Kilt with high heels

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Kilt with high heels

Post by Since1982 »

Nothing personal Rick, just my opinion, you're welcome to yours and so am I..I thought the rest of your ensemble looked grrrreat! as Tony the Tiger says! :thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

Since1982 wrote:
High Heels are another item of the forbidden for males fashion as skirts are.Males and heels - you have my yes!
You don't have MY yes. I know men have worn skirted garments for the last million years, from animal skins to modern leather skirts, I never saw any kind of high or stiletto heels in any drawings or paintings of men who were wearing skirted garments and wearing extra high heels as a normal street wear accessory. Seems if you were discussing normal heel sandals or even medium heeled boots, like "cowboy boots", we'd all agree with you, but not with 4 inch + heels on any type shoes for men. :blue:
I do not remeber in the near past(while reading fashion history) women wearing ties,baseball hats,certain types of shoes and upper clothing items and for the most part,at least in Europe, it was not normal for a woman to wear trousers till 1940's,but things change not on the base of past experiences.History is not the only foundation for fashion and gender equality,at least for me.
P.S. Look at the shoes of Loius 14 of France not stiletto but close.Remeber , then there were no stilettoes so that is the closest thing and males wore it...not that I use history for justification but since you mentioned it...
http://faculty.ucc.edu/egh-damerow/Louis_XIV.jpg
http://m.blog.hu/to/toriblog/image/huge ... ouis14.jpg
There is nothing worse than double standard!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

King Louis 14th wore heels has high as 5 inches.
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtedViking wrote:P.S. Look at the shoes of Loius 14 of France not stiletto but close.Remeber , then there were no stilettoes so that is the closest thing and males wore it...
If one looks carefully at the footwear in the paintings, it's immediately apparent that they bear no semblance whatsoever to modern women's footwear -- in point of fact they bear more of a semblance to what was available for men during the 1970s (remember those?). The toe box is wide and ample and the heel is wide enough to be stable under most circumstances. Those are not roach-killers nor teeter-totter shoes. Those are functional shoes fit for somebody who occasionally needed to walk from place to place.
SkirtedViking wrote:[...] not that I use history for justification but since you mentioned it...
Well, while we're at it, it should be pointed up that we're dealing with paintings here, not photography, and that "artistic license" may have been used in the portrayal of the Monarch. (Monarchs don't like being portrayed negatively, and photographs have a bad habit of doing so, not that photography existed in Louis XIV's time.)

The costumes are stunning, to be sure, but we're dealing with the "Sun King" here, and each of those two rigs shown likely cost the equivalent of a few hundred serfs' yearly income. There's a reason that France is a republic today, even though it did "dumb down" men's fashion considerably in the process of becoming so. It's also a wig he's wearing -- along with the bow (a nice touch); serfs would have worn theirs either collar-length or a bit longer and tied back, probably with a leather thong rather than anything "flamboyant".

Referencing history for ideas and backgrounds can be rewarding and can yield interesting insights on what goes on today; however, one cannot justify modern behaviours that do not "toe the line" of modernity using history.

SkirtedViking -- I'd like to second Milfmog's request for imagery -- that'll allow us to get a good impression of how your aesthetic works, and how you put outfits together. Recall that context counts, and one can only get a limited glimpse of that from textual hints. I suppose cribbing Tim Gunn's classic line from Project Runway, "make it work" might be apropo.
Last edited by crfriend on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repaired errant BBcode tagging.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

JohnH wrote:King Louis 14th wore heels has high as 5 inches.
The poor little lad had a serious inferiority complex and spent his reign proving to the world that he was bigger and stronger than anyone else.
Normal men like ourselves need no ego-boosters of this kind. Nor do we need to ruin our feet and condemn oursleves to constant pain in later life.

Shoes, like mugs, should be chosen for the comfort they provide.

Martin (in flat sandals most of the year)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Well Rick, I can't say I like the idea of teaming a kilt with stilettos, but I have to confess that it does not jar the eye anything like as much as I expected it to. Having said that, I would not choose that style of footwear even for a charity walk, but that is because I value my feet and spend far too much time on them to risk an injury.

