Why do we post?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Why do we post?

Post by Bob »

AMM made an interesting point:
Most of us at SkirtCafe are pretty settled in our fashion choices and not really willing to explore new styles or even to examine our current fashion choices. Most of us have figured out where we're comfortable going skirted/kilted and aren't ready to discuss new situations. There's not a skirt-related discussion topic that hasn't been hashed and re-hashed to the point that even our most pugnacious participants are bored with it.

So, most of the folks here are now spending less time here and more time doing whatever else they do in their spare time -- skirted, kilted, or trousered as they see fit...
For those of us who have been around a long time and have heard all the re-hashed versions of every skirt-related topic... why do we still stick around and post? I can think of a number of possible reasons, but I really want to hear it from other "old folks" who continue to particpate.
Uncle Al

Re: Why do we post?

Post by Uncle Al »

New people to the forum bring new ideas, questions and concerns.
We 'Oldies' get to help encourage these folks to do, go about and
explorer what is 'comfortable' for them.

It gives one a good feeling when they are able to help someone
else achive their goal :D

Bob, Thanks :!: for carrying on Tom's ideals and goals. We are
here to help any and everyone be the best that he can be :mrgreen:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I think Al hit the nail on the head...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

I like to read and think about things so this is one topic of interest to hang the discussion on. Then there are the people here and knowing what they are up to as time goes on is also pleasurable for me. I also have the motive to transmit stories of men who wear skirts in life to my husband over the dinner table hoping one day he can have the same comfort in public as some of the men here do. :D Seeing what people are wearing is another draw for me that is always fresh and gives me ideas for things I might like for myself. I guess these are more "why am I here" reasons than posting specifically, I guess that mostly comes down to liking to argue.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I live in the Keys where I "used" to be a person of interest when I was in my 30's and 40's and outfishing and diving everyone else. But I got old and most people here now are either older than me and retired or have high school diplomas and college degrees and still talk like this>>
"Dem guys dont no nuttin and da tings dey tink dey kno aint nuttin needer." Obviously from that "pass me or ahl shuut u" method of getting diplomas. Which sort of leaves me looking for intelligent people, (like most of who's here) to have well thought out posts/responses with.
:thewave: Thank the powers that be for Bob, Carl and all the rest. :thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I think Skip has put it clearly as to where I stand also. I've looked through other forums (fora?) and the drivel I've read from barely literate, foul fingered near savages sends me to the safety of the intelligent people to be found here. I'd probably get more sense freom Odoacer, the barbarian (Cruel and cunning, so able to come to terms with Constantinople, therefore intelligent!) than those cretins!
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

In the main, it's probably still as much about curiosity as anything. Finding out about how folk in other environments cope with localised prejudices to their wearing a particular style of skirt. And equally, the opposite. Where it is never, or rarely, an issue. And that, of course, even includes one's own country! There's the prospect of overcoming one's own reluctance to, say, wear a slip under their Kilt - just 'in case' someone might 'see'! And realising that, well, no-one who matters, really cares! Seeking new sources, new manufacturers. Exploring potential legal issues. Swopping experiences, good or bad.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

In my case, the reasons are closer to those well explained by merlin.

At only 51 years of age I am not firmly established in a sartorial style and am very much still experimenting. I enjoy hearing of others' experiments, including the dreaded lingerie / nail polish / etc threads.

I am particularly interested, I will admit, in "how well did that go off au grand large" as opposed to simply "what did yo wear at home." To better understand the looks and the ways they have been received I do also find it helpful to have photos.

Good question Bob. There's my immediate answer. And while I don't post very much, I sure do appreciate all of you other guys who do!

Best regards,

Chris McKesson
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

I think the more interesting question is why do we read the forum. I post because I'm reacting to something I've read, and it is usually to offer an alternative perspective on something that somebody's written.

