Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Pleats

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Pleats »

Once a week I go to the same restaurant for lunch. I sit in the bar area. The same young lady runs the bar during the week. Last summer I would wear a short skirt one week then a kilt (tartan or utility type) the next. The server would comment on my kilts but never the skirts. I figured she was doing some psychology providing positive comments on the kilts only. Maybe trying to get me to stop wearing the skirt. As weather turned colder I wore only wool kilts. I attempted to get her to say something about the skirts when I made a comment that it was getting too cold for the short skirts. She would not take the bate. She just smiled and walked away.

In a couple months it will start to warm up around here so I will resume the skirts. I prefer to have bare legs in the skirts. However, when the temperature gets in the low 20's(F) ( -5C) I have worn thicker tights under the wool kilt with knee high boots. In the last week I have received several positive comments from men and women on the boots and tights with the kilt. The only somewhat negative comment came from a couple of guys I know that wear kilts. I guess in their eyes only kilt hose, such as Lewis kilt hose, should be worn with the kilt. Maybe men's 10" boots but no higher. I guess their frail men's ego can't handle something that came from the other side of the department store.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:55 pm
Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:29 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:44 am Do people comment on the kilt cause it is for men but not the skirt cause it’s presence raises issues of transitioning?
Even though it’s not my personal experience, I think tartan kilts may be noticed more, and thus complimented more like a lady wearing a fancy dress versus something more mundane that doesn’t inspire as many glances.
I think this is exactly it. The kilt really stands out and it's a "costume" of sorts, it invites notice/comments.

What I usually wear is mundane, just swapping a rather forgettable skirt for shorts and keeping everything else the same. I don't think "transitioning" really enters the equation given the rest of my "outfit" is nothing unusual.
Though men should be allowed to wear whatever they please (within modesty guidelines of course), you make an excellent point. What has been labeled, and are “drab and boring” skirts, they do serve an introductory purpose. Especially for those new to skirting like myself. Though the mental Rolodex may consider all reasons for a man wearing a skirt, your simple substitution of a skirt for shorts in an otherwise masculine look confirms your just wearing a skirt to wear a skirt. No need to categorize otherwise.

Which in our current world, a man who just wants to wear a skirt as a man, is a novel concept.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

ScotL wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:52 am
Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:29 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:44 am

This makes me wonder. I wore a kilt (definitely a kilt, ancient Ferguson) to my local grocery store and drug store and got three glowingly positive comments in under an hour. I wore a kilt like skirt (technically a kilt but is linen and looks more skirt like, google linen kilt and you’ll find it) on a plane in two busy airports and got nothing either. All told at least four hours in public.

Do people comment on the kilt cause it is for men but not the skirt cause it’s presence raises issues of transitioning?
I think traditional tartan kilts stand out as what they are: a kilt, which is a known men’s garment. I own both utility and tartan kilts, but primarily wear StumpTown utility kilts. I don’t get a ton of comments for either style, but get more for the utility kilts probably just because I’ve worn them a lot more. Personally, I feel more self conscious when wearing tartan kilts with a sporran and kilt hose, etc. You definitely stand out, almost like you’re wearing a costume. People expect that you’re going to or have been to some Celtic event. STKs, while discernible to a knowledge eye as a kilt, could be mistaken as a skirt, which is perhaps why I like them. I’ve gotten most of my kilt complements while wearing them. One lady did say she liked my skirt. The take home message? Even though it’s not my personal experience, I think tartan kilts may be noticed more, and thus complimented more like a lady wearing a fancy dress versus something more mundane that doesn’t inspire as many glances.
That’s an interesting and excellent point. Tartans kilts are akin to wearing a tux of sorts. So people notice. Whereas solid colored kilts or more plain skirts are just clothing. I mean in general, I am rarely complimented on my clothing outside of my colorful ties.

I’m sure it’s a little of both but you bring an interesting perspective. Thank you for that
Yes, wearing a tartan kilt, even in Scotland from what I’ve been led to believe, is usually associated with a formal or special event. It is like wearing a suit or tux if paired with a Prince Charlie coat. Personally, I have worn them primarily as dress wear for a special event or date night. I’m not a fan of sporrans, preferring to have functional pockets instead which are abundant in utility kilts. Sport Kilt offers hybrids with the option of adding slash front pockets. I love their hiking kilts which provide the tartan look and are super comfortable for everyday wear.
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

A couple of weeks ago I went on what I would consider to be my biggest trip in a skirt, consisting of:
- Train journey down to Birmingham.
- Various tube journey's round London.
- A meal out.
- A concert in the evening

