What are these knights wearing?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

What are these knights wearing?

Post by timemeddler »

does anyone know what these "dresses" would have been called ? I'm debating recreating something like this after I finish with my civil war outfit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What are these knights wearing?

Post by Mouse »

I am no historian so can't help you. However, I just wanted to say, where did we men go wrong? Skirts in bright colours, long hair, heels, they had it all. Now look at most men in 2024. (present company excepted)
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 am I am no historian so can't help you. However, I just wanted to say, where did we men go wrong? Skirts in bright colours, long hair, heels, they had it all. Now look at most men in 2024. (present company excepted)
We have Beau Brummell to thank and the Great Male Renunciation. That coupled with men's attitude to women and we've got ourselves in a situation that is hard to escape.

Do you think if we had been born then we would have still been eyeing up the dresses ? 🤔
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 pm Do you think if we had been born then we would have still been eyeing up the dresses ? 🤔
I always wanted the big skirts with all of the petticoats, so guess yes.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

ha ha new challenge. find some material like that and make a new outfit. thanks
Seb
Distinguished Member

Post by Seb »

That was a good time in mens clothing! I like the pattern of the skirts, I hope you find a name to it then maybe we can find some better pictures of the outfits.

I also think we would still be eyeing up the same peices even then.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

timemeddler wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am does anyone know what these "dresses" would have been called ? I'm debating recreating something like this after I finish with my civil war outfit.
I am going to guess that they are actually full-skirted coats or surcoats.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Skirt18220 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 pm ha ha new challenge. find some material like that and make a new outfit. thanks
I have a lot of yardage (amount unknown) of blue velour with an embossed design - probably from the 60’s or 70’s. I’m sure it would fit right in with the depicted era.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Just remember guys, the knights were uber wealthy and most definitely not wearing skirts as we understand them today.
Sure they had the colour and design available by by virtue of their wealth and power, but even they had limited limited freedoms over their clothing choices.
Gender boundaries were set and enforced much more strictly then than now, any female assigned item out of the question.
Even worse as one descends through the social strata of the time.
Steve.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Is this pattern similar to what you pictured :?:

It could be "modified" to be similar to the picture :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 pm
Mouse wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 am I am no historian so can't help you. However, I just wanted to say, where did we men go wrong? Skirts in bright colours, long hair, heels, they had it all. Now look at most men in 2024. (present company excepted)
We have Beau Brummell to thank and the Great Male Renunciation. That coupled with men's attitude to women and we've got ourselves in a situation that is hard to escape.

Do you think if we had been born then we would have still been eyeing up the dresses ? 🤔
Oh, I think I have done a pretty good job at escaping the situation you describe. I have long hair, wear heels and bright colors in the form of dresses, along with makeup. And I have gotten virtually no pushback with my attire. So I think the inhibitions of men with wearing dresses and heels are largely in their heads.

Women had a MUCH harder time being permitted to wearing trousers than my wearing dresses. So, if a man who wants to wear dresses and heels, along with makeup, he should DO SO.

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JohnH wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:22 am Oh, I think I have done a pretty good job at escaping the situation you describe. I have long hair, wear heels and bright colors in the form of dresses, along with makeup. And I have gotten virtually no pushback with my attire. So I think the inhibitions of men with wearing dresses and heels are largely in their heads.
I'll accept what you say about your "situation", however, with respect, you are one among many.
The strategies, you have adopted are unique in my experience and certainly at variance with a lot of MIS.
All power to you though, it works!
That said, you cannot know the circumstances surrounding others who have to exist in different cultures and countries.
The reality is that the fashion freedoms gained by women were catalysed by a wholly different set of circumstances.
Enough with the "in their heads" statements please, that isn't constructive or helpful and appears derogatory.
Your take is interesting, mine is mine, men's struggle is chalk to women's cheese.
"Oh, wid that some giftie gie us, tae see oorselves as ithers see us" Robert Burns.
Steve.