I salute you for having the sheer cajones necessary to wear the outfit and for sharing the image with us (even with a fuzzy face). Good on you!

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

crfriend wrote:
SkirtedViking wrote: SkirtedViking -- I'd like to second Milfmog's request for imagery -- that'll allow us to get a good impression of how your aesthetic works, and how you put outfits together. Recall that context counts, and one can only get a limited glimpse of that from textual hints. I suppose cribbing Tim Gunn's classic line from Project Runway, "make it work" might be apropo.
As I said I am considering posting photos.Expect nothing from the present male wardrobe and combined with my male body - animate objects can be masculine,not inanimate.So if I say masculine body it would be correct, but masculine shoes or skirt,or chair won't.
I see that I have touched the sensitive and complex spot that most males have acquired these days - am I masculine enough...People I do not have masculinity complex, it is not necessary to enhance the fact that I am male by sharing a narrow-minded philospophy and views about men's appearance.Look at women, they progressed the last 70 years just because have all the Male rights(no clothing,shoe,accessorie,hobby and etc. is forbidden to them - do not argue I see it everyday on the street, I live in Eastern Europe), and we are just not evolving (males).And do not give me the CD cr*p motive,I would never wear anything fake,change my name,voice,behaviour...
There is nothing worse than double standard!
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

Everyone should also keep in mind that high-heels were one of two, basically female items. The other being the bra, that were basically designed for women.
I know that some examples of high heels can be found through out history. But the wearing of them really began in Italy near the end of the Middleages and the start of the Renaissance Age. And it was women, first who bagan wearing them. Especially to the extreme heights. Louis' heels were always more modest in height.
But the now classic, spike heeled pump was strictly a woman's domain until the Rocky Horror Picture Show came along.
But now????????????????????????
Who knows what's right or wrong anymore? Does anyone really care?
From one point of view, women being smaller then men, try to look taller and try to look at us eye to eye.
I never notice this myself until I see pictures of myself with my wife and daughters. Even my six foot tall granddaughters are short next to me. And they like to wear heels and be as tall as possible.
So maybe that's the real reason behind heels after all.

But as I said earlier, who cares anymore? If it feels good to you and doesn't harm anyone else, why not go for it!

Dennis A. Lederle

:)

p.s. How did the event turn out?
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Dennis said: Who knows what's right or wrong anymore? Does anyone really care?
We should care, the less we care about each other, the closer we come to a total apocalypse of feelings. :blue:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Look, the whole idea was took look a bit silly for a good cause. Pairing high heels with a kilt was not my first choice. I wanted to wear a short denim skirt but my wife wouldn't hear of it. The kilt or pants was my only alternative. There were only 2 of us out of about 100 guys skirted but I felt comfortable with it and I'd do it again.
100_1368C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rick401r wrote:Look, the whole idea was took look a bit silly for a good cause.
And that, dear reader, is what it's all about!

With the option of a denim mini off the table, what other choice was there? And the gentleman still has a bit of a swagger about him, so back off -- it was for the cause.
There were only 2 of us out of about 100 guys skirted but I felt comfortable with it and I'd do it again.
Two out of 100 -- that's better odds than one has in seeing a bloke in anything without inseams in general circulation. Kudos to both!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

Good for you, Rick!
Liked your pic!
An INTERESTING look to say the least!
Sounds like you had fun and that is something we all need more of.
Remember: "The natural state of man (mankind) is JOY!"

Dennis A. Lederle
:D
p.s.
How far did you walk in your heels? Did the wife go with you?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Kilt looks great, of course, but how did you manage to get hold of a pair of very high gold pumps in your foot size? They must have been serious agony to walk a mile in ! Great legs, I might add!
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Kirbstone wrote:Kilt looks great, of course, but how did you manage to get hold of a pair of very high gold pumps in your foot size? They must have been serious agony to walk a mile in ! Great legs, I might add!
I found the shoes on ebay, size 13! They weren't too bad to walk in. I practiced walking around the neighborhood (after dark) for 2 weeks.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

2 out of 100 had the gonads to pair the heals with a skirt in public.

I wonder how many others wished that they could have done the same but fear kept them from doing so.

PatJ