That rare male compliment

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: That rare male compliment

Post by Faldaguy »

LiuBang wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:38 pm
Faldaguy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:27 am I've had a number of compliments about my skirts, mostly from women but rarely from men who seem to try to 'not notice'.
Interesting--I thought it typically is women who are more averse to male skirt-wearing than men are. Were any of the women complimenting your skirt wearing skirts/dresses themselves?

I believe the great majority, if not all, of the compliments I have received are genuine -- from either men or women; but far more women comment than men. I get the impression many more men would like to say something, positive or negative, but don't have the courage to do so -- or perhaps they just have reservations about commenting on other peoples clothing period -- "something (real) men don't do"?.

I really do not have a sense of if more women, or more men, are adverse to men wearing skirts; but I clearly feel it is still a rare event when a man compliments another man's skirt.
LiuBang

Post by LiuBang »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:08 am I believe the great majority, if not all, of the compliments I have received are genuine -- from either men or women; but far more women comment than men. I get the impression many more men would like to say something, positive or negative, but don't have the courage to do so -- or perhaps they just have reservations about commenting on other peoples clothing period -- "something (real) men don't do"?.

I really do not have a sense of if more women, or more men, are adverse to men wearing skirts; but I clearly feel it is still a rare event when a man compliments another man's skirt.
I appreciate compliments about my skirt from women more than I do from other men. While visiting Edinburgh a couple summers ago one of the locals complimented my kilt, and herself was wearing a dress. The fact that we were both wearing skirts really gave me a sense of gender equality.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Compliments from men, in my mind, are more significant. Not because they are less common, but because they give me hope for men's skirts catching on.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I think it is easier for a woman to compliment your skirt since she knows about skirts and is comfortable talking about them. A man is normally stumped at what to call it without offending you, never mind if it is nice or not.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I filled my bike up in Costco today so in trousers. In the next pump to me was a man in a long denim skirt. What to do? I took my helmet off and thought I can't just stare and walk off. So I went and said hello. I asked him if he was wearing a skirt, he said "er yes". I said it's very nice, more men should do it. He agreed and escaped in his car.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Did you mention that you wear skirts too? I doubt he'd have stopped for a chat about it, a petrol pump isn't really the place, but it would have been a moment of solidarity for you both.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Jim wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:03 am My wife had to be hospitalized in Peoria for about 8 days for neck surgery. I stayed with her, but got to go home once and changed into this dress for comfort. I wore it day and night about 4 days. A lead nurse (male) and a head doctor (female) mentioned it. The nurse thought it very practical and the doctor thought it looked good and wondered where I got it. DSCN4079cs.jpg

Catching up on this thread, I've just seen your picture for the first time. That looks comfortable and stylish!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

skirtyscot wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:10 am Did you mention that you wear skirts too? I doubt he'd have stopped for a chat about it, a petrol pump isn't really the place, but it would have been a moment of solidarity for you both.
You are right, I could/should have but I didn't. He looked so alarmed by me approaching him, so I kept it short.
It's a step in the right direction for me. Before I've looked and said nothing and kicked myself afterwards.

Edit
Although presenting as a MIS I thought he might be trans by his demeanor. I am also a trans ally so didn't want to make any assumptions
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:58 am Although presenting as a MIS I thought he might be trans by his demeanor. I am also a trans ally so didn't want to make any assumptions
It is easier when you meet another MIS, in a skirt, since you can duck the whole MIS/trans issue by connecting in both wearing a skirt. I did this to a guy in South Kensington while crossing the road. I say a guy since he had a moustache, but who knows and it didn't matter. They were wearing a skirt and appeared interesting, so I told him about this site and us.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

At a church camp picnic yesterday a young man I sometimes work with told me "nice overalls." I was wearing a corduroy jumper that I had picked up at a garage sale on Saturday for $1.00. (brand: Ellison, size M, US usage of "jumper").
Ellison-M_4cs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.