Considering The Economic State Of Things

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Considering The Economic State Of Things

Post by Grok »

I was pondering a thread of the kilts4all forum, "Modernising MUGs of other cultures." (The author, Mr. McFeck, suggested adding velcro to sarongs). The Sewing section of this web site includes threads about converting into skirts jeans, shirts, and even ties.

I'm starting to wonder if improvision might become a tradition. People responding to hard times with alterations, conversions or rebuilds. Summer weather might make skirted garments a viable future for old jeans, shirts, etc.
Last edited by Grok on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smaug777

Post by Smaug777 »

r.m.anderson wrote:A dress is a whole another ball game using even more material than pants.
But when wearing a dress you don't need a shirt or pants, if its a shirt dress.
Sasquatch wrote:Think I'll play some Ramones or maybe The Clash.
I like The Cure and The B52s also
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Skirt Chaser wrote, has anyone worn out a skirt? I have worn out my first two skirts but, am stubbornly holding on to them as possible patterns. I bought these skirts in the eighties from LL Bean by mail order and wore them full time around the property. They were A line, elastic waist with belt loops and pockets but had a very light denim material, which was their downfall. I MUST learn to sew!
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sarongman wrote:Skirt Chaser wrote, "has anyone worn out a skirt?"
I have unfortunate body-chemistry -- I dissolve cotton-based fabrics quite quickly. This means that some of Sapphire's cast-off cotton-knit skirts are nearing the end of the line. I, too, need to learn how to "knock off" a replica garment for these wonderful ones and do them in something my body won't eat.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Sarongman said: I MUST learn to sew!
Don't have to..just scrape up $59.95 or whatever the equal is in other money, go online and look up Euro-Pro sewing machines. For that amount of shekels you can get a full automatic, computerized sewing machine with automatic thread loader. You dont have to see what you're doing to put a broken thread back in use. It will take pretty heavy thread or very light thread...I have one, I love it.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

That "Euro Pro" sounds good. It may be the same thing we have been looking at in the local Aldi supermarket which may be just "brand engineered". It would mean not having to get a jeweller's screwdriver to the shuttle bobbin to adjust the tension on my late 1880s (definitely steampunk) museum piece.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sarongman wrote:It would mean not having to get a jeweller's screwdriver to the shuttle bobbin to adjust the tension on my late 1880s (definitely steampunk) museum piece.
Embrace the history. Feel the history. Love the history.

And then admit that you need reading glasses and a magnifying-glass to thread the thing and get a post-modern self-threader.... :mrgreen: (BTDT, but am still fighting a rear-guard action against it.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!