cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Re: cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Judah14 wrote:Based on my experience, here in the Philippines most scarves are interchangeable for men and women, and due to an indigenous (non-migrant) Muslim population, I have seen both men and women wear keffiyeh scarves and even non-Muslim women wear headscarves as well.
I find it interesting the differing acceptances between cultures around the world. With regards clothing it is simply a piece of cloth that one wears. As with most things in life it usually ends up with interpretation and expectation based upon what lies between the ears of the person who question's it. As I say on my Web site some where, but I do say a lot on it so not sure where, nature assigns the biological sex, society creates gender, labels and expectations. The latter usually comes with a large dose of hypocrisy and bigotry.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
neiljerram

Post by neiljerram »

JeffB1959 wrote:Thanks for the kind words. If you're a man who wears women's clothes from head to toe in public, you've GOT to have confidence, otherwise, it just won't work.
You know, I think that might be true for women too. Perhaps they're so used to it that they've forgotten, but many women are constantly putting themselves out there on a visual level - in a way that men generally don't - and that takes confidence.

Possibly that's what this whole thing is about: a few of us men having the confidence to put ourselves out there in the way that many women do all the time.
jc.33

Post by jc.33 »

neiljerram wrote:Possibly that's what this whole thing is about: a few of us men having the confidence to put ourselves out there in the way that many women do all the time.
I think you are on to something. With swimsuit season coming soon where I'm at, I can't help but think of the differences in female suits versus men's trunks. Women really put themselves out there I a way that most men wouldn't feel comfortable doing.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

SWM...skirting-while-male...involves testosterone, adrenaline, and the satisfaction of shaking up the presumed order of the world.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

neiljerram wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:Thanks for the kind words. If you're a man who wears women's clothes from head to toe in public, you've GOT to have confidence, otherwise, it just won't work.
You know, I think that might be true for women too. Perhaps they're so used to it that they've forgotten, but many women are constantly putting themselves out there on a visual level - in a way that men generally don't - and that takes confidence.

Possibly that's what this whole thing is about: a few of us men having the confidence to put ourselves out there in the way that many women do all the time.
Hmm, I've never thought of myself as having that much confidence; I get very nervous when dealing with authority figures or new situations but I do wear a long wool overcoat in the winter that is very RED. A color you don't find in men's sizing. I've received numerous compliments on it and a number of people expect to see me wearing it. In fact, I get asked where is my red coat if I'm not wearing it. I've had it for three winters now and the first winter I accessorized it with an assortment of silk scarves from a store owned by a beautiful Vietnamese woman.
I spent way too many years of my life being a boring accountant and I'm happy I broke free.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

dillon wrote:SWM...skirting-while-male...involves testosterone, adrenaline, and the satisfaction of shaking up the presumed order of the world.
Indeed. And it's great fun too!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:SWM...skirting-while-male...involves testosterone, adrenaline, and the satisfaction of shaking up the presumed order of the world.
I like that. It's got a certain ring to it.

Like Skirted in SF, I get nervous when dealing with "authority figures", but that's because the "authority figures" here all tend to be armed to the teeth and all wear armour, but sometimes you have to swallow that because dogs can smell fear. Last year when things here were about as low as they can get, I surprised the daylights out of my aunt when the local ultimados decided to harrass me by "serving" (more like "servicing") me with a restraining-order than my ex- had taken out against me -- for a second time -- in my handling of the situation. And, yes, I was in one of the rigs I tend to wear to work, skirt and all. I was (un-)impressed how the both of them kept their hands atop their sidearms even though I was clearly unarmed, Tin-plated toads. But one manages to remain polite and present his side of the argument well and generally beats the plods at being civil and controlled. Did I mention how much I hate tin-plated demigods? (This includes the "Fashion Police" as well, but they don't tend to carry artillery.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
bobmoore

Post by bobmoore »

