Utilikilt or Unionkilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Wiha

Utilikilt or Unionkilt

Post by Wiha »

All,

I have the possibility to order a Utilikilt or a Unionkilt (or any other). Which one you can prefer? For both I like to go for the denim version.

Thanks

Wiha
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Get a UNIONKILT!:):cheer: Good quality & nicely designed! You won't be disappointed!:)
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

wintermute wrote:Get a UNIONKILT!:):cheer: Good quality & nicely designed! You won't be disappointed!:)
Seconded. They'll supply off the peg unless you have a special requirement.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

The decision was made for me because there was a problem with Utilikilts on-line ordering system and I found out after e-mailing them some time after I thought I had ordered that they had never received my order for a denim kilt nor had my credit card been charged, so I ordered a denim kilt from Union Kilts instead and it arrived within a few days and cost half the price of a Utilikilt. I've no regrets. In fact I like the light blue denim Union Kilt so much that I'm thinking of getting a dark blue denim one as well.
Both the Union Kilt and the Utilikilt have knife pleats which radiate out to opposite sides from a central seam on the back unlike a traditional Scottish kilt where all the pleats go the same way.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I don't own any kilts, as I mostly wear fairly short skirts that were designed for women. I would like to own a couple of kilts though as I think they can look very smart - and I'm particularly attracted to the dark denim Unionkilt one that I've seen. One was available on eBay last week and I bid up to £42 (plus £10 p+p) but I didn't get it.

So I'll just have to save up my pennies and purchase one direct. I just *so* wish that I had taken advantage of the discounts that were on offer earlier in the year.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
binx
Member Extraordinaire

UK: UtiliKilt or UnionKilt

Post by binx »

Utilikilts operate pretty "loosely" from what I gathered after a couple of visits there while in Seattle. They were still waiting for their new digs to get done, and I had a hard time getting a refund for a Survival I'd just bought the first visit that didn't quite fit. Well, it was the Labor day week after all...Aren't Unionkilts just UKilikilts? :ninjajig: They're acronyms are the same: UK:think: I think Unionkilts look a lot like a Utilikilt in construction, but Utilikilt was first to make 'em.

binx
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Wiha wrote:All,

I have the possibility to order a Utilikilt or a Unionkilt (or any other). Which one you can prefer? For both I like to go for the denim version.

Thanks

Wiha
I have neither a Utilikilt nor a Union Kilt but have read lots of good things from happy customers of each brand. However one thing that may sway your decision is that Union Kilts are inside the EU and so you will not be liable for any import duty whereas Utilikilts will cost more to ship to you from Seattle and will attract duty.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Also, another thing to note is that the design details of the kilts are different - Go compare the two: UTILIKILTS seem to have an awful lot of press-studs especially on the front (to be honest, as a kilt wearer that really puts me off....For some reason, it just doesn't look right.....) whereas UNIONKILTS, although their design is somwhat similar in appearance to the UTILIKILT, actually have more pockets (smaller ones overlaid on the main cargo pockets for your phone, pens, business cards etc) PLUS, they lay off with the press-stud overkill on the front, making it a little more tradional looking (even though it's a more contemporary take).....And then there's the point raised by Ian about possible importation charges:naughty: if you go USA.........UNIONKILTS would be the better bet, methinks.
I have spoken with the UNIONKILT guys on a number of occaisions; They are passionate about what they do, the garments they produce are VERY good quality, they are willing to listen to what you have to say & in my experience are willing to sort problems without fuss. Plus, they are "local" !!!!:cheer: :clap: :ninjajig:
I hope this helps in your decision making process!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Union kilts have four press-studs on the waistband, and two each on the pockets. I like the two straps on the right-hand side - makes it look more like a traditional kilt :)

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

I just *so* wish that I had taken advantage of the discounts that were on offer earlier in the year.
Have a look at their new website http://www.kilts.org Christopher, you will see that Union Kilts have lowered their prices on their denim kilts. I've just been onto their site this evening and ordered myself that dark blue denim kilt.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Regarding UNION KILTS, just to let you guys know (if you didn't already) that if you register yourself on their site BEFORE the end of this month, a discount E-voucher will be emailed to you at the end of April for your next purchase (I think it's 10% off:cheer: ).
Get registered!:)
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Ooooooh . . . Unionkilts have got a black denim kilt. I haven't noticed that before. Looks good.

But the one thing that I hate about the Unionkilt website - and other kilt websites too, come to think of it, is the fact that all of the male models are invariably wearing deep sea divers boots! Seriously - I think it's really silly. Sort of . . . although I'm wearing a skirt (kilt), you can see that I am a man really because I have got these HUGE BOOTS on . . . .

If we just regard skirts (including kilts) as another item of clothing - then men should be wearing roughly the same clothing, footwear and accessories etc. with them as they would with jeans or trousers. Now - not many men wear deep sea diving boots with trousers - so why are they supposed to wear them with skirts?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

although I'm wearing a skirt (kilt), you can see that I am a man really because I have got these HUGE BOOTS on . . . .
Can't say I'd ever thought of it that way - thought it was just a case of what seemed to look like a well co-ordinated outfit:-
either
Tartan kilt + knee socks + black brogue style shoes
or
Non-trad kilt or manskirt + thick ankle socks + boots
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

I have a denim Union Kilt. Yes, it's a good quality product. I do find it a bit heavy. The pockets are great - capacious and well-positioned. Slightly over-long for my tastes in standard length but washing it seemed to fix that.
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

ChristopherJ wrote:But the one thing that I hate about the Unionkilt website - and other kilt websites too, come to think of it, is the fact that all of the male models are invariably wearing deep sea divers boots! Seriously - I think it's really silly. Sort of . . . although I'm wearing a skirt (kilt), you can see that I am a man really because I have got these HUGE BOOTS on . . . .
.........?