Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by crfriend »

If you "read" it as friendly at the time, then it likely way.

I'm normally quite "stand-offish", but from acquaintances I accept touch -- and even welcome it. It's part of being human. The touch from other humans was one of the things I found I missed most when the "pandemic lockdown" was imposed. I imagine a lot of others felt the same way. It's a powerful statement, and if one is fortunate it's meant in a warm way.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:45 pm I was going to say the same thing as Fred / Stevie. Very much a double standard.
Possibly. But women are always touching another woman’s clothing so I think that might be ingrained. So when they care about a fashion, they touch. Men don’t touch fabrics. So if a man dies it on a man or woman, it’s not usual.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I definitely would never touch a stranger and don’t want to be touched. In my view there’s no such thing as a friendly touch.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I've had it happen a few times; only once that I recall by a man -- in every case it was a touch only to indicate the garment and not actual contact with me. I've always felt it was just a sign that they were at ease in my presence -- a compliment in a sense, especially as women are so often "on guard" around men. To be so "invited" into their sphere of common behavior told me I was doing something right that the other half of the world considered me human, and decent/safe, enough to be included in their fold.

I was surprised by the chap as men so seldom say boo, but this fellow lightly brushed the skirt (a very full one) while walking past to accompany his comment of "nice skirt". It was a man I've known a long time, and we were at an event, where without the 'touch' I might not have known if the comment was directed to me, or one of the others in skirts where I was conversing.

I do share the feeling of a double-standard as I do not feel at ease in casually touching a woman's garments.

Carl: I note you are just one year shy of this thread celebrating its Silver Anniversary -- have you a sense from it MIS have evolved?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:24 amI've had it happen a few times; only once that I recall by a man -- in every case it was a touch only to indicate the garment and not actual contact with me. I've always felt it was just a sign that they were at ease in my presence -- a compliment in a sense, especially as women are so often "on guard" around men. To be so "invited" into their sphere of common behavior told me I was doing something right that the other half of the world considered me human, and decent/safe, enough to be included in their fold.
I've had that happen a number of times, and it's never been inappropriate. Usually it's been someone reasonably "close in" anyway, but it is a symbol of acceptance that they don't find you threatening -- and sadly that's something guys need to be keenly aware of. Sometimes women are frightened by us -- needlessly in 99.99% of cases, but those corner cases are what gets all the press and attention.
Carl: I note you are just one year shy of this thread celebrating its Silver Anniversary -- have you a sense from it MIS have evolved?
I think we -- as a group -- are evolving slowly, and that's a good thing. We're also more willing to assert our style publicly that we may have been in past years. This shows from Stevie's somewhat "Devil may care" stance, JeffB's work, and the fact that the community still sees newcomers. Even I have grown bolder from the time I first put on a skirt in 2002. The demise of my long-term relationship in 2015 prodded me into a somewhat emboldened state where I began to experiment with shoes (back when somebody made my size), dresses, and more lavish uses of fabrics and colours -- and even a couple of months ago my first experiments with nail varnish (which, astonishingly, banished my age-old habit of biting my nails). I still candidly admit I'm on the learning curve, and I put together a spectacular combination for when I met up with Moonshadow and Elisabetta for lunch this past week -- vivid green dress shirt, a black waistcoat with embossed velvet trim, my black skirt w/purple, green, and orange peacock feathers, purple fishnets, black shoes, and lilac nails. Everything picked everything else.

Of course, whether general society has kept pace, I'm not so confident. After lunch with Moon and wife, I wandered off to my local for a couple of cold ones, and ran into my current "interest" -- who seems less than enthralled with my appearance and would prefer to see me in conventional male drab. :( (Of course I'd like to see her in a nice dress instead of shredded denim, but I'm smart enough to stay away from that. I did, however, challenge her that once she gets the boot off her broken foot and can put nice stuff on again, that I'd challenge her to a runoff, and I'll wear my male corporate rig.)

However, I think I'm going to reprise the peacock feathers again today, mainly for my friends up north and so I can get imagery of it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by crfriend » Sun May 21, 2023 6:50 am

.... vivid green dress shirt, a black waistcoat with embossed velvet trim, my black skirt w/purple, green, and orange peacock feathers, purple fishnets, black shoes, and lilac nails.
OK, the teaser is out there....watching for the fully production! :D
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Next question Carl: What was Moon wearing? Pics would be nice.

And another question: How far did you each have to travel to meet up? I'm told that America is a big place.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:58 amNext question Carl: What was Moon wearing? Pics would be nice.
Ask and ye shall receive.
And another question: How far did you each have to travel to meet up? I'm told that America is a big place.
To crib the lines as they were written on the windows of his car, "Twentieth Anniversary Tour. Lebanon, VA to Lebanon, NH!" Thus they were already in the area. The original plan was for them to take a fairly boring stretch of road from New Hampshire and into my area, but I steered them into going south on I-91 and then east on MA Rt. 2 (aka "The Mohawk Trail") which has some very scenic parts. I tried to put them by a piece of local history, but the plan misfired meaning that they arrived at the lunch spot before I was even dressed.