There are times when I don't know why I'm reading, but I do regularly come around to see what posts are new. I think it is because it feels as if I'm part of a community. I live in a big city and regularly wear skirts and kilts "out and about," but in the time I've lived here (six years), I've only seen four other men in skirts/kilts, and two of them were in the audience of a Black Watch concert. So even though we are a small community, we are still a community, and sometimes that's important.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Why do I post? It's cheaper than therapy...and as close as I care to come to "sharing my feelings". Without the Cafe and it's crew of fellow eccentric curmudgins I might end up sitting in a circle in the woods with a bunch of weepy dudes beating drums or something.
sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Sasq. the idea of beating drums with a "bunch of weepy dudes" reminded me of attending a session overseen by an eccentric old Swiss/German lady where we were supposed to access our inner power through tapping ourselves. A couple of the other participents did become weepy. S.O. and I, however avoided eachothers eyes in case we fell off our chairs in paroxysms of laughter. This is another likeable trait in the cafe, the way a thread can stray :offtopic: :sorry: :hide:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Partly I post here to encourage newcomers to get out there and strut confidently in their kilts or skirts and partly because six years into wearing kilts on a regular basis I am still on a learning curve. I only started wearing non-traditional style kilts and jeans skirts within the past two years. Like Merlin and ChrisM there is the dreaded issue of slips, which help the kilt or skirt to hang better and save on dry cleaning costs but do tend to show. One solution is for the slip to be in the form of a plain lining permanently stitched in at the waistband as with some Midas skirts, another is a purpose made kilt liner which has no frills or lace.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Cessna,
Interesting post. Of course I'm looking at things from the other side of the chromosome pair.

Your post implies that there are certain difficulties when wearing skirts. You mention the issue of slips/liners. Then there is the difficulty of remaining modest and the issue of sizing (fitting the waist and the hips)

As a member of the other side of the chromosomes, I'd like to share that I, too experienced all of those problems. Slips can be tricky if they are too long or too large in the waist. Too large in the waist and they fall down. Yes, indeedy, they do. I had that happen as I was leaving a Board of Trustees meeting. I was wearing a long, dark dress and my slip fell to the floor. No one noticed until I tripped over it.

Sometimes slips are too long for the skirt. Just roll up the waist portion and tuck it into your underpants. Tights work better if the weather is right.

There have been a number of posts on the Cafe remarking on the waist to hip ratio not being right. As a child, teenager and young adult, I could not purchase off the rack sirts that fit. If the hips fit, the waist was always too large. The same was true for jeans. All of my jeans had a six inch gap in the back that I had to close with a belt.

Now that I'm old and frumpy, everything fits like a sack and looks like a sack but at least it doesn't fall off or expose portions of my posterior that should be kept private.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Partly I post here to encourage newcomers to get out there and strut confidently in their kilts or skirts [...]
Ditto here. The world is a pretty cold place without the occasional word of encouragement, and those "who have gone before" really should consider the plight that the newcomer to this style of attire might feel. If my posts can assuage the worries of even one bloke who wants to try something different, comfortable, and quirky then I'll feel I've done well.
[...] and partly because six years into wearing kilts on a regular basis I am still on a learning curve.
Interestingly, I seemed to take to skirted styles quite easily, and the few technical questions I had were easily answered by Sapphire. Initially there was a "crisis of confidence", but that's passed with the years, and although I've settled down into styles I'm comfortable with I understand that I really should push the boundaries from time to time. Now's not the time to do that, however; there's just too much other garbage going on in my life at the moment.

As a side note, I may be lucky in that my proportions lend themselves well to skirted rigs. I'm fortunate enough to have a waist that's narrower than my hips, although if it were the other way 'round I suspect I'd find solace in braces/suspenders as an alternative to really tightly binding a belt about my midsection.
[...] there is the dreaded issue of slips, which help the kilt or skirt to hang better and save on dry cleaning costs but do tend to show. One solution is for the slip to be in the form of a plain lining permanently stitched in at the waistband as with some Midas skirts, another is a purpose made kilt liner which has no frills or lace.
With the former, what one ends up with is what's known as a "lined skirt", and I believe that the latter undergarment is already available under that self-same name or can be readily fabricated from off-the-peg undergarments from "the other side of the aisle". If one has to resort to the latter above, the best bet might be to get something too long, and gradually trim-and-re-hem until one gets the desired effect; stitching it to a kilt I don't think would be a very good idea and would defeat the ability to launder the underpieces separately from the main article. Experimentation is called for.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

[Second attempt to post]

I can think of two reasons why I post:

First, to talk about various clothing ideas, both to get a "second opinion" and to get an idea of how people who aren't me will react.

Second, to talk in a civilized manner about whatever with people to whom I don't have to justify my choice of clothing.

(Unfortunately, I'm often disappointed on both counts.)
Thanks for all the fish.