and shoes for my own style, helps me remember what I've worn. There are some default choices, which makes things easy and I can remember any departures from those defaults. I have more skirts than trousers, but no doubt have the similar problems other members of the Cafe have in trying to coordinate their skirted "rigs".
Since1982 wrote:If I saw a person in the woods I'd dive into a pile of leaves to hide.
I suppose if you lived in Hawaii, you could have stood next to a pile of grass and blended wearing a grass skirt :lol:

Today I am working from home, so I am wearing the olive green straight skirt, grey striped polo shirt, and sports sandals. I have just ventured along the road to the cricket pavilion, which is serving as the local polling station. It was very quiet, but a couple of other voters came in as I was leaving and they clearly gave me the once over, but no comments!

Ash
Ash

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Dr Martin Luther King Jnr.