Once I learned of their next day's destination I looked to see if doing the rest of Rt 2 would be viable, and when I noticed it was, put them through Florida, MA and into North Adams -- at which point is a hairpin turn on the road that opens out onto a positively magnificent view of the valley that stretches south from North Adams. The Berkshires can be truly spectacular.
zjo

Post by zjo »

OK so for the first time ever I went out in a skirt today 😁 Yesterday I found this blue denim skirt that fits my usual style perfectly so I felt really comfortable and confident going out in it. I paired it with white shirt, jacket and shoes and a blue scarf since today isn’t the warmest of days. Overall I think the look was quite sporty. I walked about a kilometer to a local supermarket, did my shopping and walked back. It felt liberating and quite natural so I will definitely keep on this track. Overall the experience was only positive despite meeting and passing a lot of people in a city where you don’t really see men in skirts ☺️
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

zjo wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:21 am OK so for the first time ever I went out in a skirt today 😁 Yesterday I found this blue denim skirt that fits my usual style perfectly so I felt really comfortable and confident going out in it. I paired it with white shirt, jacket and shoes and a blue scarf since today isn’t the warmest of days. Overall I think the look was quite sporty. I walked about a kilometer to a local supermarket, did my shopping and walked back. It felt liberating and quite natural so I will definitely keep on this track. Overall the experience was only positive despite meeting and passing a lot of people in a city where you don’t really see men in skirts ☺️
Good! I hope the positive experience gives you confidence.
(Blue denim is a great universal. I rejected blue denim jeans as a teenager because they felt like a conformist uniform, and haven't worn them since; but I have a blue denim kilt, a blue denim skirt, and even a pair of blue denim women's shorts.)
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Last summer, my wife and I joined a tour hosted by my parents to Austria and then on to Oberammergau to see the Passion Play. The group got on so well that they wanted a reunion, which my mum arranged for this past weekend, which is a UK bank holiday.

We met in Southend-on-Sea, where my parents live. Although they had only seen me in trousers, I decided I would spend as much of the weekend as possible kilted. So I packed my new dark khaki utility kilt[0] along with t-shirts and sweaters. When work on Friday was finished, I put on my Heritage of Scotland tartan kilt, white hose, black shirt with various purple stripes, loaded the car and set off. Three hours of slow traffic later, we arrived in the middle of dinner to a comment, “He’s brought Scotland with him!” After that, we all concentrated on food.

Next day, we had a guided tour of The Salvation Army’s Hadleigh Farm, a fascinating place set up in 1890 with many social programmes that would be considered modern today. We walked through the country park to the Hub, which features the mountain bike track (slightly tamed) from the 2012 London Olympics. I wore my utility kilt, blue Nike t-shirt, rust-coloured hoodie from Next, walking socks and boots. It was very sunny but a bit nippy in the wind. No comments.

Sunday morning for the worship I had to wear official garb with black trousers. These served me well when walking down the pier after lunch in Tomassi’s, as it was extremely windy and there is no way I could have maintained decency! The tartan kilt and striped shirt reappeared for supper at the home of a couple from the tour group.

Monday was crazy golf then lunch at Garon’s golf complex followed by a brief visit to the garrison at Shoeburyness. Again, t-shirt and hoodie over the utility kilt, this time with long hose and an additional jacket. The wind was over 20 mph and there was very little sun ⛅️. The weekend was rounded off with pizza party at my sister’s house from where we headed home.

All this with barely a comment. I think my wife probably wishes I’d wear the kilts a but less. But as her biggest concern is what people will think or say - and it seems they don’t do much of either- there cannot be any serious objections.

Hopefully in the summer (if we get one) I can stretch to sarongs. However, approval and even tolerance of skirts is not likely to be forthcoming.

[0]MOH is “not keen”, usually said with a curled lip to indicate disapproval. However it is clearly menswear and therefore there can only be an objection on the grounds of personal taste and not “legitimacy”, so I ignored the comment.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well.. my wife and I purchased a truck today. We wanted an upgrade from the 2012 Elantra, something I could throw my kayak on, and something that has the capacity to tow a small to midsize camper. My plan is to pay this thing off within a year or two, then purchase a second hand pull behind camper. I've been watching marketplace and have found some nice looking campers for under $15,000.

Anyway, I post this here because we made this purchase in a skirt (of course), and the dealership posted the "congratulations" photo on their facebook page. I was a little iffy about that, because we all know how people can be on social media, but I figured... what the hell.. just pose for the pic... 8)
autoenergy1.jpg
autoenergy2.jpg
It's an older truck, but it's in excellent condition, and only has about 56,000 miles on it. Everything seems to work, including the four wheel drive and the air conditioner. Something I'm not accustomed to! :lol: The car fax indicates its only had one owner and it's spend its whole life in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania requires annual safety AND emissions inspections, so I have to assume this vehicle has been properly cared for. I couldn't find any rust in the body or frame. Everything looks pretty solid.

We didn't trade anything in, I still have Jax (he was worried, but I reassured him... he's my buddy), and our Elantra will be handed down to Amber who needs a reliable ride while she hunts a job.

But yeah, I'll have Jax (my 2002 Kia) until the frame falls out of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Congratulations :!:

You'll have a lot of fun with that truck.
Comes in handy for many different uses :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:25 am Congratulations :!:

You'll have a lot of fun with that truck.
Comes in handy for many different uses :D
Thanks! I think it's going to make us a good one. Considering Liz only puts around 5,000-10,000 miles per year on a vehicle, I imagine we'll have this guy around for a while.

As for the photo, I think it was a good choice for a public car dealership page... The brown skirt looks very masculine and "kilt like" (that is, until the wind blows, then it lifts like a sail! :lol: ), and you'll note I was sporting my American Eagle "SORRY- I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER MY FREEDOM!" tee-shirt. :mrgreen:

Very appropriate I think! :D

Come to think of it, it looks pretty similar to that skirt Brad Pitt wore...

Just remember: I had that skirt long before Brad Pitt wore his... so he copied ME! :wink: :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

You look great moon! Congratulations on the new truck. The only thing missing is some high heel boots that would like great with that skirt.