Freestylers

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Freestylers

Post by Since1982 »

I think I'll just lurk for a while. I'm a bit sad with the way this site is going. There are tons of freestyler sites on the web already, I'm afraid I'm seeing this site turning into another "boys who want to be girls" site. I hope I'm wrong. I can imagine that (((Tom Manuel is rolling in place)))...A freestyler site is about as far from the Million Skirted Men March in New York as it gets. By the way...A "Top" is a womans garment. A "Shirt" is a mans garment. A "dress" is a womans garment. A "Tunic" is a mans garment. A "Skirt" is gender non-specific. 'nuff said.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Oh for the love of pete!!!!

Your upset with this site, yet once again you fail to point out exactly which post, or thread that has gotten you all upset. Ins this case you go on about the use of words for describing the upper portion of a outfit (uh oh, I said outfit when talking about the clothes I wear, but out fit is a term used mostly by women!!! Oh bolt and bar the door of the mind shut, this might be a post from a cross dresser!!!)

Just because someone calls the upper portion of their wardrobe a "top" does not mean they are going fem. Men have tops too. Women have shirts, men have bottoms, and women have bottoms. Men wear belts, and women wear belts. Quit being such a narrow and limited, symantec driven, twit!!!!!

If you have specific things that are upsetting you, speak up.

Going on about how this site is turning into a freestyle site (which to you equates to CD'ing), but given no specific examples, doesn't help anyone here understand exactly where or if we are going off track.

Tom Manuel is most likely up in heaven and probably laughing at all us humans as we fight amonst our selves on such trivial things as clothing choices when there are far more important things to concern ourselves with.

Get with the game instead of complaining. That is the problem, too many complainers, and whiners, and not enough doers.

One way you can start is by posting pics of what you consider as acceptable male styles. Like how I did where in one case I was pretty much insulted. But I took my hits, and keep on keeping on, working on making my style a bit better (but I still wear leggings as a wardrobe choice)

Oh and from the pictures I saw of the MSM, you are very wrong in saying freestyler was far from the intent of that march. Why the heck was it not called million kilted man march, if the idea was not for a broader fashion choice for men.

If you wanna lurk, then lurk. But I would much prefer you state your mind, and quit being such a do nothing.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Beat it, Skip! :twisted:

From what I remember it was you that messed up IMFF after the way you caused a flame war with Jermaine E. There's nothing wrong with us guys wearing tights under our skirts, or even panties if they are comfortable.

I don't think this site is about 'men in women's clothes' - but skirts are more comfortable. I love kilts, but because they're itchy at times I wear slips with them. I'm still a guy :!: If I choose to wear a spaghetti strap top with my skirt, I'm still a guy, I ain't trying to be a girl. (Not that I do... :oops: ) but the point I'm making is if we all start judging ourselves and looking down on each other, we're wasting valuable skirting time!!! 8)

We wear skirts as an alternative to, and alongside regular guys clothes, not INSTEAD of them. I doubt any of us wear skirts 24/7... I want to slip on a denim skirt the way I do a pair of jeans, and just go about my business without the double takes and the whispered comments. I'd love to wear a pencil skirt the way I wear trousers without anyone batting an eyelid. That's what we are working towards here, and if you don't like it then that's too damn bad.

I can kinda see why Jermaine threatened you now, if you deliberately antagonize people... :evil:

Just chill out... I'm sure this site isn't turning into one of those TV sites. if it was, I wouldn't be here. The fact is that some members may have come from TV backgrounds before realizing they don't have to look and act like a woman to wear a skirt, hence the term 'Freestyling'... :wink:
crfriend
Master Barista

Careful...

Post by crfriend »

Guys, please watch it with the ad-hominem stuff. We can, and should, argue ideas, but let's not lose touch with civility by hammering on people.

Skip has been around for quite a while, and has made some important contributions. His observation that the Cafe has become a bit more "freestyle" is actually pretty spot on; the important thing, and this is where it's key, is that we don't lose touch that we're men wearing skirted garments not play-acting roles based in fantasy.

As far as the term "top" goes, it's just another term -- and it actually makes sense because we're straying away from the notion of the "traditional western shirt" (with tails) by including things like shirts with even hems (e.g. Hawaiian shirts). Occasionally it's just easier to lump everything worn on the torso into one bucket and be done with, especially if one doesn't need to be precise. And, like "skirt", it's just a word: a useful one at that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

well

Post by SkirtedViking »

Let's define that for society skirt,top whatever is a women's garment and is treated equally bad on men.So instead to be unite, we start to divide that sucks if i may use this slang expression.If you see my beard and haircut, muscular body you will see that I do not pretend to be a girl.I do not know about any freestyler's sites,rather for transvestites seem to be many. If you are bothered with the fact that i want to wear whatever I please as equally as women wear men's garments and shoes, may be I should make a site for gender honest freestylers.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Skip.

Tom's Café has always had its element of freestylers - way back in 1997, it was quite commonplace. I'd disagree that this is one of many "freestyler" sites; there are not that many. Freestyling, as has been mentioned ad infinitum, is not the same as being a transvestite.

I like Bob's attempts to remain inclusive by putting other areas on/ in the Café. Furthermore, I also love seeing more women posting; it's refreshing, and an illuminating insight.

Thus, Skip, your comments and opinions remain relevant, and sought after.

Kilty (and other relative newcomers) - can you perhaps be a touch more subtle in your language? The internet is an imperfect medium for communication, and the ability to fly off the handle is readily available at the touch of a keyboard, albeit with unforseen or exaggerated consequences.

