cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Re: cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Post by Bamaskirting »

Yes fun! Especially when you can buy 10 for a buck a pop at goodwill.
Garth Evans

Post by Garth Evans »

It's wonderful to hear about the variety of ways men are wearing skirts. My specific preference is for modified and contemporary kilts and kilt-like garments as well as punk, goth or designer skirts for men, sometimes with leggings attached . I wear tops that are edgy, often with hoods. Also boots, Doc Martens and similar styles, but also sandals and clogs. I live in the SF Bay area (south bay/peninsula) and believe the area is quite accepting especially in San Francisco itself. Nevertheless, I'm always cognizant about where I'm going in a skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Garth Evans wrote:It's wonderful to hear about the variety of ways men are wearing skirts. My specific preference is for modified and contemporary kilts and kilt-like garments as well as punk, goth or designer skirts for men, sometimes with leggings attached . I wear tops that are edgy, often with hoods. Also boots, Doc Martens and similar styles, but also sandals and clogs. I live in the SF Bay area (south bay/peninsula) and believe the area is quite accepting especially in San Francisco itself. Nevertheless, I'm always cognizant about where I'm going in a skirt.
That's great!

Post some photos when you're ready, eh?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

best thing is for me is I bought some shoes. black Vans with white sole. I think they'll go with my outfits nicely!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Reading about everyone else's collections made me feel better about mine. I only have one shirt from the women's dept. plus a half-dozen long-sleeved T's and turtlenecks to wear under my sheaths in the Winter (because BusinessWeek convinced me that was going to be THE look this Winter).
And about a dozen skirts and 2 dozen dresses. Not to mention my half-dozen jackets/blazers.
Yeaahh, a few are going to the church rummage sale for lack of use. Most of those I look at as failed experiments in sizing or looking for MY boundaries. (For those who closely follow my posts, in particular my Easter dress.)
It makes more space for the inevitable future acquisitions!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Reading about everyone else's collections made me feel better about mine. I only have one shirt from the women's dept. plus a half-dozen long-sleeved T's and turtlenecks to wear under my sheaths in the Winter (because BusinessWeek convinced me that was going to be THE look this Winter).
And about a dozen skirts and 2 dozen dresses. Not to mention my half-dozen jackets/blazers.
Yeaahh, a few are going to the church rummage sale for lack of use. Most of those I look at as failed experiments in sizing or looking for MY boundaries. (For those who closely follow my posts, in particular my Easter dress.)
Its not the size of the skirt collection, but what you do with it :mrgreen:

I have about 15 pencil skirts, mostly business style, either just above or below-the-knee, one long 31 inch pencil skirt for winter with thick tights, 6 denim skirts, 3 pairs of knee high boots and am looking for some tops and blouses to complete the look. I am also looking for a decent dress in a 12 :wink:
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I've kinda branched out. Got a lot of skirts, some of which I've worn once or twice since purchase. Now fleshing out the dress wardrobe (prefer between lower thigh and mid-knee lengths, with skirts that are full, and either tank or strapless styles), as well as the tube & camisole top wardrobe. I like the back and shoulder support given by a strapless tube top or a strapless dress. Back pain usually goes away within 10-15 minutes of my putting one on.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Reading about everyone else's collections made me feel better about mine. I only have one shirt from the women's dept. plus a half-dozen long-sleeved T's and turtlenecks to wear under my sheaths in the Winter (because BusinessWeek convinced me that was going to be THE look this Winter).
Good for you! It should be mentioned that I only wear women's tops with my skirts, I have sweaters, long sleeved t-shirts and turtlenecks for use in fall and winter, then there's my collection of tank tops, t-shirts and blouses for spring and summer. It's fun to wear stuff like that!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Thank you Jeff.
I've always liked your outfits and the confidence with which you wear them.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Thank you Jeff.
I've always liked your outfits and the confidence with which you wear them.
Thanks for the kind words. If you're a man who wears women's clothes from head to toe in public, you've GOT to have confidence, otherwise, it just won't work.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

JeffB1959 wrote:If you're a man who wears women's clothes from head to toe in public, you've GOT to have confidence, otherwise, it just won't work.
Completly agree although strictly women's clothes due to society labels I think of them simply as clothes. No such labels apply to women's male style clothes! Wearing such clothes head to toe you have got to be confident with yourself but such confidence applies to skirts with masculine tops. If any man in any style of skirt looks unconfident you will draw attention to yourself.

