New SkirtCafe Photo Gallery

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I like the idea of public and private galleries.
I suspect we're converging on consensus here. The more I think about it, the more I like the notion of a highly-polished "public" photo album alongside with a "members-only" one where "Does this work or not?" and "Do I really look like a gorilla in a dress?" imagery can be used and looks explored.
It feels like having a central photo gallery is something the phpBB forum software isn't really intended for. That's fine (users will always find ways to use systems that the originator never thought of) but results in "square peg in round hole syndrome", ie having to come up with specific informal rules to these sub-forums.
There's already a "photo gallery" package installed on the SkirtCafe server, but its credentialling mechanism (username/password) is completely incompatible with the one that the main forum's software uses and whilst I could bodge the photo-gallery's code to use the phpBB-style credentials the next time it got updated my changes would be lost. The other issue with the gallery package that's already loaded is that its user interface can be a bit confusing; so, given all that, it pretty much withered on the vine.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

I'm fully for two gallerys. As stated, one which is professionaly edited and for promotion means, open for all. This should be locked as far as is possible, to prevent jokers messing about with it, if possible.

The question is then, who would be responsible for the site, and can we vote on which pictures we wish to be there? Those issues may be more difficult than technical issues.

The other gallery for members only. Of course the same, protected from meddling from others, not that that would happen, being only for members.

"crfriend: I suspect we're converging on consensus here. The more I think about it, the more I like the notion of a highly-polished "public" photo album alongside with a "members-only" one where "Does this work or not?" and "Do I really look like a gorilla in a dress?" imagery can be used and looks explored."

That says it all.
So that all who wish to present their PERSONAL photo's and have them open to close scrutiny comments and advise, or just show off how good / hot they look, could put them there.

I have read that there may be some technical hurdles to be lept over, but I think that can be solved eventually.

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

ImageTo SkirtDude!

And to all, I don't know that we want to go down the road of deciding which looks merit a public showing. We have so many styles here that one look may be polished to some while others see it as not representing the best of skirted men. Rather than worry about what is good "for the movement" I'd suggest the choice of which gallery is up to the individual.

As others have said of the Cafe, we don't get many outsiders here, I wouldn't spend much time worrying what people who don't know anything about men wearing skirts will think. For me the private and public photo posting options are mainly for reducing the chance a photo will pop up as a search engine result or get passed around online.

Quiet Mouse
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

If you set up a members only gallery with simple instructions, I would try to post to it.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Love the new gallery! Um, what is the recommended spot to put general comments on the pics? I'm thinking along the lines of praise toward all for sharing their pictures and how everybody has such handsome legs. :D Can we have a nonspecific positive comment thread sticky or should I put a post in "Skirts and Kilts for Men"?

Quiet (and happy) Mouse
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Love the new gallery! Um, what is the recommended spot to put general comments on the pics?
Well, according to the "Rules of Engagement" announcement, comments are welcome in any member's thread so long as they're respectful. So, I guess that's where you'd put 'em. ;)
Can we have a nonspecific positive comment thread sticky or should I put a post in "Skirts and Kilts for Men"?
Well, the "Pics and Looks" forum is for registered members only, so commentary relating to it in the anonymously-viewable fora would only create confusion. It's probably best to keep it confined to "L&P".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Not anymore

Post by Since1982 »

I used to not care about my pic being on the web cause I'd never previously ran into any negative type persons at this site, that's changed so I'd probably not want to put my picture in any public place ever again. Too bad it's come to that, but until I change my mind on that, I'll probably keep my picture private. My friends already have my pic and anyone else can get it by respectfully asking for one in a private message. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

comments

Post by knickerless »

I don't mind if you put any comments about my picture - complimentary or otherwise. Just reply to the post.

Nick
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

I tend to agree with Skip. I've seen too many posts criticising 'fat' people, claiming their appearance doesn't lend itself to wearing skirts. Or that overweight folk shouldn't wear short skirts. As I'm still unable to do any form of weight-shedding exercise, my weight has crept up towards 18 stone! In other words, I am grossly obese - akin to Jabba the Hut (of "Starwars" fame). Whilst it wouldn't bother me particularly, I wouldn't want to 'offend' the 'beanpoles' who might find such a sight, a traumatic experience.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

18 stone

Post by JRMILLER »

Merlin,
We have a program here called "The Biggest Loser". These typically feature men and women who start out at 28 and sometimes end up at 18. In that sense, most of us here are lightweights!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Ah ha! Thank you, John!

It's all down to proportion. I'm huge (or gross) in the UK sense! I want to be 13 stone again, so that's about the same proportion as the US citizens' weight loss!
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

london

Post by JRMILLER »

Merlin,
You need to come to the US, I been in London in the hotels and have been truly amazed at how narrow the doors are and how small the rooms are. In the US, everything is supersized including most of us. You would fit right in!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

crfriend wrote:Well, the "Pics and Looks" forum is for registered members only, so commentary relating to it in the anonymously-viewable fora would only create confusion.
You know, that makes a lot of sense. :lol: I can see why Bob knew you'd be a good mod.
tooslowprius
Distinguished Member

Re: New SkirtCafe Photo Gallery

Post by tooslowprius »

here is a link to some of my newest photos of me in a skirt. please feel free to leave comments about how i look in a skirt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28727772@N ... 722451488/