Chinese Clothing Arrived

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Chinese Clothing Arrived

Post by Yonkas »

For those of you who are still interested, my cheongsam arrived today, rather unexpectedly. The site said that I should expext a waiting period of 14 days, but the order arrived a week after it shipped. It's really cool, and fits perfectly, and looks good! I love the embroidered designs, especially the motif on the vest, It is a dress-like MUG designed for the male body. How about that?

I don't really have any complaints. There are some stray threads stiking out, but it's not really a problem. The order comes in a white parcel without plastic, so you may want to get plastic for this garment. For those of you interested in ordering from this site, I suggest that you specify your height. I almost made the mistake of not doing this. It is a good thing I thought of it, because from my correspondence with the proprietors, they were probably going to send me an order for a shorter person first.

Anyway, what I ordered is here:

http://www.orienttouch.com/product_info ... cts_id=868
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Those are beautiful, Yonkas! Did you get the red or blue? Either way you are going to be stunning.

Quiet Mouse
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Skirt Chaser wrote:Those are beautiful, Yonkas! Did you get the red or blue? Either way you are going to be stunning.
The rest of us lot are still waiting for photographs to be published. Take that as a not-so-subtle hint, Yonkas. :D

That "Joyous Landlord" rig looks absolutely glorious. I'm wondering how it wears and how it "works".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Trousers

Post by Since1982 »

I'm fairly certain that you need to wear long trousers with any of those Chinese men's cheongsams as they have slits at both sides that go up nearly to the hip and unless you sew them shut you need to wear something else under them that is modest. Every Chinaman I've seen in various movies and TV programs wearing them was wearing trousers under them. Case in point, they are worn in many of the current "Deadwood" programs on HBO premium TV, and always with trousers under. :naughty: :doh: :whiteflag
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

Skirt Chaser wrote:Those are beautiful, Yonkas! Did you get the red or blue? Either way you are going to be stunning.
I got the red one. It is very nice, although because of the slit up the side, I might have to do something else with it...
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

crfriend wrote:The rest of us lot are still waiting for photographs to be published. Take that as a not-so-subtle hint, Yonkas. :D

That "Joyous Landlord" rig looks absolutely glorious. I'm wondering how it wears and how it "works".
Hi. It is really cool and according to my family, looks good on me. Basically, the outfit has cords of fabric tied into knotted knobs that act as "buttons". Also, there is a slit up the side, which may be problematic. I may have to obtain a supplemental long, red, skirt to wear underneath, since the whole point is to wear an unbifurcated garment.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

Since1982 wrote:I'm fairly certain that you need to wear long trousers with any of those Chinese men's cheongsams as they have slits at both sides that go up nearly to the hip and unless you sew them shut you need to wear something else under them that is modest.
Yeah, I know, I've been aware of this since I firs put it on. The slits go to slightly below the crotch, so they don't really reveal anything. However, I want to try and obtaina red skirt to wear underneath. It might not be culturally kosher, but it will look really good. I'm half black anyway, and nowhere near Chinese.

I wonder how much it might cost to sew them shut...
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Just a thought

Post by Since1982 »

You might order a woman's cheongsam and wear it underneath, you could probably get the same material and patterns too. Or take it to any NY seamstress and pay about $20 or less to sew up the sides. However, if you have them just sewn up, the garment may look terrible because of the design of it was for the slits to be there. I think your idea of finding a red skirt that's satin or silk and closely resembles the garment you have is the best choice other than getting a woman's one and perhaps removing the top part if it bothers you and wearing it as a skirt. If I was thin enough to wear the woman's one under the men's one, I'd do it. No one would see the top part so what difference does it make? Plus, depending on where you were, if it got hot, you could remove the men's one and just wear the other one. The woman's one is very open in the upper part and probably quite cool. I realize the woman's one is a dress, but there's really no difference between a dress and a skirt on a man to anyone still thinking in the stone age and El Buitre seems to bring off the look of a man in a dress quite well. :):cool:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Yonkas wrote:I got the red one. It is very nice, although because of the slit up the side, I might have to do something else with it...
Getting a red skirt is one solution but also consider a long black skirt in a slick material, no hassle matching the reds.

Quiet Mouse
bcmtnbka

Post by bcmtnbka »

or you can wear spandex/lycra underneath it
Raphael

Chinese Blood, Kilted Heart, One United!

Join my Yahoo Kilts Night Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KiltsNight/

My Photo ALbum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fangfamily

My Blog: http://xingtheline.blogspot.com/
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Nice!

Post by binx »

Skirt Chaser wrote:Getting a red skirt is one solution but also consider a long black skirt in a slick material, no hassle matching the reds.

Quiet Mouse
How about a black slip? Where is the place you got this from? Their English seems a bit broken...

binx
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi.
I thought of a red slip--full/half length---that would hide wobbly bits, and keep you decent. Saves messing up the way cheongsam hangs, too
Greg
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi ,
After I poste previous missive, I thought that the weight of that Cheongsam PLUS a red skirt underneath, you are going to be a trifle hot. A cotton slip will be far cooler for you.
I have a long black skirt on at mo, unlined, no slip, and its getting really hot. So what you would feel like with that lot on, I couldn't imagine.
Greg
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Sorry about colur of font---pressed wrong blue
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bravehearts.us »

The red one for Noreen and the blue one for me.
Lar