Aspie Roll Call

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Aspie Roll Call

Post by Bob »

Hi, just wondering... how many of us here are Aspie or otherwise on the autistic spectrum? I know I am...
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Aspie Roll Call

Post by Kris »

A very interesting question, Bob!
When I first heard about AS, I had an "Aha!" moment, and thought that it might very well be an explanation for... me.
Of course when I was growing up, it was a largely unknown idea. Looking at the diagnostic criteria, I don't believe I would have been diagnosed, even if the criteria had existed at that time.
But of course there is a spectrum of AS. I suspect that many socially challenged nerds feel (when they look into it) they belong somewhere on that spectrum, even if not meeting the diagnostic criteria.
While some elements of my AS (if I'm right calling it that) have presented challenges in life (and still do) others have helped me in my education and career.
Kris
(a not-neurotypical socially challenged nerd)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Not me, they didn't have autism in my neighborhood when I was a child. We children all screamed and hollered and busted things, sat in corners and wouldn't talk, but our parents knew what was wrong with us and knew what to do about it. We were probably all autistic but no one knew it. Our parents just took us out to the "woodshed" wherever that was and spanked our problems out of us. Hell, I didn't learn until I was 35 that I should have had my parents arrested. I probably couldn't have done that anyway, I loved them too much.
I do wonder sometimes about all these new problems children now have, like autism, ADD, Bipolar problems...Our parents just assumed their kids were getting spoiled and set about "UNspoiling" them with love and attention. That sure did seem to work. Makes you wonder sometimes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :blue: :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

ADD/HD
WSmac
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

It is not uncommon to me either, although my diagnosis is somewhat vague, I do believe there is something there...... :roll: :?
I have had my own life's problems and there have been questions asked by me if I had some inclining to AS aspergers'disorder, etc or the like. And don't forget, NOBODY is "perfect".

Is the question really more "are men who want to wear skirts all ADHD, AS or whatever in that spectrum? Sometimes I do have those thoughts, but I think that we are a cross section of the public just as any other groups usually are. ......
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Hmm... to me, Aspie is more a personality type than a diagnosis or disorder. Actually, I'm sick and tired of the word "disorder" or "disability" being attached to the words "Asperger" and "autism."

But if that's who I am, it's best to know that. Self-knowledge is important if one wishes to adapt to the external world.
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

Bob, I agree with you that for the great majority of us who have some Aspie traits it is just a personality type, not a disorder or disability. I think that in our modern society too many personality and behavior differences are medicalized and treated as something to be fixed. It seems strange that in a society where kids are taught to respect and value diversity (race, culture, etc), that diversity in this other area is treated as a disorder.

Kris
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

BTW there are degrees of Autism. It has been observed that many academics are low level autistic, This is the "absent minded professor" syndrome. I think I'm slightly that way myself but haven't been tested. I'm probably just MAD! :roll:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Peter v. wrote:Is the question really more "are men who want to wear skirts all ADHD, AS or whatever in that spectrum? Sometimes I do have those thoughts, but I think that we are a cross section of the public just as any other groups usually are. ......
I'd appreciate it if you didn't lump us all in with you. I'm not anything like you, keep your feelings about yourself singular. I, for one am not part of your "we". :blue: :hide:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Not me. I'm just an insecure, ill-humored, cynical, wishy-washy narcicist with few redeeming qualities. Or so I'm told.
sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Since1982 wrote:
Peter v. wrote:Is the question really more "are men who want to wear skirts all ADHD, AS or whatever in that spectrum? Sometimes I do have those thoughts, but I think that we are a cross section of the public just as any other groups usually are. ......
I'd appreciate it if you didn't lump us all in with you. I'm not anything like you, keep your feelings about yourself singular. I, for one am not part of your "we". :blue: :hide:
I am sure you are part of "we" in the sense of being a skirt wearing man, what else? That is what the forum is all about? I am not talking about people with AS or whatever. Nor am I talking about men wishing they were women.
Don't you have that "we" feeling? In that feeling you may exclude for yourself any in your eyes extremes that you don't asociate with.
When I had a job, I had that "we" feeling, even though there were many collegues (see elsewhere) who made my life miserable.
"but I think that we are a cross section of the public just as any other groups usually are. ."
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

SkirtDude wrote:I thought I posted to this one early on but don't seem to see my reply.

I don't have autistic tendencies that I know of but I'm definitely wired a bit differently than most people. I've always been a bit scatterbrained / easily distracted than most people. I will also always struggle with fine motor control issues.

I have learned to compensate in various ways like typing everything that somebody else needs to read, keeping lots of notes and lists on memo pads and gizmos like blackberries etc etc. :alien:
That is very interesting, as I think that many people have such tendencys, and are able to "hide" it for want of a better word, I also keep many notes, etc. Structural chaos. :roll: :wink:
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Bob wrote:Hmm... to me, Aspie is more a personality type than a diagnosis or disorder. Actually, I'm sick and tired of the word "disorder" or "disability" being attached to the words "Asperger" and "autism."

But if that's who I am, it's best to know that. Self-knowledge is important if one wishes to adapt to the external world.
I agree fully, Bob, I don't like the negative effect they bring with them, but that is how those personal properties are named. I try to name them otherwise, like "character traits"
They are things which may impede functioning in the same way as people who do not have that / them. Then they are a "disability" in discussions with other people.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

I believe I'm married to a light aspie. His verbal skills and intelligence keep us laughing and the social stuff comes along by rote well enough. So, any speculation where the skirt stuff comes in? I see it as part collection mania and also because aspies are used to doing their own thing. Social convention will never be as important as logic when deciding men can wear skirts. Wish everybody could be that reasonable! At the same time I think the Asperger's traits make it more difficult for him to wear skirts in public since he wants to fit in but has great difficulty reading body language so wouldn't easily gauge how others react to him in a skirt.