Skirts are mind blowingly good

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
steamman
Distinguished Member

Skirts are mind blowingly good

Post by steamman »

I hadn’t been out skirting for a while and today I decided to take the plunge to do a little shopping.

I chose my favourite skirt, a gorgeous A line black leather maxi (with 4 pockets!) with buttery soft leather and I teamed it with 5 inch block heel boots, a black shirt and a dark suit jacket. It was the Jonny cash man in black look.

Until I stepped out the car, I’d forgotten how liberating, how free you can feel in a skirt. It just felt so beautiful and what was even better is that there was a bit of wind, so I felt the breeze! It saddens me that so many men don’t know about this joy or how easy it is to actually do it if they are thinking about it and afraid to take the first step. I hope I encouraged at least one other man to think about giving it a go.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts are mind blowingly good

Post by shadowfax »

steamman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:56 pm I hadn’t been out skirting for a while and today I decided to take the plunge to do a little shopping.

I chose my favourite skirt, a gorgeous A line black leather maxi (with 4 pockets!) with buttery soft leather and I teamed it with 5 inch block heel boots, a black shirt and a dark suit jacket. It was the Jonny cash man in black look.

Until I stepped out the car, I’d forgotten how liberating, how free you can feel in a skirt. It just felt so beautiful and what was even better is that there was a bit of wind, so I felt the breeze! It saddens me that so many men don’t know about this joy or how easy it is to actually do it if they are thinking about it and afraid to take the first step. I hope I encouraged at least one other man to think about giving it a go.
I agree!
:thewave:
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

steamman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:56 pm I hadn’t been out skirting for a while and today I decided to take the plunge to do a little shopping.

Preaching to the choir here. We would love to see a picture or two, 5" block heel boots and leather skirt sound like a wicked combination. I hope this really positive trip out, inspires you to make many more. The more of us that are out there on the regular, the faster things will change.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I spent some time supervising a female Iranian PhD student. She once mentioned that she drank alcohol, which surprised me, but she volunteered to me that she was a Zoroastrian rather than a Shia Muslim so she was allowed to do that. She consistently wore jeans or leggings to our meetings, as did most female students. One day, she turned up in a longish, flouncy "ethnic" skirt and I was a bit surprised. The following week, she turned up in a different flouncy skirt - about mid-calf length -with elaborate patterns and embroidery. I didn't know Iranian women were allowed to wear such garments. On that second occasion, as she was about to leave my office, I commented on her skirt and said I thought it was beautiful. I had to be circumspect commenting on what female students wear - so as to remain professional and appropriate, but I thought I had known her long enough for her to take it in the way I had intended. She did and was delighted at the compliment and gave a little twirl which showed the huge amount of fabric. She said that she had started wearing skirts again after many years and found she loved the way they felt . I remember standing there in my usual trousers - I only wore trousers for work - and experiencing a momentary pang of envy.
steamman
Distinguished Member

Post by steamman »

Mouse wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:44 pm

Preaching to the choir here. We would love to see a picture or two, 5" block heel boots and leather skirt sound like a wicked combination. I hope this really positive trip out, inspires you to make many more. The more of us that are out there on the regular, the faster things will change.
I find the combination of wearing heels and a skirt intoxicating. It gives me such a boost of confidence and a certain swagger. I started to wear heels over 25 years ago, but I only discovered skirts about 6 to 7 years ago. I knew instantly how I wanted to wear skirts and I rarely wear them with flats, I suppose one exception is with flip flops in the summer. So much so that I never wear heels with trousers now, it has to be a skirt. If you are going to break “the rules”, you might as well go all the way. That’s the way I see it. Interestingly, some retailers such as asos now sell heeled styles for men.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

steamman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:37 pm I find the combination of wearing heels and a skirt intoxicating. It gives me such a boost of confidence and a certain swagger. I started to wear heels over 25 years ago, but I only discovered skirts about 6 to 7 years ago. I knew instantly how I wanted to wear skirts and I rarely wear them with flats, I suppose one exception is with flip flops in the summer. So much so that I never wear heels with trousers now, it has to be a skirt. If you are going to break “the rules”, you might as well go all the way. That’s the way I see it. Interestingly, some retailers such as asos now sell heeled styles for men.
I have always loved heels, but never with trousers. So when I started wearing skirts, I suddenly had the licence to buy all manner of footwear from flat soled boots to 10" boots. I like your ethos regarding rules, I am totally down for that.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Mouse, I am going to use a millennial expression: YOU ARE THE SH1T! Your personal style and fearlessness should be a model for other men here on the Cafe.

