cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Post by moonshadow »

I tell ya what... I've noticed over the last few days, several members seem to have kindled a fire in their belly over their right to wear what they want. Some are outright, and blatantly calling out some idiotic double standards.

Frankly, it's nice to see. Too often I get the impression that we are trying too hard to be "sensitive" and "understanding" to a backward bigoted world that could give a damn about us.

Good for those who are getting a little passion deep down. We're MEN for God's sake NOT little boys! We need to stop asking for permission! Little boys ask for permission, GROWN MEN enjoy their freedoms!
Sinned wrote:We stick two fingers up at society when we go out unconventionally dressed whatever we are wearing and the wimmen can get away with brevity so why not us as long as we remain legal. Some wimmen don't do legal but then as we know they are a special case and can pretty much get away with ANYTHING.
Damn right! And that double standard needs to be CALLED OUT! If women (wimmen) can get away with ANYTHING then men should be allowed the same! It's just that simple! Are we any less free then they?

If we are equals, then by God we need to be treated like equals! No more shaming our bodies just because we are men. If women can wear tops that highlight their boobs then we ought not to worry about a bulge! If women can walk around in shorts and skirts that come up to their butt cheeks then we ought to be allowed the same!

I'd be more than happy to trade a little liberty in covering my nipples (as women are required to by law in many areas) in exchange for more freedom below the waist. At least then things would be fair. It's not like I'm in the habit of walking around topless anyway.

STAND UP guys! No more of this walking around with our tail between our legs pleading for permission to dress ourselves as we please! STOP ASKING! START DOING!

HELL YEAH! :D :bom:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have been castigated because I preach this all of the time. But I have and will not stop preaching against the double standard. Let us all go forth and tell the whole da*m world where to go!! One can not sit idly by and not feel the urge to stand up for our selves.

I had a fantastic time today at the spa talking up equality of the sexes where it concerns clothing and bathrooms. :soapbox: Most of my audience was cheering me along and drowned out the neigh sayers. :cheers:

I was of course skirted and had a pedicure. :lol: By the way if you have never had this done what are you waiting for it is so enjoyable, why should the ladies have all of the fun. One of the managers said she did not know why it was like the way it is. I said because someone said it should be that way, but nobody knows who said it. She was wearing a really nice top and I told her so and that if it came in my size I wanted one she agreed it would have looked good with my black denim skirt. :hooray:

Fred :kiltdance:

"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Right on Fred! :thumright:
Franinskirts wrote: By the way if you have never had this done what are you waiting for it is so enjoyable, why should the ladies have all of the fun.
There's a nail salon in Abingdon, as I walked past it one day, I saw several young men in there having their toes done.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:Right on Fred! :thumright:
Franinskirts wrote: By the way if you have never had this done what are you waiting for it is so enjoyable, why should the ladies have all of the fun.
There's a nail salon in Abingdon, as I walked past it one day, I saw several young men in there having their toes done.
Have you had a pedicure?? After my first one I was pi**ed at myself for not doing it a long time ago. It is fantastic I get the full treatment with massage of the feet and the legs as well as the getting the nails trimmed and polished.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I think we all want fair treatment at the end of the day.

I've always wondered why men can expose their chest while women can't. Either we all can or none of us!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

renesm1 wrote:I think we all want fair treatment at the end of the day.

I've always wondered why men can expose their chest while women can't. Either we all can or none of us!
I strongly agree. The law is actually more equal than most people believe. It's the perception and the behavior that has to change, just like with men and skirts.
US-Topless-Nudity-Laws1.png
(Just a note I disagree with the title of the graphic. This has nothing to do with nudity, just fairness and equality.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm surprised more women don't fight for that right in all fairness.

Of course, as the image illustrates above, most already do have the right, they just are not exercising it for whatever reason, probably for the same reason most men don't wear skirts.... they're skeerd! Maybe they think it would make them look too masculine! :roll:

It makes me wonder how many women would actually be brave enough to wear trousers if it wasn't already the norm! Are they really any more braver than the average man? Or are they just hanging on the coattails of the women of the 40's?
-Andrea
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Maybe women don't go topless since they might not like men gawking at at them. For me as a man I would not care to go topless with my bazooms. The last thing for me as a heterosexual man is to have men gawk at my boobs.

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JohnH wrote:Maybe women don't go topless since they might not like men gawking at at them. For me as a man I would not care to go topless with my bazooms. The last thing for me as a heterosexual man is to have men gawk at my boobs.

John
And yet when we go out in our skirts people gawk at us. Around here I'd say most people would take issue with topless women for the same reason they take issue with men in skirts.... that being a twisted view of religious morality.

Considering Tennessee is one of the prohibited states, I'd say I may be correct on that assumption. Those religious conservative types don't want women going around topless because they believe women are supposed to remain very modest.