Ta much.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Well - I think it was my use of the word TOP that Skip was annoyed about. I'll just point out a couple of things.

1) This was in a thread in the Freestyler section of this forum. That section was created to discuss freestyler issues etc.

2) I used the word TOP to describe all of my own garments that I wear on the . . . top of my body - i.e. shirts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters etc. What word would you use as a generic term for these?

I don't see a problem with this - and I don't understand why Skip thinks my use of words presages then end of the forum as he knows it.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

I'm sorry but why are we sticking up for someone who in all essense insulted freestylers? That is what that fellow did when he made his post about how this place is degrading into a CD?TV site "like all the other freestyle sites".

I quite frankly was insulted by this. His picking on people's use of the term top, when describing a shirt sorta annoyed me, but his stating in no uncertain terms that a dress is worn by women, and a tunic is worn by men.

News flash hot shot, do you remember the old Star Trek, female officer uniforms? Guess what their dresses are called...TUNICS!!!!!, and the little panties worn over the tights are called "BRIEFES". These are so called terms for male clothing.

It was that paragraph that just plain irritated this guy's post. It was limited and narrow minded.

This was not helped by the fact he offered no pointers as to which posts he thought were causing the downfall of this site.

No one by the way has stuck up for me concerning the berating I took for a mistype in one of my posts. Not one person here. I am confused with the defense of this clod, and no defense or pointers to me.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Hey guys, let's all see if we an cool our jets here.

A number of remarks above have gone beyond what is generally acceptable, and into personal attacks. I do not want to have to waste time pointing them out, deleting them out, or otherwise treating people like children.

If anyone here feels some of their own remarks may have been inflammatory, you can do the community a favor by editing them to tone it down a bit.

I refuse to act as "fashion police" on the board. So did Tom Manuel. There are other fashion-related boards out there that dictate what outer garmets are and are not acceptable for men to discuss and to wear. This is not one of them.

It's true, discussion of freestyle fashion is a lot more active than discussion of kilts. But everyone has signed up under a committment to "no femme role-playing." That's what makes SkirtCafe unique.
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Freestyling has come a long way since 1982

Post by binx »

Skip, if you do a web search of the term freestyler, with mens fashion, you will find this site is indirectly linked through references to Tom's Cafe. So IMO this site is already considered a freestyler site. I really did not find that many freestyler websites either. Now there are a lot of men in high heels...but this site is about men in skirts, NOT high heels, "...as a fashion choice for men..."
I'm not insulted. Just my two cents worth.

binx
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

tops etc

Post by knickerless »

I cannot see anything wrong with talking about tops, petticoats, tunics or whatever. A skirt is just one part of 'outfit' and you have to wear other items as well. You have to mix and match. We have all picked up tips here and on the old IMFF site that have improved our overall look.
Look at any group of Women - on the train or at a bus stop and they will all be wearing different combinations of tops, jumpers, t-shirts, leg warmers, boots, trousers, skirts, dresses, shoes, sandals and boots - all (usually) of them will have co-ordinated the various items to achieve their particular look. I too am colour blind so I tend to stick to colours I can recognise and this usually ends up with me picking blacks ansd blues. (after the disastrous pink suit episode of the 1970s - still it was reduced).
I don't think we should exclude the views of cross-dressers, TV's or anyone else.
Sometimes girls have given me tips about what to wear with some of my skirts. Sometimes I take this advice, sometimes not. I am sure I am not alone.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Tops/shirts, skirts/bottoms, really, what's the big deal? As far as I'm concerned, it's all semantics, apples and oranges, six of one and half a dozen of the other. At the end of the day, it's all clothing, nothing more, nothing less, certainly nothing to get hot and bothered over, regardless of which side of the argument you happen to fall on. Let's all just calm down here and not get bogged down in a nasty debate with each other over what to call this, that and the other thing. In my mind, that sort of caustic discourse makes absolutely no sense and only leads to bad feelings in the end. So, everyone back to your corners and chill out!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: tops etc

Post by Ray »

knickerless wrote:I cannot see anything wrong with talking about tops, petticoats, tunics or whatever. A skirt is just one part of 'outfit' and you have to wear other items as well. You have to mix and match. We have all picked up tips here and on the old IMFF site that have improved our overall look...

...I don't think we should exclude the views of cross-dressers, TV's or anyone else.
Knickerless, I can see Skip's worries (albeit unfounded in my view). The balance achieved by the Café is difficult. It would be all too easy for it to descend into a CD/TV forum or website of which there are huge numbers already available. However, impose too much control and you have a narrowly focused forum that jumps on any that stray out of line.

This is why I believe we need to have an awareness of this problem; this non-pigeonholing of the Café and that to lose sight of that is to see it lurch into disarray.

Pythos - at the risk of inflaming things, your good points would be much better made without the aggression that can infuse several of your postings. The tone disguises the thrust of your points at times, which of course leads to even more frustration as the content is ignored due to a focus on the tone.

You may even find that people stick up for you! :wink:

(breathes out in big sigh).
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Freestyling has come a long way since 1982

Post by jamie001 »

Some men wear high heels with their skirts to complete the look. I usually wear women's low heel shoes because I like the feminine shoe style. IMHO, most men's shoes are too bulky and masculine looking.
binx wrote:Skip, if you do a web search of the term freestyler, with mens fashion, you will find this site is indirectly linked through references to Tom's Cafe. So IMO this site is already considered a freestyler site. I really did not find that many freestyler websites either. Now there are a lot of men in high heels...but this site is about men in skirts, NOT high heels, "...as a fashion choice for men..."
I'm not insulted. Just my two cents worth.

binx