Should we be SkirtCafe?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Uncle Al

Potted Palm in the text.......

Post by Uncle Al »

Ok Bob,

I've read, re-read and re-re-read the text. I've found the
cup in the LOGO, but I can't find the Potted Palm, or any other
'tree' mentioned in the text. :shock: Even going to the 'See here
for more details' does not mention our famous/infamous 'Tree'. :roll:

What am I missing? :?

Has anyone heard from Siri? How is she? She's a great lady!
She helped keep things on a even keel, yet she would-on occasion-
help 'stir-the-pot'. :wink:
She alway did love a good joke ( or two, or three, or... ).

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Bob wrote:I never had the Toms Cafe archives. They stayed with Noodles, but fell offline recently. Everything I inherited is still up here under phpBB.
Thanks Bob. Is there any chance of being able to get hold of that piece of "our" (that is MIKS) history?
Bob wrote:I think it's easy to idealize the past. We actually had a lot of flame wars back then.
Yup, those rose tinted spectacles are fairly ubiquitous. When I first registered at the café I read through all the archives, both here and Toms, I did not form the impression that life in Toms was any quieter than here. Granted we've had a few minor flare ups recently, but things seem to have settled back to their usual easy pace. Sometimes, however, I find it good to look back and remind myself how things have changed (or not).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

The potted palm is in the text under INTRODUCTIONS
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
Uncle Al

Potted Palm

Post by Uncle Al »

OK-I'm blind in one eye, and can't see out the other! :lol:

Well we've had a smattering of snow here in the DFW area.
Not enough to stick on anything. 28 F this early AM. I'ts up
to 42 F now, looking for 44 F.

Still, it's cold! BRRRRRRRRRRRRR :!:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
crfriend
Master Barista

Histories

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:Is there any chance of being able to get hold of that piece of "our" (that is MIKS) history?
To the best of my knowledge, some recent (as of when the transition from Tom's Cafe to SkirtCafe happened) came over to the "new" site to serve as a seed; the deep history remained with Noodles on Tom's old server. You'd have to ask Noodles.

Interestingly, Noodles stops by every now and then; if you're lucky you may see him in the list of "online users", but sadly he never seems to post anything. His is a voice I miss. (I never met Tom, but from all accounts he was an outstanding chap.)
Granted we've had a few minor flare ups recently, but things seem to have settled back to their usual easy pace. Sometimes, however, I find it good to look back and remind myself how things have changed (or not).
Flare-ups are just a part of life -- both online and off -- and one just has to take them in stride. They've always been there but, as you've witnessed, they seem lesser when viewed through the rear-view mirror.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Potted Palm in the text.......

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Uncle Al wrote:Has anyone heard from Siri? How is she? She's a great lady!
She helped keep things on a even keel, yet she would-on occasion-
help 'stir-the-pot'. :wink:
She alway did love a good joke ( or two, or three, or... ).
Hello Uncle Al,

Sadly for us Siri retired from participation. You can read her last post here- http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... ght=#77199 She was the first person I got to know when I joined Tom's Cafe and I miss her too.

Quiet Mouse

Edited to fix link
Uncle Al

Siri

Post by Uncle Al »

Skirt Chaser,

Thanks for the 'reminder'. I had completely forgotten about this.
I guess that comes with age. It was great to re-read her post!

Sorry it has taken awhile to acknowledge you, but just now
getting over that blasted stomach virus/flu bug--wretched thing!
Not the best way, but I lost 8 lbs in 3 days with this 'bug'.

Again, thanks for the reminder!

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

To get back to the original question, if it aint broke- don't fix it! What's wrong with the name anyway?
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Should we be SkirtCafe?

Post by Derek Plattis »

I agree with Merlin. It's not just about skirts. I think the name should incorporate the ideal of total freedom in choice of fashion.

I also think International Men's Fashion Freedom was a name which summed it all up very succinctly. If we can't or don't want to use that name can we re-word it somehow?

"Fashion freedom for Men"

" Fashion for the free man"

"Free choice fashion for men"

...or something like that.