All went well, outfit I wore is a black tennis mini skirt(outfit 2 on my pics & looks thread (viewtopic.php?f=69&t=17425&p=245619#p245619)), other than having to keep pulling my tights up, it worked well. no comments and can't say that anyone took notice of me. Felt just like any concert.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Kieran wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:25 pm A couple of weeks ago I went on what I would consider to be my biggest trip in a skirt, consisting of:
- Train journey down to Birmingham.
- Various tube journey's round London.
- A meal out.
- A concert in the evening

All went well, outfit I wore is a black tennis mini skirt(outfit 2 on my pics & looks thread (viewtopic.php?f=69&t=17425&p=245619#p245619)), other than having to keep pulling my tights up, it worked well. no comments and can't say that anyone took notice of me. Felt just like any concert.
That's quite a trip kieran. London is fine and very skirted man friendly.
The outfit looks good. Noone could say there is anything wrong with how you dress.
Maybe add some more colour? Look at Coders looks he likes a bit of colour.
Last edited by Barleymower on Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Kieran wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:25 pm no comments and can't say that anyone took notice of me. Felt just like any concert.
Hi Kieran
Barleymower is right, "quite a trip", and well done from me too.
Good too that you were able to be unaware of any attention, shows you were relaxed.
However, if you were spotted, no harm and better still caused some thought.
The more we are "out and about", the more likely it is that acceptance of MIS will come eventually.
Being furtive and hidden does us no good at all.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

It looks like I have a fan.

When I was at the neighborhood Ace Hardware, a young woman was measuring and cutting bulk wire for an electrical project I am doing. She paused the work and told me. "I really love your outfits every time you come in here."
be-girl-jumper-M_1s.jpg
This jumper (pinafore in British English, I believe) was one I recently picked up as part of an $8 basket at our local charity resale shop, The Princeton Closet. Very comfortable and my wife approves, though she doesn't like me to wear other styles of dresses.

This superficially looks like denim because of the styling and indigo dye, but it's a very stretchy fabric. It has six decent pockets and a tool loop. It is size M, brand Be-Girl. I don't identify as a girl, and the name disturbs me a little bit, but I can handle it as I don't worry much about protecting my masculinity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Jim wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:55 pm When I was at the neighborhood Ace Hardware, a young woman was measuring and cutting bulk wire for an electrical project I am doing. She paused the work and told me. "I really love your outfits every time you come in here."
Those kinds of compliments are the best! 8)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Jim wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:55 pm
This jumper (pinafore in British English, I believe) was one I recently picked up as part of an $8 basket at our local charity resale shop, The Princeton Closet. Very comfortable and my wife approves, though she doesn't like me to wear other styles of dresses.
:?: I have to wonder-is the pinafore outfit more acceptable because it includes a man's shirt?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Jim wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:55 pmThis jumper (pinafore in British English, I believe) was one I recently picked up as ....
To my recollection, a jumper - in British English - is a sweater - in American English.

From "Mr. Google" :arrow: What is a jumper vs sweater?

Sweaters and Jumpers are the same things. Depending on which country you are from, you may use the term, woollen sweater, wool jumper, pullover or jersey – they can all be used when referring to a wool jumper, woollen jumper Australia, knitwear Australia or woollen sweaters.
(Published Nov 4, 2020)

What you've pictured is a Bib Dress(like a Bib Overall). I would like to find a 'Bib Dress'
in my size, that won't break-the-bank in pricing :lol:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Reviewed the Dress Shopping in Perth thread. A "mini pini dress" was linked to. "Pini" seems to be short for pinifor. So...how do you pronounce "pini" in this context?
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Grok wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:30 pm Reviewed the Dress Shopping in Perth thread. A "mini pini dress" was linked to. "Pini" seems to be short for pinifor. So...how do you pronounce "pini" in this context?
Pinnie, to rhyme with mini
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:50 pm To my recollection, a jumper - in British English - is a sweater - in American English.
That's what I understand, also. In American English

jumper 2 of 2 noun (2)
2 : a sleeveless one-piece dress worn usually with a blouse
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jumper
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

rivegauche wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:06 pm
Grok wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:30 pm Reviewed the Dress Shopping in Perth thread. A "mini pini dress" was linked to. "Pini" seems to be short for pinifor. So...how do you pronounce "pini" in this context?
Pinnie, to rhyme with mini
Thank you. Perhaps if a man wanted to avoid the word "dress," he could refer to his garment as a "pini."

Semantics are both tiresome, and a pain.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm:
If you're a dog lover, a "Mini-Pini" could be similar to a "Min-Pin"
which stands for Miniature Pincher.

OH BOY :!: ...... where could this "play on words" lead too :?:

The "Punsters" could have a field day with this ;)

(An old friend used to say, when playing piano at clubs, "OK you drunks, get your minds
out of the gutter and come down to the sewer with the rest of us."

:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)