Shaving rash

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
whitesocks

Shaving rash

Post by whitesocks »

I have started to shave my legs as it improves the look of them, hairy just doesn't seem to work with a shortish skirt. But after a few days they start to get really itchy resulting in having to scratch them. Its driving me crazy. Does anyone know what is going on and more to the point does anyone have a suggestion as to what I ought to do to stop this? I won't stop shaving, so that isn't a cure :D
Skirts, man's best friends :-)
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shaving rash

Post by Mipi »

It could be you have some hair in-growth. Seak some relevant info on what to do with it. I know there are some balzams and similar things to solve this.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I stopped shaving as my hair grow back too quickly so I bought an epulator it hurts like hell for the first couple of times as it rips the hair out of the roots, but after a few goes the hair just pulls without any pain as the actual root (base of the hair) hasn't had time to grow, the only draw back you can get ingrown hair it starts off with a very small black spot, what this is, it's the hair that can't break through the surface of the skin, to avoid these when you shower/bath rub your legs with a "loofer brush". If you get a large lumpy spot you will have to dig out the hair with a sterile needle what happens is that the hair can't break through the skin and doubles over and grows back down and can grow like a clock spring, it sounds frightening, but it is well worth it as your legs and anywhere else :shock: stays smooth for at least 3 weeks or more.
whitesocks

Post by whitesocks »

Many thanks for the advice, ingrowing hair sounds kinda nasty. Has anyone used one of the depilatory creams? I have got one but am a little worried that it may react violently with my legs - there are a lot of warnings on the tube. Out of curiosity it is one of these you apply and then go into the shower and leave for a couple of minutes before washing it off.
stefan

Post by stefan »

whitesocks wrote:Many thanks for the advice, ingrowing hair sounds kinda nasty. Has anyone used one of the depilatory creams? I have got one but am a little worried that it may react violently with my legs - there are a lot of warnings on the tube. Out of curiosity it is one of these you apply and then go into the shower and leave for a couple of minutes before washing it off.
Yes I tried them a couple of years ago. You have to be really carefull tat you dont leave it on for too long. I used my hand to massage it in instead of using the applicator. Even if I washed it off from the legs in time I got "burnt" in the palm of my hand since I applied to more than once using my hand.

It is safer with an epilator or shaving.
whitesocks

Post by whitesocks »

Hi Stefan, many thanks for the advice. Makes me more certain about not using the creams.
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

hoi, whitesocks...

sometimes it's the type of hair or skin causing the rash.
sometimes you just need to shave more often. the skin may just need to get used to this activity.

i find i shave my calves one day, my thighs the next. a day or two, then the cycle repeats.

my wife goes a week or more before wanting to shave again.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Smaug777

Post by Smaug777 »

Has anyone tried an epilator, it seems that it would hurt at first but as the hair starts coming back its suppose to be finer so the the pain would decrease also. Just curious if anyone has tried this
craig
stefan

Post by stefan »

Smaug777 wrote:Has anyone tried an epilator, it seems that it would hurt at first but as the hair starts coming back its suppose to be finer so the the pain would decrease also. Just curious if anyone has tried this
craig
I buyed an epilator a couple of days ago. I have used it on my legs and I was rather hairy. And sure it hurt. But I hope the result will last longer than a normal shave does. Time will tell.
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