I really enjoy your posts.

Jamie
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:37 pm Mouse, I am going to use a millennial expression: YOU ARE THE SH1T! Your personal style and fearlessness should be a model for other men here on the Cafe.

I really enjoy your posts.

Jamie
Jamie, you are far far too kind. I am not special. I have found myself, late in life in a frankly unbelievable spot of being free as I never thought possible. The only thing I can think of doing, is to tell other men that it is totally possible to live your life in a skirt. I started my "Mouse at work and play..." http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24615 to show and give confidence to other men that I was living in skirts, day in, day out, in the middle of a world city, with no trouble, but with a bucket load of fun. I realise that not all men want as much skirt wearing as me, and that is fine. My point is that your skirt wearing is only limited by you and your internal thoughts and fears. In the UK, you can wear your skirts as much as you want, even everyday, as I am demonstrating.
steamman
Distinguished Member

Post by steamman »

Mouse wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:44 pm

I was inspired by this and I had another skirted outing today. I wore a beautiful chocolate suede maxi skirt with ruffles at the hem. It’s a fully lined skirt so feels gorgeous on. I wore a simple t shirt with it and a pair of Jeffrey Campbell Lita boots with 6” heels. I was at the supermarket looking for something and an older lady asked me if she could help me find what I wanted. No mention of the skirt whatsoever but what struck me is that had I been wearing jeans would she have approached me? I doubt it. It also strikes me that we are now in an age where nobody really cares what anyone wears as it should be. Men need to realise they have this right.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

steamman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:38 am I was inspired by this and I had another skirted outing today. I wore a beautiful chocolate suede maxi skirt with ruffles at the hem. It’s a fully lined skirt so feels gorgeous on. I wore a simple t shirt with it and a pair of Jeffrey Campbell Lita boots with 6” heels.
I am impressed and pleased that you have ventured out again in some serious foot ware. 6" heels with a platform sole are a nice usable height.
steamman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:38 am I was at the supermarket looking for something and an older lady asked me if she could help me find what I wanted. No mention of the skirt whatsoever but what struck me is that had I been wearing jeans would she have approached me? I doubt it.
I am convinced that a man in skirt is so much more approachable, than the same man in trousers. I seem to get into conversations I am sure I wouldn't have, if in trousers.
steamman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:38 am It also strikes me that we are now in an age where nobody really cares what anyone wears as it should be. Men need to realise they have this right.
You are so right steamman. I am in a skirt everyday, either around my home village in Cambridgeshire, in Central London, London suburbs or in the country at wherever my clients live. I have lived everyday in a skirt since 2021 and I have had no problems in doing so. I have worn matching heels in many places as well, with a recent jaunt across London in 7" heels while wearing a full outfit of latex I had made myself. NOBODY CARES. There are so many other weird people around that a man in a skirt is not note worthy any more.

I am convinced that the only thing holding a man back from skirting in the UK, is all in his head. He himself is limiting his skirting, not anybody else. Family plays a part, but again how you argue your right to wear a skirt with your family, is all in a mans control, nobody else.

steamman, I hope you have many more skirted outing and you get as much happiness out of them, as I do daily.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Yes heels and skirts are a magical combination. In my case, make that a dress. I don't mind the added height of heels, and dresses are a nice alternative to the traditional man's monkey suit (coat, tie, and trousers), especially if one attends a gravesite ceremony with the temperature over 38 °C/100 °F.

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Sounds like a stunning outfit, I would love to see it.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."