Ah friend Friend, I agree completely. Here in the Carolina mountains Johnny law tends to be on the low end of whatever scale you care to use. Three years ago I caught three .40 black talon rounds, two in the stomach and one in the chest while sitting in my recliner in my living room. Stupid, cowardly pigs. We are still dealing with it, physically, emotionally, and legally.
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Good thing they are not as bad as some corrupt police here, as they don't do "hulidap", where they "arrest" you and will only release you when you post bail ransom.
らき☆
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

skirted_in_SF wrote:I do wear a long wool overcoat in the winter that is very RED. A color you don't find in men's sizing. I've received numerous compliments on it and a number of people expect to see me wearing it. In fact, I get asked where is my red coat if I'm not wearing it. I've had it for three winters now and the first winter I accessorized it with an assortment of silk scarves from a store owned by a beautiful Vietnamese woman.
I spent way too many years of my life being a boring accountant and I'm happy I broke free.
My red coat story:

Several years ago I ordered a winter coat. It didn't come and it didn't come, and finally I called the vendor and they told me that the color I had ordered was on back-order. So I asked them what other colors they had, and picked red. This coat appeared in a few days. It was nothing fancy, but it was very red.

We were living in Chicago at the time, and went to visit friends over the Thanksgiving holiday. We decided to return on the Friday after Thanksgiving, and I dropped the rental car off and then had to walk home through Daley Plaza. Chicago does its Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Daley Plaza on the day after Thanksgiving, and it was packed with lots of families with kids.

I sport a full and long grey beard, and the resemblance to Santa is sufficient that I have a lot of Santa stories. What I hadn't realized when I picked the color red was that this really emphasized that aspect of my appearance, especially in Daley Plaza on tree-lighting night. In my wake, as I strolled through the plaza, I could hear many kids "whispering" to their parents that Santa had just walked by. That coat is now pretty much worn out, but it provided me with many interesting encounters with kids through its life.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

jc.33 wrote:
neiljerram wrote:Possibly that's what this whole thing is about: a few of us men having the confidence to put ourselves out there in the way that many women do all the time.
I think you are on to something. With swimsuit season coming soon where I'm at, I can't help but think of the differences in female suits versus men's trunks. Women really put themselves out there I a way that most men wouldn't feel comfortable doing.
When I came over to Canada more than 20 years ago, I was used to wearing swim briefs (speedos) to the pool. Got many looks, and started feeling self conscious and switched to board short which were the "standard" for the area. That didn't last long. Yeuch! May as well go swimming in pyjamas. Having lost or wore out my older briefs, finding ones I liked proved difficult, and at one point bought an athletic cut bikini bottom. When I found a men's brief that fitted, it was hard to tell from the bikini bottom so I continued to wear it occasionally. I found it sad that the baggy short thing had crossed to the UK when I went on return visits. Now I wear what I damn well want when I go to the pool. Nobody says anything, just the occasional double take. The only doubt I have is age is starting to creep up, and I don't want to end up like some of those pictures you see of guys on the beach that have really let themselves go, but continue to wear swimsuits they probably bought ten years and 100 pounds earlier. :shock:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

ps, I've been wearing bikini bottoms for years and in fact don't own a man's swimming costume at all. I honestly think that nobody can really tell the difference. When on holiday I invariably wear thongs, whether they are women's or men's I care not. I am able to get the maximum exposure to the sun and still be decent. In fact for my holiday in Jamaica I have ordered a couple of the following in black and purple, XL of course;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Sexy-Bikin ... borqeR4OTQ.

If I can wear these then a skirt should be a doddle.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Nope. That's a bit too far for my taste. Something more like this.
http://www.metroswimshop.com/product.7190128_Top.htm
Not hugely different to this.
http://www.metroswimshop.com/product.NK_NESS4030.htm
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I get the massage that this resource is not available. As for brevity the essentials are covered so what's the problem. We stick two fingers up at society when we go out unconventionally dressed whatever we are wearing and the wimmen can get away with brevity so why not us as long as we remain legal. Some wimmen don't do legal but then as we know they are a special case and can pretty much get away with ANYTHING.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I go for a one-piece swimsuit that men used to wear in the 1920s/30s. Another thing you can only get in the women's section sadly!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews