Makeup

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Makeup

Post by Bri »

So I wear bare minerals, and just recently started. I'm actually getting a lot of positive comments and looks from the opposite sex, which are many more than I thought I would. Some people are in the air about the idea of it, but after a while I actually forget that I'm wearing it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Makeup

Post by crfriend »

You know, if Richard Nixon had worn makeup in that 1960 televised debate, like his upstart competitor did, the world might be a very different place today. I'm not saying it'd be better: only different.

Makeup is nothing new on blokes; viz the imagery of various historical folks like kings and pharoes.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Bri wrote:.... I'm actually getting a lot of positive comments and looks
from the opposite sex, which are many more than I thought
I would. ....
Bri,

Maybe not all is lost :D
I hope that one of the 'young ladies' will appreciate what
you are doing, and become very supportive of your goals.
She may even join you in your skirted outings. :wink:

Best wishes :!:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I hope that one of the 'young ladies' will appreciate what
you are doing, and become very supportive of your goals.
She may even join you in your skirted outings. :wink:
Hear, hear! With luck, good things will come about.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Bri wrote:So I wear bare minerals, and just recently started. ....

:?:

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about, although I suspect this may be due to (a) age difference and (b) the transatlantic language barrier. But this statement of yours made me chuckle - as a geologist, I immediately got this mental image of you festooned (in the manner of baubles on a Christmas tree) with chunks of galena, calcite, barytes, fluorite, etc., dangling from threads all over your body.

It was a nice Thurber-esque moment, but I don't suppose the reality was anything like as captivating.

Heard any barking seals recently?
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Pah! Too harsh on the face. I was thinking of something softer on the Mohs scale...talc? :D
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Ray wrote:Pah! Too harsh on the face. I was thinking of something softer on the Mohs scale...talc? :D
I used to wear coal dust:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/earthwatcher/192170506/
:lol:
Stevie D
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Tell me more about the 'pure minerals' and how to use them on a bloke's face. I have been thinking of trying this route but I wouldn't know where to start and would gladly hear your experiences.

Thanks!

Chris McKesson
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

ON the subject of MEN wearing MAKEUP

Without exception EVERY man, woman or child that has ever been in a show, play, movie or theatrical event WORE makeup. John Wayne wore makeup, Lee Marvin wore makeup, The President and both the wanna-be presidents wear makeup, Obama wants to look less dark, McCain wants to look more dark (with that white hair and white with pink highlights skin, no makeup and he'd disappear). Even Ahhnold wears makeup. Anyone that doesn't know who Ahhnold is, think Terminator or Predator movies. Anyone that uses CHAPSTICK is using makeup and millions use chapstick every day in dry states and countries. People that put that white grease on their noses in the sun are using makeup. It's no BIG thing.
I know, John Wayne and Lee Marvin are problably before some of your times. Even Ernest Borgnine wore makeup while hitting Lee Marvin with a hammer in "Emperor of the North". Now you have to figure out who Ernest Borgnine is. We old guys have different memories than you young guys do. :hooray:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

The brand is called Bare Escentuals that actually makes Bare Minerals and has an (I.d. before the Bare Minerals name.. don't ask me why). It's littrally crushed minerals in a superfine powder form, and of course is hypo-alergenic. Kori who originally introduced it to me has over $600 in the makeup combined as most of what she has came in kits.

I like the powder because it's very easy to apply and very durable throughout the day. It also blends nicely with just about any skin complection (sp?) so you don't have to as they say, worry about those makeup lines (never had to worry about them, but ok). I also have 3 different types of mascara. 2 of them are cheaper big box retailer brands, and the other that's really not at all heavy looking is from "Too Faced" and builds your lash length but doesn't look at all heavy.

The only shades for eyeshadow I have right now are 3 shades of purple (kits) which don't look that bad, but I want wow, More of a choice in what I can wear, so I'm buying kits and shades slowly.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Steve D wrote:
Ray wrote:Pah! Too harsh on the face. I was thinking of something softer on the Mohs scale...talc? :D
I'm right with you Stevie. I come back from the farm every weekend generally covered in bare minerals - in the form of sand, silt, and clay! Cemented with sweat! But a hot shower takes care of that.

BTW, was that the setting for the film Billy Elliot? One of my favorites!

sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Steve D wrote:
A younger Stevie! Yes, that is mineral makeup of a different sort indeed. :lol:
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Sasquatch wrote: BTW, was that the setting for the film Billy Elliot? One of my favorites!
sasq
No - the mining village scenes in Billy Elliot were filmed in a variety of mining village locations in the north-east of England. See here for more details:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/artic ... ture.shtml

The photo in my link is over 100 miles further south at Orgreave Colliery (now long gone) on the east side of Sheffield in south Yorkshire.
Stevie D
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

Bri wrote:The only shades for eyeshadow I have right now are 3 shades of purple (kits) which don't look that bad, but I want wow, More of a choice in what I can wear, so I'm buying kits and shades slowly.
It may interest you guys to know that I heard a statistic the other day on the radio, to the effect that in France, men spend more money on cosmetics than women do. This is borne out by two very good friends of mine who went to Paris, and found that the cosmetics counters there were offering men's makeovers there as well as women's. There was not only foundation and mascara for men, but eye shadow and liner as well. Men over there don't think it makes them any less masculine to wear makeup; they just think it makes them more good-looking.

Cheers,

Inertia
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Men over there don't think it makes them any less masculine to wear makeup; they just think it makes them more good-looking.

I think that make up in it's general term, is inrtended to improve and accentuate your own looks, so if "IT" makes women more sexy or whatever, enhances their looks, it should help make men more handsame, even more sexy.

So then it seems is the answer to makeup for men. If used correctly as goes for everything, it should be for the better of men.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.