Considering The Economic State Of Things

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Considering The Economic State Of Things

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Okay we all know trouble times are a head I'm not going to get into any political debate about it all.

My question is this are skirts cheaper to make then trousers?

If so it could be the new fashion for men considering the economic plight
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Considering The Economic State Of Things

Post by crfriend »

Whilst skirts can be simpler to manufacture than trousers -- and hence consume less labour -- they typically have more fabric. I suspect that an elastic-waist skirt made of cheap cotton would be cheaper to manufacture than, say, a pair of jeans, once one starts ramping up into better fabrics the costs could quickly balloon.

I think that a simple "skirts are cheaper to make" is too broad because of all the ancillary questions that need asking. The above example illustrates the bottom of the scale. What of a highly tailored and fitted silk skirt with a finely-fitted zip closure?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

ziggy_encaoua wrote: My question is this are skirts cheaper to make then trousers?

If so it could be the new fashion for men considering the economic plight
Ziggy----

Each time I'm shopping with my wife, I check prices on both sides
of the aisle. Depending on the 'Brand' and manufacturer, prices
run about the same. For the 'middle-of-the-road' price, trousers
run a bit more than a skirt. Then again, I shop the clearance racks
and find good prices, but not my size. Also, one may want to shop
at a 'thrift' or 'second hand' store. Bargains do exist.

OK-getting back to your question...

Skirts, depending on the style, tend to take less material than
trousers. A knee-length to slightly above the knee skirt, takes
less material and time to make. A calf to floor length skirt takes
more material and time to make.

If the male population will start looking at quality and price instead
of having a particular brand, style or location in mind when they
shop, they may find that skirts are more cost effective. Then it
also depends on what the use of the item is for. If the man is a
construction worker, or industrial worker, skirts really would not
work. If the man is in an office environment skirts/trousers would
equally work. This is just common sense. Trousers were created
to protect the body from exposure to the hazzards of the work
environment. ( I'm keeping one of the English Queens out of this.)

Now, I mentioned the Male population as if they do their own
shopping. In most familys, the wife is the shopper. She makes sure
that her family is properly clothed, fed and protected from the elements.
We may need to address the stero-typical gender of clothes to the
wife and mother of the family.

There is the old saying "If mama ain't happy, then nobodies happy".

By addressing the women of the family to the style change, as they
basically 'run the house', they ( the women ) can and do influence
their husbands in clothing choices. Something to think about!

OK-That's my 2 cents worth. You can spend it or save it--your choice.

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

crfriend wrote:Whilst skirts can be simpler to manufacture than trousers -- and hence consume less labour -- they typically have more fabric. I suspect that an elastic-waist skirt made of cheap cotton would be cheaper to manufacture than, say, a pair of jeans, once one starts ramping up into better fabrics the costs could quickly balloon.

I think that a simple "skirts are cheaper to make" is too broad because of all the ancillary questions that need asking. The above example illustrates the bottom of the scale. What of a highly tailored and fitted silk skirt with a finely-fitted zip closure?
Well I'd of thought producing a skirt out the same fabric as trousers would be cheaper as the design of a skirt is easier to manufacture
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ziggy_encaoua wrote:Well I'd of thought producing a skirt out the same fabric as trousers would be cheaper as the design of a skirt is easier to manufacture
That might work with an elasticised waist and belt-loops. The elastic waist would be size-forgiving, and the belt-loops would allow for a customary male accoutrement.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

In some situations skirts would be cheaper to make than trousers, some not so. Lets consider for instance high fashion leather trousers or skirts, using less material in a below the knee pencil skirt with belt loops, front zipper, and back vent for ease of walking might come out with pretty much the same amount of leather and certainly less sewing than similar trousers with all the seams would have. Yes, I think skirts made with the same kinds of fabric would be less expensive to create, even on a factory level. Of course they'd have to be "outsourced" to foreign countries for the actual creation like 90 or more % of all trousers are.

I think Zig has a good idea tho, perhaps he should delve into the possible business opportunities it might give him. If one could afford to put assembly line skirts for men on the market they just might take off beyond the men's skirts that look like women's skirts the NY fashion designers keep trying to get started without any success. Good Luck Ziggy! :mrgreen:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

For a somemebody who wants to make their clothes a skirt pattern would be a great deal easier then a pattern for trousers
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

It depends.

