Browne: skirt suits for men

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Juan

Browne: skirt suits for men

Post by Juan »

Not that I like these that much, but I'd have no problem wearing them. I don't like the tight "hobble skirt" looks nor that particular length. I'd go for an ankle-length, more ample "evasée" skirt. Let's not even talk about the white shoes! (Well, I guess some of you might love that combination) What I find noteworthy is that Thom Browne, the relatively traditional New York-based menswear company, has included skirted suits for men in their collections. Maybe things are slowly starting to change after all.
thom-browne-skirt.JPG
thom-browne-men-skirt-suit-street.jpg
Their website includes videos, in which you'll come across several unconventional men suits and tuxedoes: the jackets (some short-sleeved) paired with shorts (yes, shorts!), shin-length trousers, handsome capes, and some weird, torn, unidentified garments: http://www.thombrowne.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Browne: skirt suits for men

Post by Since1982 »

Those suits look good for an office worker to wear. An excellent step forward for the clothing purveyor.:D
None of those shown are "hobble skirts". They are just straight skirts with a walking slit or pleat in the rear for ease of walking. A true "hobble skirt" has no more than a 6" step possibility. It's either skin tight from waist to hem or is looser and has a strap around the knees with a buckle that is part of the skirt. This type allows for a 10 inch step. Still not even close to a strong walking step. This is a true hobble skirt in this youtube video. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16w57navUU8
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Juan

Post by Juan »

Yes. I know it IS not a hobble skirt (and certainly not as extreme as that of the video! :lol: although I'd love to try Morticia Addam's dress for Halloween, at least once, just for fun!) All I was saying is that the "looks" remind me of one. I suppose that the rear slit allow you to walk with a regular stride. It is indeed, as you point out, another "step forward".
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

It is a step forward but the jacket can be a bit shorter and tailored - and the shoes it could look better with heels - let's leave these type of shoes on the picture for the sportsmen and tomboy women.
P.S. Women wear all type of masculine type of clothes, shoes and etc. where are the macho men to put them in their "right" place?People should stop applying the double standard based on gender - here is a nice example of women's shoes - http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/ca ... bleOptions
P.S. I am not picking on anyone - giving the contrast is aimed to clarify the double standard towards males, based on the macho philosophy.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
flarob

Post by flarob »

That is a good office look. As someone already said - the shoes need changed, but the skirt suit will look good and way more comfy than trowsers.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Someone always quotes what the "women" can do and wear. But they overlook the fact that women are 68 years ahead of men in androgeny. They were wearing trousers in the war material factories during World War 2 for safety's sake. I'd guess that 60 years in the future, men will have everything they wish to wear as a daily choice just as women do today. HOPEFULLY, it will come to pass sooner. In the 1930's women were ARRESTED for wearing men's trousers. They had to wear trousers that were different, like Capri pants or "Pedal Pushers" which were originally created to ride bicycles with. Only a few men have actually been arrested for wearing a skirt, and have been released immediately upon reaching a Judge.

Women arrested for wearing men's trousers went to jail by Judge's orders in the early years.

We MUST be patient, it WILL happen, hopefully I will live to see it, although I have grave doubts of that. Remember we have something women never had, a precedent... WE have THEIR experience to draw from. All I do know from experience is, the faster we try to push what we want down naysayer's throats, the more they are going to fight us. I think it's better for us to just sort of "be there" without pushing other folks to accept what they don't want. We ignore them, sooner or later they'll start ignoring us...which is exactly what we want, no?
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

I agree with you Skip. I also read a lot of clothing history, they are ahead of us and that is why the fight must go on.And my compliments to women for fighting for their rights!
davemcwish

Post by davemcwish »

I like this idea and hope it catches on.

I've just bought this skirt to go with this suit.

I'm taking it on holiday in September - I'll let you know how I get on.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

Dave, maybe my eyes need replacing, but what is that dip in the front of that skirt or am I seeing it wrong? Also, what are those wormy looking things growing on the right bottom edge of that suit coat? I could understand a dip of sorts in the back of a pencil skirt that tight, but in the front just looks odd to me. That skirt is lots tighter than the ones in the original post that were referred to as being "like" hobble skirts. At least it looks that way to me. Prolly my eye is crossed. :cyclops:

Juan

Post by Juan »

That should look great, Davemcwish! Tell us how did it go!
Juan
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

Dave, the suit seem to work,though I like shorter tailored jackets and what is your choice for shoes,top/shirt/blouse and other accessories?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Interesting combination, for those of us 'slender enough' to pull it off. :)
When the 'Mack Truck' size is on the market, I might consider the look. :D
I would prefer a 'shorter length' jacket as this would lend itself towards
a formal kilt outfit, but without the kilt. :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
davemcwish

Post by davemcwish »

Juan wrote:That should look great, Davemcwish! Tell us how did it go!
Juan
It's going with me on my hols in September *this* year. As I'll be away for 2.5 weeks you need to wait until the beginning of October - have patience my friend.
Since1982 wrote:Dave, maybe my eyes need replacing, but what is that dip in the front of that skirt or am I seeing it wrong?
Nope it *is* a dip as the original material is turned up and stitched at the join near the model's left hand.
Since1982 wrote:Also, what are those wormy looking things growing on the right bottom edge of that suit coat?
If you're referring to what's in the model's right hand is a handbag/purse - it's just a normal (ok fitted women's) suit jacket.
Since1982 wrote:I could understand a dip of sorts in the back of a pencil skirt that tight, but in the front just looks odd to me. That skirt is lots tighter than the ones in the original post that were referred to as being "like" hobble skirts. At least it looks that way to me. Prolly my eye is crossed. :cyclops:
It does look odd and it is fitted (need to hide the 'boys') but

a) it's a bit different
b) it looks like a pencil skirt but wearing it there is quite a bit of movement (not obviously as much as say an A line skirt but plenty enough for me
c) it fits as I'm very lucky to have a slim figure - size 12 skirt (14 would need a belt and there aren't any loops so needed to get exact fit). Jacket is a 16 as being very fitted I need a size up from normal. (bought the jacket and pants in a store so knew the sizing)
d) the SWMBO thinks it's OK
SkirtedViking wrote:Dave, the suit seem to work,though I like shorter tailored jackets and what is your choice for shoes,top/shirt/blouse and other accessories?
One idea is a black roll neck sweater with black hosiery (haven't got the legs to go bare - lots of freckles I'm afraid)
May just go with a plain white man's shirt.

As for footwear I've not even thought about it.

I only got the trousers/pants in case there's 'problems'...

Any advise though would be welcome - however don't want anything too femme like this for example:-

Haven't got the face
Last edited by davemcwish on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

wow dave! you look great in that white shirt and black leather skirt.

i think the suit should work fine!
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

actually, with all organic bovine fertilizer aside...

the suits in the first posting look pretty good. not great, and i'm not gonna try to say what could improve them, but pretty good.

i'd consider wearing one for the appropriate situation. i'm SURE it would be noticed/talked about/joked over, and i wouldn't get the job, but they look good nonetheless.

dave's choices for putting together a skirt suit look nice too. i'd love to see what they look like as an outfit. very much looking forward to seeing the pictures.

i've worn a skirt suit to work a few times. i'm NOT the suit type, so i probably didn't present it as best it could be. however, it IS notoriously hard to ruin the looks of a simple black double-breasted suit over a turtleneck.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC