Why the Automatic Kilt/Scot Association?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Why the Automatic Kilt/Scot Association?

Post by skirttron »

Why do many people assume that, even if you wear a non-traditional kilt, you must be Scottish? After all, no one assumes you are Indian if you eat a curry.
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Duh, nearly all will ask if you're Scottish, although many times I'm asked if I'm Irish. After all, just how often do you encounter a man in a skirt, let alone one in a kilt? I wore my cut-off denim Old Navy skirt to a hair stylist, and was asked about the "kilt", and if there was some Scottish event going on nearby.

binx
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Scottish

Post by Since1982 »

At least they ask if we're Scottish and not if we're Scotch....I got tired long ago of explaining to people that I definitely was not a bottle of BOOZE!!
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Hi Skip,
Since1982 wrote:At least they ask if we're Scottish and not if we're Scotch....I got tired long ago of explaining to people that I definitely was not a bottle of BOOZE!!
You should have said, "Yeah, I'm Scotch... Scotch tape!" :) [a good attempt at a bad joke!]

--Rick
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

When I was asked if I was Scotch, I replied that I was not but had some similarities...

I get better as I get older
I get more expensive as time goes by
and I have mellowed as I age (actually that was a lie :naughty: )

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

I don't know, but I'm sure tired of it...
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Easy solution

Post by binx »

Stop wearing kilts. They are great conversation starters IMO. I went into work kilted today, now that it's warming up outside, and I was asked by a nice-looking blond that question. Then at a restaurant for dinner this evening, another nice blond asked about bagpipes. Told her about the upcoming Tartan Day festivities. It also gives you an opportunity to talk about "...exploring, promoting and advocating...kilts as a [full-time] fashion choice for men." That's what we're all about, right?

binx
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

No Chance

Post by skirttron »

binx wrote:Stop wearing kilts.

binx
Not likely at all!
Yeah, I'm a bit of an exhibitionist too so I do not mind attracting attention - but we have to fix the preconceptions out there. Only being out kilted and skirted amongst the throng with as little traditional baggage as possible will do it. Probably if other modern kilts start being completely accepted I'll wear a bright red one.
binx
Member Extraordinaire

The solution?

Post by binx »

How do you propose fixing the "problem" if wearing a tartan? I know, wear a shirt with your kilt that says "I'm not Scottish/Irish/Welsh, so don't even ask!" That should do it...

binx
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

binx wrote:How do you propose fixing the "problem" if wearing a tartan? I know, wear a shirt with your kilt that says "I'm not Scottish/Irish/Welsh, so don't even ask!" That should do it...

binx
Scottish/Irish/Welsh????????????? I'm confused! Wouldn't it be easier to say "British"? There are more "English" folk wear Kilts than the Irish or Welsh, surely? I've yet to see a 'Welsh' Kilt - I thought they were a 21st Century 'invention'. Don't get me wrong - it's a major step forward, and very welcome, too! Apart from the odd NI pipe band, I've not seen a Kilt worn in Ireland, other than by a Scot (at an International match), either. It cannot be a Celtic connection, after Ireland, England has (apparently) the next highest proportion of 'native' celts.....................:eh: :think:
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

What are the differences between a scottish kilt, an irish kilt and a cornish kilt?
I have heard from someone who used to lead a scottish sprout troop (the boy-sprouts spent a lot of uniform time kiltified) that it wasn't unkown for sprouts to swap kilts with others, hence one of his sprouts had swapped his scottish tartan one for a cornish kilt. All I remember was that the cornish kilt was ( i think) orange, and somehow the cut of the cloth was different. I have trawled the net looking for info on kilt variations but found nothing.

(For sprout, read scout just in case anyone was left in doubt)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Departed Member

My only memories of Cornish Kilts date back to the 70s. Those I saw then were 'all black' (with black socks, etc.). Pre-dating fashion-conscious "Goths" somewhat! Maybe that's what inspired them!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

My first non-tartan kilt was my all black 8 yard heavyweight wool kilt, as seen in my avatar, and I have quite often been told by people that the black denotes a Cornish kilt.
On the other hand my lightweight polycotton black kilt for casual wear tends to be considered goth.
My adult daughter from my previous marriage is a goth and approves of her dad wearing black kilts.
I wore my olive grey Freedom Cargo Kilt when I went to London last week and not one person asked me if I was Scottish. In fact nobody commented on the kilt at all.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Maybe not in London...that's a cosmopolitan city

Post by binx »

merlin wrote:Scottish/Irish/Welsh????????????? I'm confused! Wouldn't it be easier to say "British"? There are more "English" folk wear Kilts than the Irish or Welsh, surely?
I have consistently been asked if I was Irish or Scottish...never have heard British. Well, not Welsh either...but I have heard that they wore cilts.

binx
Departed Member

binx wrote:I have consistently been asked if I was Irish or Scottish...never have heard British. Well, not Welsh either...but I have heard that they wore cilts. binx
Is that the perception in the USA? Far from reality, I'm afraid! Apart from pipe band's (in Northern Ireland) 'single colour' Kilts (& visiting Scots to International matches in both countries), I never saw a single ''casual' Kilt in either Eire, or the North, during my once frequent visits. :shake: As for Welsh 'cilts', they are only a 'cilt' because the Welsh language is 5 letters short of an alphabet, one of them being "K"!!!!!!! Unless one uses the term in a Welsh sentence, then 'cilt' is not strictly correct! (So I'm told - my wife's half Welsh & it's not wise to argue!). I'm not sure when the first one (Kilt/'cilt') appeared (last 6/7 years?), but "Welsh" tartan registrations have 'snowballed' recently - which is fabulous, of course! But, like snowballs, they are still an exceeding rare sight. Again (apart from me!), I've only seen visiting Scots travelling to Cardiff/Dublin wearing Kilts in Wales - so far!