A simple a-line skirt uses less fabric that trousers. A complicated skirt takes more fabric.

Women's trousers take less fabric than high quality men's dress trousers.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sapphire is right it "Depends"!

For an 'A' line skirt of short hem length (think mini skirt) there is not a great deal of material here.
Extend the hem length and the amount of material goes up proportionately such as a skirt that is
ankle length. Regarding trousers that dreaded word 'Pants'. Womens pants will most always use less
material. The inseam length is shorter for women than men. Women are shorter in height than men
except for some amazon women who require tall sizing. Also womens pants do not normally have
pockets and cuffs and are generally fitted tight around the ankle and have less material in the waist
using a sewing term called darts to enable fitting a waist 6-10 inches smaller than the hips.

Ziggy is also correct that an 'A' line skirt is easier to make than pants. The pattern to make the
skirt is much less complicated than the pattern for the pants. The skirt can be made with one piece
although most are made with two; needing only to allow for a waist fitting with either a zipper or
button placket; can also be made with an elastic band for pull-on. The pants however are made with
4 pieces and have to have enough allowance to close about the waist with again zippers or buttons or
even elastic (pull-on type).Then factor in the pockets; cuffs and belt loops and indeed the amount of
material is more than that needed for a skirt. Skirts with pleats and other detailing may or may not
exceed this but for the sake of this example I am talking about a plain design 'A' line skirt.
A dress is a whole another ball game using even more material than pants.

So it is therefore more economical to buy 2 yards of material rather than 3 yards if that is what the
pattern requires. Good thing the discussion is not about kilts. Then the discussion would be about 5 or
more yards of material to make a cheap kilt and 8 yards for a pricy expensive one. In case you wonder
the bulk of the material is used in the swishy pleats with the elaborate tartan pattern emphasised.

"KILT-ON"
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

sapphire wrote:It depends.

A simple a-line skirt uses less fabric that trousers. A complicated skirt takes more fabric.

Women's trousers take less fabric than high quality men's dress trousers.
I'm screwed I've got cerebral palsy & therefore only have the use of one arm so if it comes too sewing best not to be thinking of me :)
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Ziggy, I've thought some more about your consideration of the looming global recession, and your styles came to mind. I doubt that there is any case to be made for skirts being the poor man's pants in the coming years, but economics can influence fashion trends anyway. Remember how times were when the Punk look evolved during the mid-sevevties and early eighties? We all thought we were deep in crisis - Cold War, bad economies, unemployment, oil shortages, terrorism and terrible violence (Iran, Lebanon, Cambodia, IRA) during that period. I don't know exactly what it was about the times that yielded that evolution, but it would be interesting to observe whether the hard times, terror threats, wars, economic uncertainty, loss of optimism, etc. we're headed for will lead to a new culture emerging, or a revival of the old. If so, how do we get our skirts to the forefront?

Just some half-baked musings. Think I'll play some Ramones or maybe The Clash. (I can already hear the song London Calling in my head.)

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Was never a huge Clash fan but I do like The Ramones but prefer The Dead Boys & The New York Dolls
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Saving money means using what you already have. For many guys here that means wearing out their trousers. Of course it also means getting more mileage from the skirts only worn at home too so use up your pants, men or convert them into skirts.

Hmm, I'm wondering, has anyone here ever used up a skirt? Barring stains, they do last longer than trousers I would think. At least the looser ones probably don't get wear on the back pocket or knees.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Hmm, I'm wondering, has anyone here ever used up a skirt?
Never thought of that. But now that I AM thinking of it, it's a kinda scary thought. Like every skirt ever made by mankind is still floating around somewhere. Kinda like car tires that end up in tire ponds.

Oh by the way, the economic state of things really sucks. I'm sure we can have entire thread of tears to share our woes.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

LOL...I still have skirts I sewed 30 years ago. The last pair of trousers I bought, about 7 years ago were worn out in the knees and crotch within 4 years, and by then I was wearing skirts most of the time. I still own one pair of cut offs and a pair of sweatpants that aren't getting ANY wear at all, since I've been completely skirted for nearly 4 years. The 30 year old skirts are in nearly as good condition as when they were created, just slightly faded, no tears, no stains, no ripped out seams. Just fine. :hooray: :thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/