Skirts being addictive I quite agree. To join in with the comments I have around 60 skirts calf length and slightly longer. I do wear tops and cardigans labelled by society as women's wear. I wear scarfs but stick with masculine shoes in the winter and masculine sandals in the summer. I'm a UK size 12 in shoes but also I do not like feminine style shoes on me. I wear skirts, tops and scarfs all the time unless the job in hand makes them in practical but always socially. No intention of having "time out".
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

TheSkirtedMan wrote: Skirts being addictive I quite agree. To join in with the comments I have around 60 skirts calf length and slightly longer. I do wear tops and cardigans labelled by society as women's wear. I wear scarfs but stick with masculine shoes in the winter and masculine sandals in the summer. I'm a UK size 12 in shoes but also I do not like feminine style shoes on me. I wear skirts, tops and scarfs all the time unless the job in hand makes them in practical but always socially. No intention of having "time out".
Are scarves considered "women's" wear by other people? I often wear a keffiyeh scarf and it is very practical in both hot and cold weather.
らき☆
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Judah14 wrote:
TheSkirtedMan wrote: Skirts being addictive I quite agree. To join in with the comments I have around 60 skirts calf length and slightly longer. I do wear tops and cardigans labelled by society as women's wear. I wear scarfs but stick with masculine shoes in the winter and masculine sandals in the summer. I'm a UK size 12 in shoes but also I do not like feminine style shoes on me. I wear skirts, tops and scarfs all the time unless the job in hand makes them in practical but always socially. No intention of having "time out".
Are scarves considered "women's" wear by other people? I often wear a keffiyeh scarf and it is very practical in both hot and cold weather.
I think as a type of head covering, a scarf like the keffiyeh can be used to a masculine effect, but, too, it depends on the style with which a scarf is worn. I could deal with a silk scarf worn in a headband style, a Gypsy style, or even a "dew rag" style, but seriously dislike the effect of women's scarves on men worn about the neck or torso as ornamentation. It's too effeminate for my taste and a bit garish for a man. Aside from head-wear, I think men would do better to stay with knit scarves worn in cool weather. Winter scarves can offer "accessorizing" opportunity without making people wonder why the heck you're wearing a scarf. I don't really even care for the "scarfy" look on women, and find it pointlessly silly and frilly. I just find a spartan sense of ornamentation more becoming on men. Maybe someone will show me differently, perhaps with a different sort of scarf or use with which I am not familiar, but I am having a hard time imagining a look with scarves not worn as head-dress that would look masculine and/or have a point. Perhaps a cowboy-style bandana on the neck? But even that is questionable if you aren't dressed like a cowboy. (Which, considering the legacy of the Village People, may be questionable too. :? ) It's just one of those looks that turns me off, like wide scoop tops or deeply plunging V tops on men; styles meant to accentuate a bust; not something, worn upon a male body, I'd willingly give a second glance.
headscarf1.jpg
headscarf2.jpg
lennykravitz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Judah14 wrote:
TheSkirtedMan wrote:Are scarves considered "women's" wear by other people?
Western style scarves yes although are available for men I agree but for me tend to fall into same category as male style clothing generally - dull, boring, characterless predominately black, grey etc. From my experience very few men wear a scarf more so in winter where majority of women do so all year round. It's a bit like man in a skirt questioned women in trousers not for many in society when man in a Sarong in other countries is OK like Kilt on a Scotsman. They and other names in other cultures all fit the same definition of a skirt.

Scarves from other cultures are looked at differently. At the end of the day a scarf is a scarf be it labelled mens, women's or from a different culture.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

TheSkirtedMan wrote:
Judah14 wrote:
TheSkirtedMan wrote:Are scarves considered "women's" wear by other people?
Western style scarves yes although are available for men I agree but for me tend to fall into same category as male style clothing generally - dull, boring, characterless predominately black, grey etc. From my experience very few men wear a scarf more so in winter where majority of women do so all year round. It's a bit like man in a skirt questioned women in trousers not for many in society when man in a Sarong in other countries is OK like Kilt on a Scotsman. They and other names in other cultures all fit the same definition of a skirt.

Scarves from other cultures are looked at differently. At the end of the day a scarf is a scarf be it labelled mens, women's or from a different culture.
Based on my experience, here in the Philippines most scarves are interchangeable for men and women, and due to an indigenous (non-migrant) Muslim population, I have seen both men and women wear keffiyeh scarves and even non-Muslim women wear headscarves as well.
らき☆