Derek
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Derek Plattis wrote:I agree with Merlin. It's not just about skirts. I think the name should incorporate the ideal of total freedom in choice of fashion.

I also think International Men's Fashion Freedom was a name which summed it all up very succinctly. If we can't or don't want to use that name can we re-word it somehow?
The "naming problem" took a while to work out, and there were a few causes to that. First and foremost, SkirtCafe is the direct lineal descendent of "Tom's Cafe", and it was felt that there was a great deal of identity ("brand identity", if you will) tied up in that, and the need was felt to keep "Cafe" (How does one put the accent-grave into online text?) as part of that identity. During the transition, the new "proprietor" was asked to change the name of the forum as the previous "owner" wished to use the name going forward; this was respected and forced us to take on a "new" identity.

IMFF, on the other hand, started life completely anew, and was therefore free to choose its identity. We just didn't have the same latitude in our options if we wanted some sense of continuity,

The above having been said, SkirtCafe has developed its own "personality" that's distinct from the 'Tom's Cafe" days; I'm not going to muse whether that's a good or a bad thing, it just is. However, I rather like the notion of "SkirtCafe"; and I was one of the chaps that lobbied for the name (although I was not the one who came up with it) early on. It seems to best sum things up, and still maintains the link to the past. I just hope that Tom Manuel isn't grimacing at us from wherever he is; I'd rather see a happy smile on his face, because that'd indicate that we've succeeded in maintaining at least some of his vision..
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

To say a few things about that, I'll start with the fact that IMFF was more into freestyle than skirts and kilts for men. I know we welcome and have several freestylers, and welcome any more that wish to join us. We even have a "freestyler" option choice. I'm one of the old codgers that's been "here" since it was "Tom's Cafe" and Tom Manuel was still alive. I welcome all fashion choices to join our site. I don't welcome anyone that wants to change our site into a primarily freestyler site or CD site. There are already hundreds of those on the net and only ONE like ours. Please, lets just keep our name the same as it is. Our present Grand Poopah, "Bob" puts a lot of his time into trying to uphold the basic tenets that Tom Manuel started. At one time we had a lot more kilt wearers than we do now. Most of them left because of the trend towards freestyling here. I miss them and their dry wit and ready conversation.
We went thru about 3 months of discussing and changing our name from Tom's Cafe to SkirtCafe, from Barista Tom to Noodles to Bob. All have done a great job and we owe them a huge debt of gratitude for keeping our site open. IMFF has permanently closed due to several factors, some of which were arguments between freestylers and skirt/kilt wearers.
AS I said, I DO welcome freestylers to our site, as long as they don't attempt to make it THEIR site. If they want a site, why not open a new IMFF site?? I'm sure they have more than enough freestylers to keep it open. I was a member of IMFF and miss it. I love SkirtCafe and loved IMFF but they were diferent and (IMHO) think they should remain different.
:thewave: :thewave: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :hide:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:(How does one put the accent-grave into online text?)
Using Windoze a lower case "e" with an acute accent (I assume that's what you meant?) is inserted by holding the Alt key down and typing 130 on the numeric keypad. Watch closely while I demonstrate... é Got it? :D

Other special characters are most easily found using Character map, a small programme that lived in the background of Windows 98 but which I seem to recall disappeared by the time XP arrived.

Of course if you are not using Mr Gates products none of the above will be of any help.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

Milfmog wrote:Other special characters are most easily found using Character map, a small programme that lived in the background of Windows 98 but which I seem to recall disappeared by the time XP arrived.
In my copy of Windows XP, Character map is there, in
All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map

Kris
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Jack here. I found skirt-cafe by putting in "Blokes in skirts" and got "Dare devils-men in skirts "link site & found it exploring there. I think "Skirt Cafe" is a very good name. Says what it is after all. // Ordered a (copout!) 3/4 length denim one the other day. The lava-lavas have no pockets. Getting nice & warm already here in the Spring and time to give the Levis a rest. Jack.