Such as it is with men in skirts. They think we're immoral.

It's two sides of the same coin. I guess women are just as guilty of *gasp* "what would the neighbors say?!?", as fraidy cat men!
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Btw... I don't go around topless either, and I don't even have big boobs. I just think women ought to have the right social freedom to choose.

That and I tend to take issue with ANY law struck for religious reasons.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Considering Tennessee is one of the prohibited states, I'd say I may be correct on that assumption. Those religious conservative types don't want women going around topless because they believe women are supposed to remain very modest.
But what of Alabama and Louisiana? I'm rather surprised that there aren't more states painted in "red" in that chart.

Now, just because something is legal doesn't mean that anybody will actually pick up on it. There is no jurisdiction in the USA that I am aware of which prohibits, by law or fiat, the wearing of skirts by men -- yet look at how few guys wear skirts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Legality is quite a different matter to "Societal" pressure.
Sure you can really dare to be different and stay perfectly within the statutes of your given location.
Upsetting the locals can still be a risky business.
Right on your side is poor consolation when bits are broken.
Sad indictment, still there are areas of hope, just tread easy, no matter where you are!
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:But what of Alabama and Louisiana? I'm rather surprised that there aren't more states painted in "red" in that chart.
I made the same observation. It should also be noted that the orange states can be confusing. Such as in the case of Virginia. Although I'm really not sure what the topless female laws are in Virginia, if it's like 99% of the rest of our laws, they are very confusing and ultimately up to local police and judges to decide. We are not a state of "white and black" by any means.... everything is a grey area. Just see our laws on carrying knives. Is it legal or not? Nobody really knows. :roll:

Personally, I don't see how a anti-topless law can stand up to the constitution, as men have the right to go topless in the public square, it seems that to deny women that same right would be a violation of the 14th (equal protection, and due process), and maybe the 1st amendment (freedom of speech?... maybe- no one can deny a topless woman is "sending a message"). In the matter of the 14th, it seems to me the prohibition would stand only if men were also denied the right.

But I suspect the matter of topless women is an issue that runs deep and wide. I'd say most women don't want to go topless for the same reason most men won't wear a skirt... it's a violation of social norms, and nobody, men and women alike wants to be "that person". For instance, you will recall my angst regarding the snafu at work with regard to my wearing skirts off the clock... well while women can and do wear skirts off and on the clock, honestly, I stand zero change of getting into trouble at work for being seen without a shirt on on my own time. Granted, I can't go topless in the store, but that applies to everyone (no shoes, no shirt, no service), but I could certainly stand in the parking lot all day shirtless with no trouble. If a female employee tried that... she'd stand a change of getting the old pink slip I'd say. It is a double standard.

As far as the "green" states in the south go, well personally I think nobody has bothered to legislate law against topless women because I'd say few, if any women have really tried it. I'm sure if enough southern women started a strong trend in some of the more conservative states, the conservative lawmakers would at least TRY to enact laws against it. It would ultimately go the same way as LGBT rights are today. The only difference being, it's accepted practice for businesses to deny service to topless people (men and women) anyway. But can you imagine the uproar when a teenage girl runs at her southern state school track without a shirt on!?!? :shock: It would be national news.

Then there are the loopholes, like putting a piece of tape over the nipple (since that's whats banned).

I personally think that women who desire to go topless, and men who want to wear skirts should encourage each other and advocate one another. In many ways, both groups face the same challenges and social obstacles.

Now is the time too. Red and orange state women who have always wanted to go topless need to get involved and make it happen. It will take the bullseye off of the LGBT community for now, and since generally, women, even feminist women can do no wrong in the social arena... then why not?
-Andrea
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

At one time it was considered immoral to have women to sing publicly in 18th century Rome. George Frideric Handel (Georg Friedrich Händel) wrote the oratorio La Resurrezione with the part of Mary Magdalene initially sung by a woman. The papacy deemed it immoral for a woman to sing publicly so the woman was replaced by a castrato for subsequent performances. Händel was so disgusted with the substitution he left Rome to go to England.

I don't care what era you live; there are always going to be narrow-minded individuals.

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JohnH wrote:At one time it was considered immoral to have women to sing publicly in 18th century Rome. George Frideric Handel (Georg Friedrich Händel) wrote the oratorio La Resurrezione with the part of Mary Magdalene initially sung by a woman. The papacy deemed it immoral for a woman to sing publicly so the woman was replaced by a castrato for subsequent performances. Händel was so disgusted with the substitution he left Rome to go to England.

I don't care what era you live; there are always going to be narrow-minded individuals.

John
I may be wrong about this, someone please correct me if so, but believe I watched on a documentary once that at one time, women weren't allowed to act in plays. In those days when a woman part was required men had to dress up as the female.

Interesting how times change.

In regards to your comment John, nothing changes until enough people stand up and make it so!
-Andrea