Smaug777 wrote:Has anyone tried an epilator, it seems that it would hurt at first but as the hair starts coming back its suppose to be finer so the the pain would decrease also. Just curious if anyone has tried this
craig
Like Richard said:
RichardA wrote:I stopped shaving as my hair grow back too quickly so I bought an epulator it hurts like hell for the first couple of times as it rips the hair out of the roots, but after a few goes the hair just pulls without any pain as the actual root (base of the hair) hasn't had time to grow, the only draw back you can get ingrown hair it starts off with a very small black spot, what this is, it's the hair that can't break through the surface of the skin, to avoid these when you shower/bath rub your legs with a "loofer brush". If you get a large lumpy spot you will have to dig out the hair with a sterile needle what happens is that the hair can't break through the skin and doubles over and grows back down and can grow like a clock spring, it sounds frightening, but it is well worth it as your legs and anywhere else :shock: stays smooth for at least 3 weeks or more.
It hurts the first few times, but less and less as you continue to use it. You need to exfoliate your skin (with a loofa, a rough wash cloth, etc) before and after to minimize problems with ingrown hairs. Since the hair follicles are at different stages of growth, you don't get them all the first use. But after six or so months, all of the hairs will have been pulled out by the root (ouch!, that makes it sound bad!) at least once, and will start growing less robustly.

Kris
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

It hurts the first few times, but less and less as you continue to use it.
I heard something like that on TV last night watching the Discovery Channel show "Taboo" about people in San Franscisco PAYING to be branded with iron brands and have large sections of skin burned off in decorative patterns. Never could understand doing anything to intentionally hurt myself short of the one time I tried ending it all, but with that, there would have been no pain. Too much unexpected pain in life for me as it is. :blue:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Shaving requires the right shaver and the right touch. Try around with different things. In general, shaving WITH the grain of the hairs is less likely to cause ingrown hairs than shaving AGAINST the grain.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

In general, shave after a warm shower. This will soften the hair. You might try a shaving cream made for women. I think I use Skintastic.

After years of hair removal (shaving, epilator) eventually the hair follicles will give up and there will be a lot less hair.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

sapphire wrote:In general, shave after a warm shower. This will soften the hair. You might try a shaving cream made for women. I think I use Skintastic.
A word of caution might be wise here, and that's to make sure that the moisture one uses is appropriate for the tools one is using.

I use both blades (4-blade "Venus" -- go ahead and sneer if you wish) and a Norelco rotary electric on assorted parts. In short, If I tried doing anything even remotely "moist" with the rotary I'd wind up looking -- and feeling -- like hamburger; that's not a happy thought. With blades, I'll happily endorse the lotion Sapphire mentions, although I typically just make do with soap lather, and use that particular "machine" in the shower rather than afterwards.

What's the rationale between the different "devices"? Here's my take. First, convenience: the electric is a great invention, it does a reasonable job over a fairly large area, and can be done without steaming the room up. Blades are wonderful for getting a really smooth feel -- and it's blades that require moisture to really work their magic. Second, assorted parts of the anatomy lend themselves more to one tool than another; I find that the generally planar or cylindrical sections work best with the mechanised bits, areas with complex topology are best done with blades.

Note: Do not shirk from using "women's" razors if one is to undertake shaving areas other than the face. The surface area one is working with is comparatively vast, and that means that the velocities that one will be reaching with whatever tool one chooses will be quite fast compared to facial shaving. This indicates that large surface areas around the "cutting edges" are a good idea because that'll cut down on nicking and other gross injuries.

I'm likely lucky as I don't seem to get ingrown hairs, but others might not be so fortunate. Hence, I tend to shave against the grain; "your mileage may vary" -- if you're prone to ingrown hairs shave with the grain. (I've had an infected ingrown hair in a "sensitive" portion of my anatomy -- once, and this was before I was even contemplating shaving -- and it was (1) no fun and (2) rather embarrassing to bring up with my medical practitioner.)

As far as epilators and waxing go, I think I'll leave those devices to Torquemada's minions. I may be depriving myself of something nice, but somehow yanking everything out by the root just doesn't appeal to me.... Again, YMMV.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dragonslain

Post by dragonslain »

For shaving I like to use Noxzema Hair Minimizing Gel followed with some Aveno body lotion after. I used to just shave after wetting my legs with warm water and found my legs to be itchy (no rash). Shortly after I started with these products that the itching stopped. I don't know if it was the products, if my skin just got used to it or a product of the two.